Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Restoration Project - Messages on Memorial

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare
    ...BTW....I would be nice if the "same sort" of monument is done for TLOZ and put inside Maggies garden.
    New York Restoration Project has guidelines we must respect. Our team will work toward a fitting memorial.

Default Tloz

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    New York Restoration Project has guidelines we must respect. Our team will work toward a fitting memorial.
    I do know who is setting the agenda.....but do hope you can take this idea into consideration. In looking for ideas I came across this memorial - if you and NYRproject can uses the idea, that would be great. http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=12

I have some photos of my visit there at which time I found an old news paper article on the ground: a surreal and opportune moment. (see photos)
    Last edited by infoshare; May 23rd, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

Banned Member

Default Thanks for your suggestion

I met with some other forum members last evening. We meet with NYRP on Thursday, so we'll have a better idea of options and creative license.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare
    I found an old news paper article on the ground ...
    Link to that April 11, 2006 NY Daily News Editorial by Errol Louis (archived)

Default GREAT LINK..thank LOFTER

Hey Lofter,,,,thanks for the LINK,,,,,,,luv those thingis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Br Erol Lewis (archived)
    In the wake of the recent killing of Broderick John Hehman in Harlem, white and black New Yorkers - especially students at New York University, where Hehman was a junior - ought to be protesting in the streets of Harlem to make the point that it's immoral, illegal and intolerable to allow bigots to make parts of our city off-limits to any person because of ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, I did read the DAily news piece when I found it....this was NOT in the article (or am I wrong) any way ......glad you sent it.

I must admit.....when I saw that paper/photo looking up at me.... I got a little choked up

Default JB's memorial project

J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email I received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."
    I am also a member of JB's family. I just returned to Dallas from NYC. I had been reading the posts about the memorial project and shared my support with many of the family members. I hope we can all help as much as possible. I want to personally thank you for your sensitivity to JB's father and sister. I too will help honor JB and celebrate his life with a contribution.
    Libby

Thank you, Libby -- that is terrific to hear.

And for everyone, here is a recent report (March 2006) from NYU regarding the beneficial financial effects of Community Gardens:

The Effect of Community Gardens on Neighboring Property Values

Gotham Gazette
    04/20/06

http://www.gothamgazette.com/thisweek/reports.php

A study released by New York University shows that the opening of a community garden has a statistically significant positive impact on residential properties within 1000 feet of the garden, and that the impact increases over time.

Banned Member

Thumbs up Welcome NYU

I didn't want to interrupt our primary info page in the "JB Memorial moving Forward" thread, so I am posting this info here.

JB's classmates, professors and friends from NYU are onboard with our project and have had a mighty good start to their own fundraising efforts. I want to welcome them to our forum and invite them to look around our threads, both those regarding JB and the other WiredNewYork forums.

Banned Member

Default Update

NY Post is currently reviewing our project. I will speak with them again shortly. Keep your fingers crossed for coverage. We want to hit that first $5,000 goal and have our eyes set on the $10,000 mark. We know we can't do this alone and we know we need the help getting our message out.

Banned Member

Default NY Post

The New York Post will be doing a piece on our project on Monday. Hope for the best!

Banned Member

Thumbs up Thank you NY POST!

TREE OF LOVE FOR SLAIN NYU KID
    By LAURA ITALIANO

May 2, 2006 -- NYU student John Broderick Hehman loved community gardens, and adored Harlem, the neighborhood where he was viciously murdered in a botched mugging last month.

That's why on Saturday, May 13, Hehman's fellow students and numerous online friends will soothe their feelings of loss and outrage by gardening together in Harlem in his memory.

Among other activities, the group will plant a flowering tree commemorating the 20-year-old urban studies major at Maggie's Garden, a community garden on West 149th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.

Organizers also are hoping to endow a perpetual fund in Hehman's name that would pay for programs to teach the kids of upper Manhattan and the South Bronx about gardening and earth sciences.

Police say Hehman died when four teens, none older than 15, chased him into traffic and he was struck by a car on 125th Street as they tried to steal his cellphone. Hehman's final act before dying was to give a dollar to a beggar in a wheelchair.

Donations can be made by visiting the Web site of Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project - which is supporting the effort - at www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate. [Posters Note: Please be sure to note "JB Hehman Fund" in the comments field on the credit cad page]

Information on the day of gardening is available by contacting HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com.

"We would like to leave a plaque in the community in his name, not as a morbid reminder of his tragic death, but rather as a lasting reminder of his wonderful New York spirit and advocacy," said one project organizer, Robert Cammiso.

The endowment fund and day of gardening were the brainchild of members of WiredNewYork.com, an online forum where Hehman, who used the username "TLOZ Link5, was a prolific poster.

His last message was posted two hours before his death. Four boys, all under the age of 16, have been charged in Family Court with chasing him into the path of an oncoming car on 125th Street while trying to rob him of his cell phone.

laura.italiano@nypost.com

Thumbs up

TREE OF LOVE FOR SLAIN NYU KID
    By LAURA ITALIANO

May 2, 2006 -- NYU student John Broderick Hehman loved community gardens, and adored Harlem, the neighborhood where he was viciously murdered in a botched mugging last month.

That's why on Saturday, May 13, Hehman's fellow students and numerous online friends will soothe their feelings of loss and outrage by gardening together in Harlem in his memory.

Among other activities, the group will plant a flowering tree commemorating the 20-year-old urban studies major at Maggie's Garden, a community garden on West 149th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.

Organizers also are hoping to endow a perpetual fund in Hehman's name that would pay for programs to teach the kids of upper Manhattan and the South Bronx about gardening and earth sciences.

Police say Hehman died when four teens, none older than 15, chased him into traffic and he was struck by a car on 125th Street as they tried to steal his cellphone. Hehman's final act before dying was to give a dollar to a beggar in a wheelchair.

Donations can be made by visiting the Web site of Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project - which is supporting the effort - at www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate. [Posters Note: Please be sure to note "JB Hehman Fund" in the comments field on the credit cad page]

Information on the day of gardening is available by contacting HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com.

"We would like to leave a plaque in the community in his name, not as a morbid reminder of his tragic death, but rather as a lasting reminder of his wonderful New York spirit and advocacy," said one project organizer, Robert Cammiso.

The endowment fund and day of gardening were the brainchild of members of WiredNewYork.com, an online forum where Hehman, who used the username "TLOZ Link5, was a prolific poster.

His last message was posted two hours before his death. Four boys, all under the age of 16, have been charged in Family Court with chasing him into the path of an oncoming car on 125th Street while trying to rob him of his cell phone.

laura.italiano@nypost.com
    Well done nypost and brooklynrider

Thumbs up

Wow great article! Well written and no mistakes!

Yeah! Thanks Robert and the NYPOST for this article!

Banned Member

Default Final - Please Assist Us!!

I have been Googling and searching for blogs and forums carrying JB's story and posting Edward's email (below). If anyone has time, please find places to post the info as well. We need volunteers and we need money. This is where the WiredNewYork community members need to reach into their personal networks and get the word out. Preface it with a personal note. $10 from 1000 people - that is all we need!

POST THIS:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a prolific and articulate member of our Wired New York Community (posting as “TLOZ Link5”) and a Junior at NYU, died from injuries he received three days earlier when he was assaulted while walking on East 125th Street in Harlem. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8889

The forum community has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with Bette Midler’s non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action:

1) On May 13th, volunteers will converge at Maggie’s Garden (located at 149th Street and Broadway in Harlem), an NYRP community garden in Manhattan for a community service project to be performed in J.B. Hehman’s memory. Volunteers are needed. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8967

2) Our members have also embarked on a fund drive to raise $10,000 to create the J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This endowment will fund earth science programs in community parks and gardens for under-served and minority children in Upper Manhattan.

No contribution is too small and all are greatly appreciated. For further information on these efforts and how you can help or donate please visit:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/memorial/ or
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?p=95940

As JB Hehman posted in our forum: "If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Help us remember and celebrate J.B. Hehman’s contributions to our community!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12