Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: JB Memorial Moving Forward

BR & I had a terrific meeting with Susan Madden, Brian Sahd and William Curtis-Bey of NYRP today. They are quite enthusiastic about our plans to create a beautiful and meaningful memorial for JB. Some details are still being worked out --so it will still be a few days before we publish the full scope.

But for the interested visitors to our forum: please be assured that everything is moving in the right direction.

Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden" is set for Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon.

Planting VOLUNTEERS needed and WELCOME!!

Please join the wirednewyork community on that day and help us begin our efforts to keep JB's spirit -- and his love for NYC -- alive.

More up-dates will follow.

And hats off to BR, Schadenfrau, Edward and all the other members of wirednewyork who are making this effort a reality!!

After some back and forth it was decided that the time is right to post some additional info on the outcome of our meeting with NYRP and the JB Hehman Memorial.

Sorry if this goes on a bit too long but there is a lot of good news ...

The Meeting

After talking about JB and his intense passion for NYC some ideas came forward for a great way to memorialize JB. The folks at NYRP are very impressed with the money and commitment that our community has brought forth so far and they have no doubt that we will exceed the goal we previously discussed (BrooklynRider will up-date the forum with the specifics about the money end of things).

Our fundraising gives us the opportunity to not only help to create a more beautiful spot at Maggie's Garden in memory of JB but also to help the youth of the Northern Manhattan / South Bronx in a more long-term way.

By raising our fundraising goal a notch or two the thought is to create something along the lines of the JB Hehman Memorial Endowment for Urban Environmental Education (or something along those lines).

This type of educational outreach is something with which NYRP has had great success. You can read more about their programs & efforts:

Environmental Education and Recreational Programs

Community Programs

The Endowment Fund

During our meeting it became apparent that such an Endowment Fund could be a great vehicle to fulfill some of JB's interests regarding Urban Planning and Community Enrichment. With our efforts this could prove to be a terrific "perpetual" Memorial to JB.

The Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden"

Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon is when the planting will take place.

WE will need to enlist & organize VOLUNTEERS -- so clear your calendars!! The idea is to prepare some of the beds (Maggie has gotten a head start on us and started turning some of the beds -- I hear she grows some great tomatoes!) and PLANT.

William will be our leader in this effort and he's checking with Maggie to see exactly what she might want planted. Most likely we will be planting annual flowers, some vines along the back fence to go with the wysteria & other vines that were previously planted -- as well as some new perennial grasses in the rear area. There are possibilities for us to do even more at Maggie's Garden that day -- just some of the details that we're still working out.

All in all the effort so far by the wirednewyork community has been OUTSTANDING.

Together we can make this partnership with NYRP a really terrific way to honor JB.

PS: BrooklynRider will be giving more details soon.

Banned Member

Following up Lofter's post above, we are pushing forward to meet the challenge from NYRP to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education.

Our goal is $10,000. We can do this. I will write a press release over the weekend and create an appeal letter for any individual's who wish to solicit family, friends and, especially, employers. I am happy to report than my employer responded by contributing double my donation. I encourage everyone to simply "ask."

We raised $2600 in five days.

$10,000 WE CAN DO THIS.

This will allow JBs spirit to touch inner-city children through education. The envoronmental education programs are particularly aimed at getting minority youth to focus, gain knowledge and interest in earth sciences. Statistically, this is an area of education not typically pursued by minorities. This endowment can create programs in JBs name with the endowment operating in perpetuity. It would also be a fund to which individuals could contribute annually to grow the fund or to contribute to in honor or memory of a loved one.

In our postings in other threads we challenge the imagination and vision of real estate developers, architects, urban planners, politicians, and the public at large. Again, this is the time for us to demonstrate imagination and creativity and resolve and perseverance.

THIS my friends is a JUST and NOBLE cause. THESE are the kinds of actions and commitments that should have priority in our community.

This project is WiredNewYork. We are putting an emphasis on the "wired" portion of the community name. Use your network of friends to encourage support. Work your network of colleagues and neighbors to get their backing. Let's get others WIRED to WiredNewYork and this project.

We have donations now from the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. If you know anyone in any of the other fifty states please encourage them to join a national coalition for peace, education, compassion and kindness. How many states can we get to support us? 10? 25? 50?

We have donations from Italy and Australia. We encourage our international forum members writing from the UK, Germany, Canada, France and Russia to make a donation. If every person who made a donation gets one other person to make a donation and commit to getting one more person to give, we can be at our goal in an astonishing peiod of time.

The Endowment idea is FANTASTIC!!

Banned Member

Hello Friends-

I sent out what passes for a press release from a passionate, but inexperienced public relations novice. I am doing all I can think of to get our message out and create a lasting endowment in JB's name. This is our community's project and we need the wider New York City real world as well as others who are fed up with senseless violence to join this cause. Many of us at WiredNewYork have already backed up our passion for remembering JB with action or funding for this project. It is a success regardless of whether we hit $10,000 or not.

