Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: JB Memorial Moving Forward

Banned Member

Wow! Jasonik, this is brilliant. I am so incredibly moved by it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik

The above quote is not from our very own forum, but is the most fitting thing to be associated with TLOZ and the Family Garden - IMO.

This moving statement is posted here, the night after his parents renewed their wedding vows on their 25th wedding anniversary.
    Yes thank you Jasonik! I think that it is just perfect to what we might want to put on the memorial.

BTW, I just made my donation.

I made my donation. Great work, BR. You really pulled this together fast.

Default JB Memorial

I am very glad that this forum actively pursued a memorial for JB. However, the site that NYRP proposed is traditionally an italian area ( note the famous RAO restaurant) and almost a mile away from where JB was attacked.

There is a park called Harlem River Park ( located at 131st street & Lexington) where some of the thugs lived across from. Couldn't the NYRP work with that property, where I am sure the community was be amenable and therefore engage the area residents and kids to volunteer and participate?

Just a thought. From everything I read about JB, I think he would have preferred that.

Banned Member

We appreciate the input Jennifer. The first inquiry we sent regarding a memorial was to the City of New York, Department of Parks. We never received a response. We agree that public parks can use this kind of support and that was our first attempt. After determining that they were not going to respond, we looked for other options. The New York Restoration Project (NYRP) was offered as an alternative.

NYRP has a credible track record and have accomodated us from the first phone call. They respond to phone calls, emails and seem to be ready to work with us. We have to look at the big picture. We are an untested group as far as "real world" goes. We received pledges of $995 dollars and have received $675 to date. We are not experts in this field and, frankly, we're kind of flying by the seat of our pants. Personally, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, but I'm following my instinct. Believe me when I tell you I am praying to J.B. to guide us through this project successfully (figuring he is closer to or a part of a greater force that can help.)

I think that thus far this has appeared to be quite effortless, but we have a handful of people who are now in roles of project advisor, public relations, communications, email monitoring, accounting, graphic design and operations. It's all new to us. Luckily, I work for a firm that has given me some latitude at work to handle the press inquiries and communications with NYRP (and they say they will contribute to the project).

I totally understand what you are suggesting and the spirit in which you offer it. However, by working with NYRP the project becomes tax-deductible and we have received generous donations when you review the contributions versus dollars collected that have been reported. I am extremely hopeful that others will step up to help WiredNewYork make a definitive statement about JB, his contributions to this community and the impact of his loss.

This is the project right now. Tomorrow I will be in communication with the NYRP Director of Development, who will address our desire to enhance what we are doing and possibly expand the project beyond the Maggie's Garden after fulfilling our mutually agreed upon objectives there. Whether we raise enough money or not, NYRP is committed to help us move forward with the project.

I guess I should go on the record here and announce that we are optimistically aiming for a $5,000 target at this point. That with the hope that NYU students kick in lots of small donations after reading the NYU News reports of the project.The leadership committee, made up of WNY volunteers, tentatively believes we can accomplish the full scope of our vision with that amount - even if we must take components to different areas in Upper Manhattan. I have every confidence that NYRP is behind us 100% in meeting our goals. But, again, we are all new to this and we won't know anything until we get closer to May 13th and our funding goal.

Moments ago I issued a press release announcing the project to select news organizations with the hope that they will run a story on the project. I've never done this before. It seemed like the right thing to do. I'm hoping we get more conrtibutions that allow us to execute this project and maybe fulfill a forum wish list for projects in the neighborhood. I have two huge fears as I head to bed tonight. (1) That the press release will be ignored and we fail to raise the money we are estimating we need. (2) That the press release is picked up and I spend hours talking to reporters hoping I say the right things and hoping I don't piss anyone off.

I hope you can rallly around this project in its current incarnation and be a contributing part of it with your time or money. I think many of the forum members who have dealt with me for a while know that I am getting a crash course in diplomacy. I don't know why I jumped into this position, but I have to go back to that word "instinct." It felt right. It still feels right and I believe we can do this. But, I also believe that WiredNewYork.com is a real community. Our reactions to JBs death were real and sincere, and our desire to "do somehing" seemed tangible. I am walking and talking in this role with confidence - because we are going to do this and make a statement on JB's behalf about peace, about healing and about community. We are gong to be JB's ambassadors of compassion and kindness. If an Italian neighborhood benefits, then we won the hearts and minds of an Italian neighborhood who knew nothing of JB or WiredNewYork before we acted. If we fail, well, I fail. I am willingly and enthusiastically in this role, self-doubt, anxieties and all. But if anything goes wrong or if we do not execute this with dignity that earns the respect of JB's family, my name is out there and Edward's name is out there. That's where the arrows will be aimed.

So, I respectively ask you and our forum community to get on board. It's going to be a wild and fun ride into unknown territory. We are going to do this and JB is going to be remembered for how he lived - not how he died.

Right now, I can really relate to the following quote / phrase that is attributed to Georgia O'Keefe. It sums up where I am right now and strikes the righht chord for me:

"I've been terrified every moment of my life and I never let it stop me from doing anything I wanted to do."

So, friends, work with me here. Thanks!

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT THE LATEST PROJECT INFO FOR GUESTS TO THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL SITE FOR THE PROJECT WAS THE FAMILY GARDEN ON 114TH STREET. MAGGIE'S GARDEN BETTER SUITS OUR PROJECT GOALS AT THIS TIME.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 05:15 PM.

Very nice graphic. If you grid this picture painting a mural is a very simple thing to do. I threw this grid together in five seconds just to show the approach. Each sqaure would be multiplied several times over and several people would be responsible for several squares. I've done murals this way many a times, its very simple and the results are rather good, they will especially be good with this graphic.

I'm having a bit of trouble making my donation on the NYRP website, but I'll find a way!

Banned Member

Hi Meredith-

I have contacted NYRP as well and hope to have this glitch resolved ASAP. Stay tuned! ! I think they will be impressed that our project is international in scope. Mucho gracias!

Stern and Friends-

I'm not shy about asking NYRP about a mural, but think we might want to check alternative sources. Any ideas?
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 07:59 AM.

Banned Member

Default From NYU's Washington Square News

They got it all right, except the amount raised to date. I'm not certain how that number was arrived at as the only firm numbers I had at the time we spoke last evening were $995 in pledges and $675 in confirmed contributions. But, we'll take it. I hope other forum meembers can contribute any amount to get us to at least that $1500 mark and please let us know if you contributed by sending us an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com noting your WNY Username and contriubution amount.

Harlem garden to honor junior's life
    By Kaveri Marathe
    Assignment Editor

April 13, 2006

WiredNewYork.com, in conjunction with the New York Restoration Project, has chosen to rejuvenate the Family Garden in East Harlem to honor Broderick John “JB” Hehman, the CAS junior who died April 4. The garden is located at East 114th Street between 1st Avenue and Pleasant Avenue, and the renovation is set to begin May 13.

Hehman fell into a coma on April 1 after he was struck by car in Harlem while allegedly fleeing four young muggers.

A senior member of the Wired forum, said regardless of whether the garden can be renamed for Hehman, his memorial will still be established.

“I know nothing at this point about naming rights or options, but a permanent memorial will be established in the garden,” he said.[BrooklynRider Note: Naming options are not available and this project has been moved to Maggie's Garden at 149th and Broadway]

Wired has already collected around $1,500 for the project, though they hope to collect at least $5,000, he said, adding that they hope to name a tree, bench or plaque for Hehman.

The group is working with the New York Restoration Project — a nonprofit organization specializing in rejuvenating the city’s parks and greenspaces — the group with which they found the garden, he said.

“It was a meeting of minds,” he said. “They made it clear that they are helping us with our project.”

According to an April 12 press release, the project is a reaction by the virtual community to “bring something constructive and productive to the community.”

“A project that reflects the compassion and kindness of JB Hehman that will enhance the community with a beautiful, sincere and lasting asset, which will be executed and dedicated by our anonymous members in JB Hehman's memory,” according to the release.

Cammiso said the project will honor Hehman's memory and not the incident surrounding his death.

“It’s not about the crime. It’s not about what happened to JB,” he said. “It’s about celebrating his life.”

Hehman was a member of the WiredNewYork community and a prolific contributor to the forum with 3,320 posts since Nov. 13, 2002. He made his final post to the forum on April 1, 2006, three days prior to his death.

“[Hehman] was a gentle soul and a light-hearted guy, and, in the mix of his almost daily posts, were words of wisdom, foresight and introspection that seem beyond his 20 years,” Cammiso said.

WiredNewYork is a community of 585 active members and thousands of guests discussing New York City architecture, real estate, culture, politics and issues impacting New Yorkers.

The virtual community invites “New Yorkers who wish to channel their energies into a demonstration of peace, community and healing,” according to the press release.

To donate to the project, visit www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate and restrict your funds to the JB Hehman project in the comments box.

[BrooklynRider note to readers: please, if you make an online contribution, contact WiredNewYork at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep our contribution tally climbing.]
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; June 1st, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Banned Member

Thought I'd move the tally forward, I'll be updating this post for now as we get more donations.

Contributions Received (as noted to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com)

Fundraising was begun on 4/12/06 at 10:27AM
    12 Contributions Received as of 4/13/06 at 5:40PM
    Total To Date: $910

Please contribute today! All donations are tax-deductible.

Please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
    2) Select your amount.
    3) Continue and enter your personal information.
    4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
    5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

THIS RUNNING TOTAL HAS BEEN FROZEN - SEE OUR LATEST TOTAL IN POST #112
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 17th, 2006 at 04:23 PM.

Banned Member

A message from Brian Sahd at NYRP:

The response to the project, at this early stage, is impressive. You are doing a great service to the memory of JB.

Regarding international donations from Susan Madden at NYRP:

Thank you for bringing [international donation problems] to our attention. I will let the firm that handles our web site know about this. In the meantime, credit card donations can be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to our address listed below.

I will give you a call today to discuss the article that appeared in WiredNewYork.com. As you may be aware, this garden has already been completed restored through a generous grant from the Tiffany & Co. Foundation. While we can certainly beautify the garden further with flowers and a bench, we need to be sensitive to the fact that this garden has been named and restored by Tiffany.

I look forward to speaking to you soon, and thank you again for your interest in NYRP and the wonderful work you are doing in memory of your friend.

We remind anyone making a donation by fax or mail to specify "Resticted to JB Hehman Memorial Project." And, we continue to ask donors to shoot us an email at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so that we can report on our collection this far. Thanks.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 11:01 AM.

Banned Member

Default Logistical Change

The project location has been changed to:

Maggie's Garden at 149th Street and Broadway.

We believe we will have greater ability to bring our vision to fruition here, i.e. plant a tree and install a plaque for JB and perhaps install a bench as well. This will be in addition to planting the perennials as previously outlined in our project details.

Everything else is the same. To ensure the info is clear to any new people visiting this thread, I am editing my earlier posts and ask other forum members to make necessary changes to their posts to remove any confusion from the thread for forum guests. I think it is kind of unprecedented to request edits, but clarification is needed.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    To ensure the info is clear to any new people visiting this thread, I am editing my earlier posts and ask other forum members to make necessary changes to their posts to remove any confusion from the thread for forum guests.
    This will only confuse people that have visited the thread earlier. Please refer people to http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/ for current information and keep the discussion in chronological order.

Banned Member

Thank you Edward. I got heat this morning for the publication of information that was picked up from the earlier portion of this thread. I need to respectfully ask people to understand that I am changing project references from the original site to the new site to avoid the problem I had this morning. We need this project to succeed and I need to meet the requests of those helping us. PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR THIS.

I will note that the post has been edited. If people come here and do not read through, it is going to hurt
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 13th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.

Banned Member

Default Holy Moly This Big!!

We got an interview with the New York Daily News. We should have article published tomorrow or over the weekend!! I will be out of town. Someone please post it!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast