Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 309 Fifth Avenue - Hotel/Condo - by Ismael Levya

Never fear, Amanda Burden has made sure no Jean Nouvel skyscrapers will mar the city's skyline. I'm sure that will make up for this terribleness.

On the bright side, given this "building"'s relatively prominent location, maybe the architectural elite of the city (the Times' critics and the like) will finally wake up to the current wave of absolutely wretched architecture going up. They can ignore it when it's happening in the Garment District, when they walk a block from their own apartments to go to NYU protest meetings rather than concern themselves with what happens on 37th Street.

This building is no worse than any of the cheap hotels destroying other neighborhoods, but maybe its prominent location will mean that the Kimmelmans and Goldbergers actually cross paths with it.

The problem is that this building isn't much different than any number of apartment buildings already built here and without that effect. I mean, what's that pile of glass and balconies across the street from ESB? That's only a couple blocks from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This area sure has gotten its share of sh*tty new high-rises. Sky House, S 34, Tower 31, Twenty9th Park Madison, 325 Fifth, Eventi, The Magellan, The Belvedere, The Charleston, The Anthem, the cookie cutter apartments that replaced the Flower Dstrict and a dozen McSams. There's not one new building on these blocks that's not mediocre. Maybe Gansevoort Park Avenue and the Continental?
    Last edited by Derek2k3; July 21st, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

At least the Skyhouse has nice brick. 309 5th and the blue glass POS to the north have cheap facades.

Depends how far you go in either direction. 400 Fifth on the far left (and the building that is being wrapped up next to it), and One Madison Park on the far right are both very nice. I also really like the reclad of 100 Park Ave. The sea of not so good buildings (everything on 6th Ave, the Epic, etc) is overwhelming comparatively, though.

Crane jumped a few days ago.

Cladding has reached the 7th floor on this atrocity

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceva321/7705799368/

Wow, that one is sprouting up fast: we almost missed this one. Sadly, this one is a basic boxy overall form, and the curtain wall looks cheep/flimsy. Most of the time, a simple rectilinear form like that is OK enough; but then some compensating attribute needs to be added, to help raise it above the level of architectural mediocrity.

In this case the least they could have done is install a truly 'high grade' curtain wall: high quality/well detailed mullions and an upgrade on the glass would have made a world of difference.

Well, that being said: I sure there are a few mitigating circumstances that we are just not 'in on'. LOL

It's not quite a box. It west facade folds inward at the middle. The real problem is the cheap facade.

I'll take pics Monday, but this is topped out. The mullions are too aggressive. It hurts the quality of the facade. It breaks the streetwall too quickly at the base as well.

Sigh.

Compared to that 'now renting' building next door this one looks almost 'great'. It is nice enough though, and when that 'swoopy' structure on the top is completed this one definitely gets a thumbs up from my perspective. That being said, I am sure an easy 'A' when it comes to new buildings/construction.

Also, what happened to those "aggressive" mullions: they seem quite tame now that the facade is completed......LOL

They're still aggressive (too thick) compared to every other all glass building in the photo. Instead of being a fresh tower, it's closer to a smear. Hopefully painting the blank concrete section will brighten it up some.

What an absolutely f..ked up city. It's B.S. that this POS could rise next to our greatest Icon, the ESB.

This area has scores of beautiful, low-rise structures. I hope that they are not razed and replaced with crap like this.

I aslo hope that whatever JD Carlisle is planning on Madison and 33rd is nice and not some cheap POS like this thing.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 30th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast