Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press

Good job, Rob.

2 hours before he was attacked, not before he died.

Banned Member

Default Another Release This Morning

Thanks Ninjah. I corrected that error and tightened up the release to rid it of repetitiveness and superfluous info.

Another release went out to another 15 new contacts provided by another team member last evening.

I continue to encourage our members to write letters to the editor of as many NY papers and community papers as possible. Flood the NYC news outlets with news of this project and request coverage for some "good news" in the face of a tragedy.

BR

Banned Member

Default Ny Post

I came home and Laura Italiano of the NY Post is very interested in doing a story on this project for Monday's edition!!!!

It is a rollercoaster ride - but it's going to happen.

I have to send her stuff tomorrow and talk to her tomorrow night!

Please - and I really mean this -pray, chant, meditate or whatever it is you do to affect things in your life for this to happen. I'm watching the sand in the hourglass fall. This could be great if we can get them to do a big story. She seems up for it. I just need to stay focused, on point and relentlessly drive home how important a (BIG) article in the Post will be.

Sending good vibes your way Rob - your efforts are very much appreciated.

BR -- Sending lots of +++++ energy your way.

Keep JB's spirit foremost in your thoughts:

Banned Member

I concluded my interviw with Laura Italiano, who read eveything I sent her (she says). I am VERY hopeful abou this, but need to not get overly excited. She kept referring to it as a "garden project" and I kept having to bring her back to it is a COMMUNITY PROJECT. On the one hand, she was very nice. On the other, it was very much what I'd expect from the "NY Post." We need to hope for this and the Village Voice. I lied to her about how we had raised to date, but not so much that we won't reach that number. She was into the numbers of volunteers and all that and I had to keep telling her that "funding determines scope." She was going to call Susan Madden to arrange to take photos, so there are inklings of promise.

Oh well. we go into the weekend with a big question mark over us.

Banned Member

Default Quick Work!

The NY Post is doing a story for Monday's edition. Let's hope it is a slow news day and we get lots of ink.

Banned Member

Angry

I've checked NY Post online and see nothing on the project. Obviously, I'm a bit upset, but need to regain my cool before calling the reporter to find out what has happened to the story. Did anyone see the print edition? Is there anything in there?

Banned Member

Default NYPOST Article

I'm excited by this article, but fear the donation info is incomplete. I'm just going to enjoy that we got more press. Please email Laura Italino at laura.italiano@nypost.com
    and thank her and also thank Nancy Dillon of the NY Daily News at NDillon@NYDailyNews.com for her article.

TREE OF LOVE FOR SLAIN NYU KID
    By LAURA ITALIANO

May 2, 2006 -- NYU student John Broderick Hehman loved community gardens, and adored Harlem, the neighborhood where he was viciously murdered in a botched mugging last month.

That's why on Saturday, May 13, Hehman's fellow students and numerous online friends will soothe their feelings of loss and outrage by gardening together in Harlem in his memory.

Among other activities, the group will plant a flowering tree commemorating the 20-year-old urban studies major at Maggie's Garden, a community garden on West 149th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.

Organizers also are hoping to endow a perpetual fund in Hehman's name that would pay for programs to teach the kids of upper Manhattan and the South Bronx about gardening and earth sciences.

Police say Hehman died when four teens, none older than 15, chased him into traffic and he was struck by a car on 125th Street as they tried to steal his cellphone. Hehman's final act before dying was to give a dollar to a beggar in a wheelchair.

Donations can be made by visiting the Web site of Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project - which is supporting the effort - at www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate.

Information on the day of gardening is available by contacting HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com.

"We would like to leave a plaque in the community in his name, not as a morbid reminder of his tragic death, but rather as a lasting reminder of his wonderful New York spirit and advocacy," said one project organizer.

The endowment fund and day of gardening were the brainchild of members of WiredNewYork.com, an online forum where Hehman, who used the username "TLOZ Link5, was a prolific poster.

His last message was posted two hours before his death. Four boys, all under the age of 16, have been charged in Family Court with chasing him into the path of an oncoming car on 125th Street while trying to rob him of his cell phone.

laura.italiano@nypost.com
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Oh, bravo, Rob!

This is wonderful. Don't worry, it'll be fine. You're an inspiration to us all.

Chin up, mate!

Default Newspaper article

Great story in the NY Post. I'm so glad you arranged for all the publicity. Great work Rob...Brooklyn Rider! I am going to email the story to JB's family in Kentucky.

Libby

Default Yay!

Great work, Rob! This is exactly what's needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12