With that said, working within and coordinating a virtual community is sort of like herding cats. We're dealing with intelligent beings who have diverse interests, lifestyles, priorities and direction. Yet, this would not be called the WiredNewYork "Community" if I could not stand in this virtual town square and ask for your help.

I need help.

However good or effective our press release today was regarding our expanded scope and intention to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education, it would create a sense of community urgency and interest if everyone could write their own "letter to the editor" to send to the NY Dailies as well as any local publications in your area. Newspapers respond to reader mail and story suggestions. I am on virtual bended knee asking you each to create a letter to the editor endorsing this project and its mission. Please convey the passion of our community for this project and our desire to involve other New yorkers who want to channel their reaction to this incident into something constructive.

They have heard from me - repeatedly. I think I am coming across as one extremely passionate voice in the wilderness. It is only a hunch, but I think that if they hear from us in letters, the curiousity will be aroused and this might turn into a "human interest" story in which the emotion as well as the details of the project can be equally covered. It is our passionate response that, for me, makes this project so interesting, exciting, unique, and newsworthy. And, of course, the fact that we would not recognize each other if we were all locked in the same room.

So thre it is. I need and I am asking for your help. A bunch of us are working on the project but 50 peole calling and writing to the papers has more effect than one person. Write one letter and send it to every paper you can.

We can have an absolutely lovely memorial project with the money so generously given thus far. We can create a lasting and giving memorial that will not only educate the youth of upper Manhattan, but also continuously keep J.B. Hehman's name and spirit alive for years and decades to come.

It has been an honor to work with and on behalf of this community thus far. "Fear" and "Excitement" - they feel the same in my body. Fear will paralyze, while excitement will mobilize.

Let's all get excited.

Warm regards-

BrooklynRider (Rob)

Default JB Hehman Memorial -- DONATION Info

Please help us with a tax deductible donation for JB's Memorial; just follow the instructions below.

ONLINE: To DONATE using a Credit Card please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
    2) Select your amount.
    3) Continue and enter your personal information.
    4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial

By FAX, using a Credit Card:

Credit Card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886.

By MAIL:

Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please write "Restricted to the JB Hehman Memorial" on your check).
    New York Restoration Project
    254 West 31st Street,
    10th Floor
    New York, NY 10001
    FINALLY:
    Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, after you DONATE send an email to:Let us know how much you contributed (so we can maintain a running total for our community). And, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Thank you in advance for your generosity and your help.
    Last edited by lofter1; April 22nd, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    International contributors, I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

4/18/06 Update - NYRP still working on problem. Mentioned they might utilize PAYPAL or another similar online feature. Stay tuned...
    Still not fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Still not fixed.
    Would have been time to send an international money order by snail mail.

Or: would even a personal check have worked?

Has the deadline passed? I don't want to use those payment methods. If they don't take care of it as they said they would, I'll call.

Banned Member

The deadline has not passed, but we are in the homestretch of the last ten ddays before this project. You can call Breanne Scanlon at NYRP at 212-333-2552 or email here at BScanlon@NYRP.org and she can assist you. Some of other international friends worked through her to get the transaction completed quickly. Please remember to stae it is for the JB Hehman Fund, so they go into the WiredNewYork project. For anyone else reading this, please lcontribute to day. The information is provided above. If you would like to join the volunteer team for May 13th, let us know here and by sending an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Ultimately, you need to be at Maggie's Garden at 10:00AM on the 13th.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    The deadline has not passed, but we are in the homestretch of the last ten ddays before this project. You can call Breanne Scanlon at NYRP at 212-333-2552 or email here at BScanlon@NYRP.org and she can assist you. Some of other international friends worked through her to get the transaction completed quickly. Please remember to stae it is for the JB Hehman Fund, so they go into the WiredNewYork project. For anyone else reading this, please lcontribute to day. The information is provided above. If you would like to join the volunteer team for May 13th, let us know here and by sending an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Ultimately, you need to be at Maggie's Garden at 10:00AM on the 13th.

Thank you!
    I'd like to volunteer. Please send me information via PM. Also, to keep JB's memory alive and it's just a thought but can't his username on here be elevated to moderator status? I don't want to get into the "he's watching over us, etc" type of scenario but it would, in my opinion be a fitting and lasting tribute to him and his memory. Again, just a thought.

Banned Member

Exclamation Final Push And Appeal - Please Commit Now!!

If you have come to this thread to learn about this project and memorial, I will attempt to break down the information for you in a way that is easy to understand:

Day Of Service In Memory of JB Hehman
    On Saturday, May 13th, anyone wishing to volunteer may join us at Maggie's Garden. Maggie's Garden is located at 564 West 149th Street just east of Broadway. We need 10 to 30 volunteers, but can accomodate as many as show up. Maggie's Garden is a garden restored and maintained by the New York Restoration Project (NYRP). Our project will entail sprucing up the garden for Spring, turning and weeding flower beds, installing new perennial plantings and pruning trees. The cost of installing a mature flowering tree with a memorial plaque in Jb's name is $1250. The cost of installing a beautiful park ornamental cement bench with a commermorative plaque is $2500. Reaching a goal of $5,000 will allow us to install both.

JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education
    Should our fund-drive exceed our expectations and reach a second tier goal of $10,000, New York Restoration Project will donate a mature flowering tree and commermorative plaque to our Day of Service, which will be conducted as explained above. Rather than the funding being directed to the service project, New York Restoration Project will create The J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This fund will exist in perpetuity with a biography listed on the NYRP of who J.B. Hehman was and the principles he believe in. The fund will be used to create programs aimed at minority and underserved youth in upper Manhattan. These programs will supplement public school education offering education in earth sciences, bringing children of the community into the NYRP gardens and parks and teaching them about the environment, conservation, horticulture, and biology.

How Can You Help?

Volunteer
    We need volunteers for the May 13th project date. If you can commit to serve this project between the hours of 10:00AM and 12Noon on Saturday May 13th, please SHOW UP at the garden, located at 564 West 149th Street just east of Broadway. Dress in clothes ready to get dirty, enthusiastic and be assured that the eneergy and spirit of J.B. Hehman will take over from there. Our leader on the project will be NYRP's William Curtis-Bey. Ask for him when you arrive or simply ask for "Maggie".

Financial Support
    When we announced this project and began asking for pledges of financial support we were amazed to have received $995 in pledges from Wired New York members. We have had an incredible success to date, raising over $3000. Yet, we remain short of our first tier $5000 goal and down the road a piece from creating a $10,000 endowment. If we had to end the fundraising today, we could celebrate a job well done. However, we have TEN MORE DAYS to go. If you have not given and are visiting we appeal to you to join us in honoring JB's Memory by making a tax deductible donation. If you have been on the fence, now is the time to get off and make your contribution. Any amount moves us forward!

To contribute online: Go to www.nyrp.org and follow directions to "Join/Donate." The process is straight-forward. When you get to the credit card page, please remember to type in the "comments" field "RESTRICTED TO JB HEHMAN PROJECT FUND".

To contribute by check: Checks should be made payable to "New York Restoration Project." Please write "JB Hehman Fund" inthe note area. Mail or hand deliver to New York Restoration Project, 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001

To contribute via email or fax: Please contact Breanne Scanlon at BScanlon@nyrp.org or call 212-333-2552.

THIS IS THE FINAL PUSH. PLEASE TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPORT THIS EFFORT TO MAKE A PUBLIC STATEMENT TO THE HARLEM COMMUNITY, THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND OUR NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE AT WIRED NEW YORK ABOUT JB HEHMAN. WE CARE ABOUT THE SUCCESS AND MEANING OF THIS PROJECT BECAUSE HE CARED ABOUT THE SUCCESS
    AND MEANING OF NEW YORK CITY.

This has been an astounding effort by this community. At this moment, funding determines just how much we can do. This is my final personal appeal. All aboard!

Remember
    J.B. "TLoz Link5" Hehman.
    Donate now.

Banned Member

I was contacted by Tom Hehman, JB's father this afteroon. He expressed his support for this project. They are unable to attend on Saturday as Mr. Hehman would like to avoid any interaction with the press and seeks to shield his daughter from further pain from this incident.

It was an unexpected phone call and very moving. He appreciates our efforts and, in turn, I let him know we all hold him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

That ^^ is the most fantastic news, BR ... gotta admit it brought a tear to my eye -- and increases my belief that we all are doing something good and important in memorializing JB in this way.

We all want to encourage as many people as would like to come to join us ...

PLANTING DAY for JB is this Saturday, May 13 from 10 AM to 12 Noon.

Bette Midler's reknowned New York Restoration Project will supply all the necessary planting tools including gloves -- but if you have your own favorite gardening gloves feel free to bring them along.

Just be prepared to do some work -- or just come and send some good thoughts in JB's direction -- and plan to get a little dirty .

NYRP will also be supplying refreshments to keep us stong and going.

MAGGIE'S GARDEN: Web Link

564 W. 149th Street

New York, NYC, 10031
    More news throughout this coming week.

Banned Member

Exclamation Join Us. Add Your Voice To The Jb Hehman Celebration!

We have surpassed the $5000 mark!

Thank you and, please, if you have not yet contributed, there is still time.

You can find info on contributing here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...65&postcount=1

We are also looking to build up our volunteer roster. Of course, we can use assistance with the gardening, but we also hope to have a huge crowd in front of the garden to help us dcelebrate the day and commemorate our work in JB's name.

To volunteer anonymously go here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...65&postcount=1

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast