Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 309 Fifth Avenue - Hotel/Condo - by Ismael Levya

309-311. 307, a great old tall loft building isn't going anywhere.

DOB stats are 34 stories/452 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    Ismael Leyva is quickly becoming my favorite NYC architect. Angles, setbacks, cutouts, things we don't see enough of.

This tower is awesome!

I agree. He kicks ass, and this tower is great!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I wonder why the height is so much higher than one would expect from a 34-story tower.

Also, in those renderings it does not look to be 450 feet tall.

Here's a look at the site thanks to Google Maps' new Street View feature:

I've outlined the project site in red.

Emporis says 303 5th at the corner is 20 stories/268 feet. Looking at the renderings it looks like it goes ~15 stories or so above it, so I think 452 is a believable number. After it's built we can see how it compares to 325 5th (471 feet).

His tower on 8th Ave is 42 stories/566 feet. Maybe Leyva submits the true height of the building to the DOB, then both heights would make better sense.

Horrid.

Who wants a glass wall at street level on this stretch of 5th? And all of those balconies? The fine buildings of 5th never had them.... too common. (notice how Robert Stern has the balconies at 15CPW on the set-backs.... not sticking out.)

The whole thing looks cheap and predictable. It would be "nice" on 3rd.... but this is FIFTH.... a street that is almost a brand name.

See the stuff going up on Bond? That's the quality you want here. Innovative but UNDERSTATED....elegant, sophisticated. Chic.

This just further dilutes the streets style.

It really saddens me because I love 5th and feel it should be safeguarded. There are stretches of it that are still intact (a miracle), it has a very unique architectural atmosphere... any new additions should be held to high design standards.

I could cry.

---
    Last edited by Fabrizio; June 6th, 2007 at 02:16 AM.

How did this monstrosity get by the Historic folks? They worried and fine-tuned the much better Perkins Eastman scheme into a respectful little masterpiece. This is just bad taste.

Banned Member

Look, we could've seen a Gene Kaufman POS go up instead. I count us as lucky.

(Moderators, I'm assuming that, when writing about Gene Kaufman, the use of POS to describe his designs is mandatory.)

Between this and 785 Eighth Leyva is creating a style -- one which could wear out its welcome very quickly if he keeps putting them up in the wrong places.

The Dude Abides

It could have done without the balconies, and the setback occurs too low. The problem with most of Levya's projects is that they all use a fairly dark, reflective glass, which doesn't create a classy look. I have a feeling this one will end up looking a lot like his 57th street tower:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=ismael+levya

I just realized that thread^ is very scant on pictures. I'm in the area, so I'll try to get a few close-ups of the detail later today.

Perkins Eastman's tower is located inside the Ladies Mile Historic District. Leyva's is not. This tower is no worse than 325 5th, who's sea-green glass could not be more out of place. Blue glass, on the other hand, is much classier looking.

Considering what BR said, I will take this over an O'Hara or Kaufman brick box. It might fit in better on West 42nd, but this building is one of the best ones I've seen of late. I do agree the streetwall could stand to be somewhat higher, and possibly contain some stone, but otherwise, this building takes advantage of unique geometry and delivers something unique.

Leyva's architecture has people talking. His Brooklyn flatiron and 785 8th have recieved a lot of attention before construction even began. How often does that happen? Place 57 turned out stunning, I think. He is, IMO, fast on the rise, and I hope he is commissioned much more in the future.

The Dude Abides

Here's that Levya building on 57th street that I was talking about. Similar shape, similar glass. It actually came out looking pretty good today.

It's a crapshoot on how his 57th street tower will look. In the morning, as I am passing by on my way across town, the glass usually looks way too green and reflective for my liking. Meanwhile, late in the day, or in indirect light, the glass looks pretty respectable.

It looks great in that shot. It does, however, have a terrible blank east wall. It borders a mid-rise white brick apartment building so it will likely never be covered up either.

Thankfully this one does not.

^ Yes I have seen the other side. Not too good. But the side facing west is nice.

Oh and the new building looks good to me.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast