Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: JB Memorial Moving Forward

Let me know where and when. I may be able to help with the cleanup.

Also, donation location (mailing addy, etc) would be handy.

Banned Member

The project location will be at

Maggie's Garden, 149th Street and Broadway

Tax deuctible contributions can be made at The New York Restoration Project website: www.nyrp.org

Please enter "Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial Project" in the "comments" section on the credit card page.

Credit card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please note restricted to Hehman Memorial on your check).

New York Restoration Project
    254 West 31st Street,
    10th Floor
    New York, NY 10001

We ask that anyone contributing please send the WiredNewYork Project Team and email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep a running tally of contributions and send out WiredNewYork acknowledgements.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT THE LATEST PROJECT INFO FOR GUESTS TO THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL SITE FOR THE PROJECT WAS THE FAMILY GARDEN ON 114TH STREET. MAGGIE'S GARDEN BETTER SUITS OUR PROJECT GOALS AT THIS TIME.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.

So far we have the following commitments; I don’t want to force anybody to do anything, but I would like to hold everyone to remembering a great young man. I also want to make clear that everything helps, $10 helps (don't feel obliged to donate $100 if you cannot afford $100), an hour of work (if you have school or work before or after the day we decided to build), or upkeep through the year if you cannot make it. I am posting this here so people do not forget their commitment to JB. Without a community commitment nothing will happen to remember him, as is the nature of an online community we’re still in danger of losing support as we go about our everyday lives, and the danger of the entire project falling apart. I am trusting Brooklyn (Rob) with the administration, I’ll do my part to gathering everybody together. If you want to be added to the list, change your commitment, or if you would like to be removed please tell either Brooklyn or myself.

Labor:

Jasonik

BrooklynRider

Kliq6

Schadenfrau

JCMAN320

Ninjahedge

Stern

Money:

greenie

krulltime

phxmania2001

Brooklyn Rider

Ablarc

Kliq 6

Fabrizio

lofter1

NewYorkYankee

BPC

ZippyTheChimp

Merry

Undecided:

fioco

ryan
    Last edited by NoyokA; April 12th, 2006 at 02:45 PM.

Forum Veteran

i can donate money and my time, such a sad story

Stern, I am sure there would be much wider support than your list implies once the project takes shape. BR did a great job outlining a list of questions in NYRP thread that need to be answered. At this stage the organizational aspect is a priority, with BrooklynRider on the front line. So possibly organizational help to BR, like making calls or contacts, would be appropriate?

Could we also just publish (temporary) sticky links to this thread at the tops of other forums? I don't usually visit the "Forum Issues" thread, and if not for a private message from someone, would have gone on oblivious that TLOZ was gone and who he was and that this whole memorial movement had taken shape. I suspect that others who contribute to the other threads in other forums might be similarly oblivious.

In addition to creating a suitable memorial, I suspect that some forum members might be interested in personally monitoring the criminal cases as they move through the court system instead of relying upon whatever is said about them in the tabloids. This would involve visits from time to time to the Criminal Courts building to watch and listen. I would certainly volunteer to be part of that effort. Like the "Central Park jogger" case, to which this has already been compared, the NYPD has apparently obtained video and other "statements" from the juvenile defendants, and we all now know what a travesty that investigation turned out to be (while the actual rapist remained free).

There seem to be more than a few forum participants who live in lower Manhattan or Brooklyn (near the courthouse) who may even have flexible work schedules and could join in such an effort. And no one's experience of NYC can be complete without spending a few hours at least inside 100 Centre Street.

As mentioned earlier, I'd like to contribute $100.

Banned Member

I just concluded a productive teleconference with NYU Office of Public Affairs. Understandably, they are honoring the family's request for privacy at this time. That puts some constraints on their ability to help us make this project known to NYU students who might want to help. However, we are pursuing other avenues of communication.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 11th, 2006 at 05:37 PM.

I'll donate some money - can't afford $100, but I could swing $20-30. Depending on when this cleanup happens I'll be down for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    Could we also just publish (temporary) sticky links to this thread at the tops of other forums?
    Good idea, I should have thought about it myself. I have posted a global announcement that appears on top of every forum.

I humbly offer my time and labor for this cause. I can offer my design/drafting services if they would help with anything; I don't know what if anything is needed.

R.I.P. TLOZ

I will definitely donate money.

Banned Member

Friends,

NYU's Washington Square News newspaper just called for an interview about this project. I handled this round, however, if anyone else has experience dealing with the press, please contact me. We need more people to assist in communicating why we are doing this and what we hope to accomplish. We need people who are passionate about this, but who also understand that speaking on the record means being very articulate, using ambiguities when necessary and not allowing yourself to be led into saying things that can be misconstrued. Our vision is for this to be a memorial to TLOZ by the entire forum community. We are hopeful that we have opportunities to get more voices and opinions expressed on the record.

If you can help with communications or public relations, please PM me.

So, it looks like this project has gained traction. Thank you all for your input, participation, enthusiasm and willingness to act as a community to make statement in the city!

Tax deuctible contributions can be made at The New York Restoration Project website: www.nyrp.org

Please enter "Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial Project" in the "comments" section on the credit card page.

Credit card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please note restricted to Hehman Memorial on your check).

New York Restoration Project
    254 West 31st Street,
    10th Floor
    New York, NY 10001

We ask that anyone contributing please send the WiredNewYork Project Team and email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep a running tally of contributions and send out WiredNewYork acknowledgements.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT THE LATEST PROJECT INFO FOR GUESTS TO THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL SITE FOR THE PROJECT WAS THE FAMILY GARDEN ON 114TH STREET. MAGGIE'S GARDEN BETTER SUITS OUR PROJECT GOALS AT THIS TIME.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.

Thumbs up

I also want to donate money for this memorial to our online friend.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast