Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quotes from TLOZ Link5 posts

Banned Member

Default TLOZ Post Reviewers

Okay, I need to step back a moment on this.

Greenie, ManhattanKnight, Schadenfrau and Merry are the current volunteers on this specific task. As Schedenfrau is already multi-tasking on a couple of fronts and ManhattanKnight has identified posts and has the most questions, I am respectivefully nominating ManhattanKnight to use his experience in reviewing posts up to this point to direct this project activity. Please confirm to this group if it is acceptable to you.

You will not have to read all posts, but you can be responsible for ensuring that volunteers understand the process you are using. Please use the same subject I used above for your posts - which all TLOZ Post Review Volunteers shoud consistently read - and devise a system, logical to you by which our volunteers should operate. You will be the definitive person for answers on this part of the project and have the power of "yes" and "no" in decision making as relates to assignments. Edward and our moderators can assist you in deciphering the order and layout of the TLOZ Post Thread.

Default TLOZ Post Reviewers -- Assignments

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I am respectivefully nominating ManhattanKnight to use his experience in reviewing posts up to this point to direct this project activity. Please confirm to this group if it is acceptable to you.

You will not have to read all posts, but you can be responsible for ensuring that volunteers understand the process you are using. Please use the same subject I used above for your posts - which all TLOZ Post Review Volunteers shoud consistently read - and devise a system, logical to you by which our volunteers should operate. You will be the definitive person for answers on this part of the project and have the power of "yes" and "no" in decision making as relates to assignments. Edward and our moderators can assist you in deciphering the order and layout of the TLOZ Post Thread.
    Here's what I've come up with based upon what I can find about current assignments:

TLOZ NUMBERED Posts/Volunteer Reviewer

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1501-2000 -- Merry
    3000-3308 -- Greenie

Post #1 is TLOZ's most recent post; #3308 is his earliest. Please post any comments or corrections in this thread, using the same heading. I shall post updated/corrected assignment information as it becomes available.

Any additional volunteers for this subproject should PM me.

I suggest that the reviewers select the language from each post that you would like to have considered and provide a link to the actual post, like this:

I dunno, have you seen pictures of Mamie Eisenhower? Probably a nice broad, but yikes!

-- http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...6749#post86749

There is a small discrepancy between the total number of posts made by TLOZ that the search function brings up (3308) and the total that appears beneath his name at the top of each of his posts (3320).
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; April 14th, 2006 at 10:13 PM.

I've been searching his posts using certain words, looking for certain topical posts.

These are some that I just like for whatever reason, I guess I'm looking for a specific tone for the wall mural (separate project from park/plaque), anyway:

This is how it began....
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...rime#post11866

....droppin stats
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...85&postcount=6

Great sarcasm....
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=16

....great sensitivity
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=53

So friendly and optimistic....
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...47&postcount=3

Good luck everyone.

Banned Member

Default Great work!

Wow - you guys work quick! Thank you ManhattanKnight - excellent work. This has TLOZ energy all over it. Beautiful!

Hello everyone.

I can now carry on from where I left off, and I'm aiming for 1751 to 2000 to begin with.

I was using the search result numbers in the top right-hand corner "Showing results nn to nn of 3308" for post numbers. Is that what you're all doing?

I had some trouble viewing the posts too, but it appears to be intermittent.

I'll happily take direction from ManhattanKnight. All for one, and one for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    Hello everyone.

I can now carry on from where I left off, and I'm aiming for 1751 to 2000 to begin with.

I was using the search result numbers in the top right-hand corner "Showing results nn to nn of 3308" for post numbers. Is that what you're all doing?

I'll happily take direction from ManhattanKnight. All for one, and one for all.
    You've got it right, Merry. Thanks for your renewed and increased contribution to our common effort. I have revised my description of your "assignment" in my first post.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Thank you ManhattanKnight - excellent work.
    Thanky, Rob. Now, go enjoy your weekend in the nation's humid armpit!

Ok I want to help looking at posts but I am now more confuse to where I should start. So if you give some numbers that makes sence I will be happy to look. That is, if you have any numbers that I can look at.

Okay ManhattanKnight, I see what you're saying.

We're going to call TLOZ's final post on WNY Post #1. Likewise, the very first post he made back in 2002 will be called Post #3308.

Let's forget about chronology and stick with calling posts by this number system, so our heads don't explode.

Side note: Just started reading TLOZ's first posts on WNY. I'm finding it interesting that he was only 17 years old at that time. Very mature and thoughtful young man he was!
    Last edited by Citytect; April 15th, 2006 at 12:47 AM.

Not to jump the gun, but of the contenders posted so far, I would vote for the following:

"New York ... embodies the urban success story in this country, as Americans began to believe in many of their cities once more."

Hello everyone.

Well, Iíve had a go. Thanks, Jasonik, for taking the lead and providing a good format. If accepted, I envisioned these on the Mural.

POSTS 1501 TO 2000:

Justice and common sense:

New York State Death Penalty Suspended
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...0455#post30455

My opinions on the death penalty are often mixed. The legal killing of a human being, to me, sounds cruel, but the death penalty is seldom enforced in New York State. Murders have actually gone down for years as a result, while in states like Texas and Louisiana that "liberally" enforce the death penalty the murder rates are among the nation's highest.

However, the death penalty has been successfully used in this state as a bargaining tool to make accused criminals plead guilty and/or gather information on other cases that has resulted in the capture of other criminals or solving other crimes.

In my opinion, a hefty prison sentence with no possibility of parole is worse, and at the same time more humane, than a death sentence. Plenty of criminals see the death penalty as a way out, to end the insufferable monotony of prison. A prison sentence leaves the convict with the fact that (s)he is never getting out, save for ó in the best of possibilities in this scenario ó suicide, which is cowardly. That, to me, is more just and more satisfactory than a death sentence.

Republicans to Hold 2004 Convention in NYC
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...7073#post27073

I can't help but agree with you, Midnightrambler. I'll sacrifice the pristine state of the Great Lawn for any damage suffered from a large, albeit relatively large, rally, any day of the week.

The suggested alternate sites are not nearly as well-known to most Americans as Central Park, and this is supposed to be the most democratic city in America. Has free speech truly been surpassed in importance by aesthetics?

Central Park is our town square, and the least that City officials can do is let it be used as such.

Bloomberg vs. Board of Ed
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4917#post24917

Bloomberg and Klein had the right idea. Failing students are held back all the time in many public school systems outside of New York; the old system was not working so their opponents had no basis for continuing it. It's about time for a bit of tough love.

New Central Park Northwest High-Rise
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2205#post32205

I'm hoping for an impressive design, as well as that people in the neighborhood will get priority.

I'm all for revitalization, but I still hope that Harlem can be integrated while maintaining its history as a Black neighborhood; it would be a shame if families who have lived there for generations were to be priced out. It would be nice, however, if the boundaries between racially divided neighborhoods citywide could be a bit more blurred, in some cases penetrated in both directions.

Gay Marriage
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4339#post24339

Yeesh, and now on the AOL boards right-wingers are complimenting the City for "turning away the gays." Cripes...Bloomberg upholds the law to avoid controversy and suddenly we go from being an American Teheran to Houston on the Hudson.

Observations:

Black People Not Welcome at Eden Bar & Restaurant
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5955#post25955

New York is by no means Detroit, Chicago or Boston. Many old racial housing patterns, unfortunately, still exist (the stark divide along 96th Street between Yorkville and Spanish Harlem is still there: luxury apartments on the south side, housing projects on the north), but de facto segregation is much less frequent now than in more recent years and race relations haven't been better in recent history.

Brooklyn Questions
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2200#post32200

Brooklyn will always be Brooklyn. To present an urban-forest metaphor, Brooklyn's Downtown plan will stand to give it a small grove of skyscrapers compared to Manhattan's dense thicket. Every great city should have its own bohemian enclave, as well as its own sports team. Gentrification happens, albeit often at the expense of the neighborhood's original denizens. BAM caters to a different audience and has a different vibe than Lincoln Center, and the Brooklyn Museum of Art is not as highbrow as the Met. And Brooklynites will always be Brooklynites. This question is similar to asking if Jersey City is becoming more like Manhattan: we're copied often but never bettered.

Sarcasm again:

Javits Center Expansion (& Cancelled Jets Stadium)
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5499#post25499

Add some litter, a homeless man or two, and a bit of dog doo, and those renderings would look just like New York. :mrgreen:

Very exciting.

This oneís probably a bit insular/esoteric, but...

Which forum member do you think youíre most alike?
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...9470#post29470

Lessee...

I believe I share billyblancoNYC, NYCManiac, Stern and krulltime's unabashed zeal and love for everything New York, ZippytheChimp and Edward's combination of levelheadedness with occasional exuberance, Gulcrapek's fondness for the outer boroughs and kitties, londonlawyer's online "Cross me and you'll regret it" attitude, Schadenfrau's offline "Cross me and you'll regret it" attitude, BPC's occasional cautious optimism and reservedness, Christian Weiland's love for the printed word (especially regarding city life), Agglomeration and finddave's frustration with often-irrational NIMBYs, BrooklynRider, NYGuy, Ninjahedge, and Jasonik's occasional highbrow input, and alex ballard and ILUVNYC's high hopes for the future.

With a few exceptions (mostly spammers) I anticipate and enjoy informed posts, educated questions and quality input from everyone here, whether it's NYatKNIGHT, Zoe, dbhstockton, YesISaidIWillYesIWill, RandySavage or anyone else, be they from the City or elsewhere.

Oh, godÖ

Alone at Night
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4603#post24603

Most of New York is very safe to walk around at night, but you should always be wary of your surroundings because even the nicest of neighborhoods have some crime. I've never been mugged, even in notorios neighborhoods like Harlem, but always be on your guard.

Here are a few tips:

Walk assertively, confidently, briskly and close to the curb, like a native New Yorker. Like in any city, pickpockets and the like prey on anyone who looks like a tourist; easy marks. If you must look around or above you to take in the sights, try and be nonchalant about it.

Always have a MetroCard, enough money for cab fare, and loose change to use a payphone if you don't have a cell phone on you. This isn't necessarily due to staying safe, but if you're stuck in TriBeCa when your hotel is on 57th Street you'll want to be able to get back without having to walk.

At night, walk on the avenues or major streets (examples would by 59th, 57th, 42nd, and 14th) where there are more people and lights; random crime more often occurs on sidestreets that don't have as many nightspots or streetlights. If you think you're being followed, several options are available to you: pretend to call someone up on your cell phone (if you have it) and have a pretend conversation that would make passersby believe you're just about to meet someone. You could also duck into a restaurant, shop, hotel, "doorman" apartment building, or other place along these lines and wait until the person you suspect passes. If they wait outside or go inside with you, ask to speak to a hostess or manager and have them call the police (be sure to do this in a nondescript way if you're followed in). Often this will turn out to be a false alarm, but safety should come first. If the option of going into a place of business is not available, draw attention to yourself while you still have the option of doing soógoing into a psychotic/schizophrenic fit has actually worked for a lot of my friends when they're in a sticky situation.

Even when you have the light or there don't seem to be any cars around, look in the direction traffic is coming from, (or both if it's a two-way street) as well as where it's turning onto. For example, if you're on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Broadway and crossing to the southeast corner when you have the light, make sure that there is no crosstown traffic turning from Ninth onto Broadway. And always give taxi drivers the right of way.

The subways are safe, but stay away from the edge of the platform if you're worried about being shoved in (probably won't happen, of course, but be on the safe side if you have doubts). Late at night, ride in the more-occupied cars, namely the middle one where the conductor is or the front car where the driver is.

The parks are also safe, even at night, but it's not a good idea to go in them after dark. Joggers and people walking on their way home will do this with no problem, but there's always a chance of being mugged (though that chance is increasingly slimmer, thank God); or if you get into some other kind of trouble like get lost or hurt yourself, there probably won't be any people around to help you.

It's generally advised to visitors lodging in hotels, no matter the destination, to flip their deadbolts in addition to the automatic locks on their doors. I'd do this here, as well.

Use your common sense, above all things.

Have fun!

END OF POSTS 1501 TO 2000

Since youíre all in la-la land again, Iíll carry on with posts 1000 to 1500 today, and tomorrow as well if need be. I imagine youíve all got things to do during the Easter break but Iím just taking it easy and, anyway, I have all of next week off from work as well, so Iím happy to keep doing this.
    Last edited by Merry; April 18th, 2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Revised format

From TLOZ Posts #3000-3308:

TLOZ on His Family History:
    "Third- or fourth-generation American mutt. *My dad's side is mostly German, with a hint of Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English from my paternal grandmother. *My mom's side is entirely Irish. *However, my mom's side of the family is what's considered "black" Irish, or descendants of Irish women who married Spanish sailors who washed up in Ireland after Britain defeated the Armada in 1588; as such, none of us have red hair or a large amount of freckles. *Who knows, if I trace my roots far back enough, I might find some Arab or Berber blood in me from ancestors who were alive during the Moorish occupation and the Reconquista.

My mom's a native New Yorker but was raised on Long Island. *My dad is from Newport, Kentucky, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. *He moved to New York in 1975 to take a job at EFHutton, where he met my mom. *My sister was born in '81, and I was born in '85. *We're all Catholic, although personally I don't necessarily practice the religion."
    - Nationalities
    Humor:
    "The Ambercrombie & Fitch High School of Science?
    Oh, God help us all..."
    - Branding in New York Is Just the Beginning

"Oh, how sweet. It's circumcised."
    - Torre Agbar - Barcelona

"Considering that one of my classmates has a personality shockingly similar to yours, I for one will just call you our little ray of sunshine, which is his nickname also
    Now if only there was a Daria avatar :biggrin:"
    - responding to a bit of negativity in Jamaica, QUEENS redevelopment

"It's certainly Hong Kong's greatest "erection" yet."
    - The Goldman Sachs of the Pacific
    Crime:
    "Is there any site or something where they tally New York's current crime statistics (i.e.: the number of murders, rapes, etc. to date this year)? *I'm just kind of concerned with crime in the city; dunno why."
    - Small-Time Crooks

"I've been to La Guaira, a port town north of Caracas. *Pretty seedy.
    Five murders a day? *Yeesh, and idiots in this country say New York is crime-ridden. *We ought to send them all to Caracas and see how they appreciate us then."
    - Caracas, Venezuela
    NIMBY stategy:
    "...But in the case that there is no [good] history, you just make it up."
    - Con Ed site on the East River
    A little venom:
    Quote from voiceofreason: "You are all standard, pseudo-intellectual, arrogant "New Yorkers"

TLOZ Link5: "And you, sir, are a standard, ignorant, anti-New York-biased out of towner who draws all of your knowledge about the city from the two whole seconds you've spent there. *Wow, you are the voice of reason."
    - Gaudi tower at WTC?

The rest of these I'm just going to give the link to them. These posts all demonstrate TLOZ's extensive knowledge of a variety of issues, stats, and events...

Default Updated TLOZ Posts Review Assignments

TLOZ NUMBERED Posts/Volunteer Reviewer

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1001-1500 -- Krulltime
    1501-2000 -- Merry
    3000-3308 -- Greenie

Krulltime: Based upon your request to join in this project, I have provisionally added you to the list. Please PM me if there's a problem.

Posts 2001-2999 are still available for review -- any volunteers?

To resolve any lingering confusion about the numbering system, please remember that (since posts don't actually have numbers), the numbers shown here refer to the numbers that are assigned by the forum search tool, for example:

Last edited by ManhattanKnight; April 15th, 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Banned Member

Default Bravo!

You guys and gals are amazing! I hope every component of this project goes as well! Thank you again ManhattanKnight!

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight
    Posts 2001-2999 are still available for review -- any volunteers?
    Ok, I can read some more. I'll take 2700-2999.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast