Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quotes from TLOZ Link5 posts

Hello, everyone.

I’ve just noticed in ManhattanKnight’s latest update that Krulltime is doing 1001 to 1500. I didn’t see this until after I’d started. I’ve stopped now, but I thought I’d post the ones I’d chosen already (I hope you don’t mind, Krull).

I guess the more reviewers there are, the better the diversity in choices. I’m happy to do some more, but I’ll wait for further instructions to avoid any conflict and/or overdoing it.

POSTS 1001 to 1151:

Life in NYC:

”I was Walking in NYC and......."
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...1865#post41865

It's not so much the blocking the sidewalk that annoys me, but when really unaware people walk really d*mn slowly on crowded streets. It just reminds me of a Dilbert comic strip when he's trying to get the attention of these two "oblivious slow-walking women" who are blocking the hallway

"Time stands still as I prepare to take my next step."

NY attitudes
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5358#post45358

Cold? Unfeeling? Certainly not! Just because we live in apartments and brownstones as opposed to subdivisions or rural towns doesn't mean that we have no sense of community. I'm friendly with the people who live in my building, I know the owners of the restaurants and shops of the area. I live in as much of a neighborhood as does anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be hit over the head with a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Softcover, of course

Making friends in NY
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...6047#post46047

Today was the second time in eight days that I chatted it up with a random stranger on public transit. I was on the B train and a woman sat next to me when she got on at 42nd Street-Bryant Park. She works for Verizon and we talked a little bit about the sale of the 6th Avenue building, and how much she hoped that she wasn't transferred to Basking Ridge. She lives far uptown, maybe Harlem, Washington Heights or Inwood, so commuting to New Jersey would take her two and a half hours one-way. So we talked about that, her night classes in accounting at CCNY, and NYU — turns out she took some classes there in the early '80s. In my experience, New Yorkers are definitely nice people after being slightly gruff in the first minute or so of talking.

On NYC architecture:

Marriott Residence Inn - Bryant Park Tower
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...3816#post43816

Ugh! Blech! Puke! Blach! ::suddenly sotto vocce:: No.

Demolished/Destroyed
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...6440#post46440

Penn Station is the obvious choice, which the article conceded. But other gems have been lost to "progress." There's a reason that at the same time the Great Bambino reigned from Yankee Stadium, New York was earning the nickname "The House That Ruthlessness Built."

Getting to know him:

What kind of music do you like?
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...3773#post43773

A little bit of everything. I'm a huge fan of Prince and Fleetwood Mac, but I also love U2, the Stones, assorted Motown, Alicia Keys, Led Zeppelin...the list goes on and on. Lately I've gotten into Jimi Hendrix and other bands and performers from the '60s. I like The Darkness, but I think at this point that they're doomed to be a one-hit wonder — nay, a one-hit spectacular, considering that their album went, what, four times platinum?

The philosopher:

You know…
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...3482#post43482

You know you live in the year 2005 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.
    2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.
    3. You have a list of 16 phone numbers to reach your family of four.
    4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.
    5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.
    6. You go home after a long day at work and still answer the phone in a business manner.
    7. You make phone calls from home and dial "9" to get an outside line.
    8. You've sat at the same desk for four years and worked for three different companies.
    10. You learn about your redundancy on the 11 o'clock news.
    11. Your boss doesn't have the ability to do your job.
    12. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home.
    13. Every commercial on television has a website at the bottom of the screen.
    14. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.
    15. You get up in the morning and go online before getting your coffee.
    16. You start tilting your head sideways to smile.
    17. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.
    18. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.
    19. You are too busy to notice that there was no #9 on this list.
    20. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list.
    21. And now, you're laughing at yourself.

Oh, god...

(Several posts in the same thread)

Subway late night
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2653#post42653

Originally Posted by Kris
    That's enough. If you want to go on discussing soccer, create a topic in Anything Goes.

Sorry, Daddy. We won't do it again. We promise.

(joking)

Anyway, the subways are pretty safe on weekends also, because so many people go out. I've been on the subways at midnight and it's like rush hour.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2852#post42852

Weekends.
    A bit of extra advice on subway safety: if you think someone's casing you, don't panic. Act natural, particularly when your stop comes up. If you think they're going to follow you, don't get off the train right away when your stop comes. Wait maybe five seconds after the doors open, then get off the train. If no one follows you, then maybe you're just being paranoid or they got the hint. If someone does follow you, then try and get help.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2855#post42855

I've never been mugged or attacked, especially not on the subway. I did come close once, but I was in Bushwick and it was 11 at night — an uncommon time to take the subway in that area. I was with a friend and though it was obvious that the three guys were considering it, they backed off.

Other than that, I've been fine.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2874#post42874

Whoops, shoulda explained. I had ridden the subway TO Bushwick, and the guys who were casing me were on the train and got off at the same stop. I was headed to a friend's party.

END OF POSTS 1001 to 1151
    Last edited by Merry; April 18th, 2006 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    NY attitudes

Cold? Unfeeling? Certainly not! Just because we live in apartments and brownstones as opposed to subdivisions or rural towns doesn't mean that we have no sense of community. I'm friendly with the people who live in my building, I know the owners of the restaurants and shops of the area. I live in as much of a neighborhood as does anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be hit over the head with a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities. Softcover, of course
    Great work, all. Of the ones cited so far, I think this one might work, perhaps with a little editing.

Default Updated TLOZ Posts Review Assignments

TLOZ NUMBERED Posts/Volunteer Reviewer

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1001-1500 -- Krulltime
    1501-2000 -- Merry
    2501-2700 -- ManhattanKnight
    2701-3308 -- Greenie

Posts 2001-2500 (from the period just before JB started at NYU) are still available for review -- any volunteers?

I am working to resolve the apparently overlapping assignments issue that Merry pointed out earlier today. More on that soon, I hope.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; April 16th, 2006 at 02:56 PM.

Banned Member

Default Status

Very impressive results. We continue to invite all members to review TLOZ quotes and add any posts you feel might have been overlooked. ManhattanKnight, Edward and I will discuss some ideas for how to set up posts for team voting and eliminations processes. We will bring our proposal to you for approval. We appreciate your continued hard work, dedication and patience.

Just wanted to give an update on the posts I'm reviewing.

I have finished reading #s 2700-2999 and have the noteworthy ones bookmarked. I'll type up a list of those quotes before tomorrow morning. I have to do some work now.

Banned Member

Thank you all. Of the few I've had a chance to read, I am concurrig with BPC so far.

I must note in this thread that we have a message out to the family via a relative that, should they wish, WNY would be very pleased to present them with a remembrance CD of TLOZ quotes. Please, as you post your selected quotes, try to categorize them as Merry has done, so we don't have to back track.

Mucho gracias

Default Reviewing Posts

In response to ManhattanKnight's inquiry, I would be happy to review posts 2001-2500 (if this is still needed).

~ Allison

TLOZ Link5 Posts # 2701-2999:

On what makes NYC Great:
    "My faves:
    Chinatown: *A walk along Canal Street by day will blow their minds with the bustling crush of people. *Little Italy is a few blocks away, and the winding streets yield new surprises at every turn...
    Times Square: *Natch. *New York's laboratory for unprecedented urban revitalization...
    Grand Central Terminal: *The jewel in the city's diadem; New York's last vestige of the romantic age of rail travel..."
    - Top 10 things to do in New York City
    "Rockefeller Plaza is still tops among the greatest examples of modern urban planning. *A picturesque centerpiece to the world's first large-scale office complex."
    - The Best Plazas

"Downtown had, and maybe still has, the world's most romantic skyline... *I wish that the Singer Building were still around..."
    - Downtown Skyline

"It had class, substance, and in its time was the most famous skyscraper on earth. *It was one of the first buildings to implement corner diagonal cross-bracing, a support against wind pressure commonly used in later steel buildings. *And its unique slenderness, culminating in a slightly bulging crown, was quite reminiscent of a sewing needle, which was a fitting corporate gesture considering that the Singer company makes sewing machines. *In my opinion, its loss is no less than a travesty and an indictment of the city."
    - On Singer Building, Downtown Skyline
    He Loved some Bubble Tea:
    "Has anyone here been to Silk Road MoCha on 30 Mott Street, where the Fung Kong Bakery used to be? *It just opened three months ago, and I've been there twice. *They serve the best bubble tea I've ever tasted, plus there's a small Krispy Kreme, dioramas chronicling the history of Chinatown, an assortment of ethnic Chinese snack foods, and a sidewalk Internet café that charges about $2 for 30 minutes online. *Quite possibly one of the best new franchises to open in the area for a long time."
    - Silk Road MoCha - Tea bar in Chinatown
    Dream:
    "I've had dreams where I was at Windows on the World. *Or at least I thought it was. *I keep having these dreams where I'm in a place that looks nothing like the real thing, yet somehow in my mind it registers that I'm there.

Then there are dreams where I keep getting my teeth knocked out from walking into a doorjamb or something. *Or that I'm on a class field trip to North Korea. *A whole series of dreams about my ex-girlfriend stalking me. *And then there was that crazy dream where I watched Donald Rumsfeld beat the living bejeezus out of Beshar al-Assad, the President of Syria."
    - Dreams...
    Civic Responsibility & Compassion:
    "In fact, acting on a spur of activism, I just finished E-mailing an editorial to Voice of the People:
    In regards to Monday's report on the MTA's decision to put a project extending the N Line to LaGuardia Airport on hold: Hearing of Peter Kalikow's decision to delay this necessary project for the time being did not vex me as much as reading about the selfish complaints of Astoria residents who fear so-called 'noise and a loss of business.' *Their opposition, spearheaded by Queens Community Board 1 chairman George Delis—quoted as promising to "fight this thing as long as we have to"—seems less out of concern for the well-being of the city and reeks of Not-In-My-Back-Yardism.

These self-styled community activists are less interested in new jobs and better convenience for travelers and airport workers, as well as easing congestion on the Grand Central Parkway and reversing the airport's slow decline due to its isolation from mass transit; and more concerned about the immediate setbacks as a result of the construction. *While Hong Kong, Chicago, London and Tokyo, among others, now utilize mass-transit options for airport access, New York remains one of the few major international cities that lack rail links to regional airports—and unless City Hall stops showing tolerance for community groups trying to stymie such projects, it will remain that way for the forseeable future."
    - LaGuardia Link Low Priority

"The way you put it, Agglom, they don't sound like NIMBYs. *You've quite accurately painted them as BANANAs. *I live on Second Avenue and my quality of life (or at least that of my parents, considering them I'm going to be living in an NYU dorm) will definitely deteriorate for some time during the subway construction. *But you know what? *None of us are complaining because this project is a necessity and in the end will improve the standard of living on the far East Side. *These people seem to have an adverse way of thinking, unfortunately.
    Do the Community Boards have webpages? *You ought to send that to them, or at least as an op-ed to the Daily News as a counterpoint to their ludicrous argument."
    - LaGuardia Link Low Priority

"Safety is not an issue that should be passed on, even if it's the family members trying to make an alleged ploy to stop construction. *I'd read about refuge floors--along with other new standards in skyscraper safety--in the March 2003 issue of Popular Science, and I truly hope that they become part of NYC zoning laws along with safety demands that might be of concern to the families. *That way, we can shut up both them and any other groups indoctrinated with "high-rise deathtrap" propaganda. *It's not easy to do, but sometimes you need to make concessions."
    - 9/11 Families To Sue To Stop New WTC

"...My favorite feature about the new cars, however, is that they were custom-designed to take into account the craftiness of New York graffiti artists. *All surfaces can be easily wiped clean of paint or ink, and the window glass has a special polymer that is resistant to etching acid, which is what graffitists use to scratch tags or messages on the windows. *However, now some people have taken to using knives to carve into the drywall at the narrow ends of each car; but I think even that can be remedied..."
    - New Subway Trains for NYC

"I agree. *Segregation is morally wrong on all accounts. *There's no difference between this situation and the "separate but equal" treatment that blacks endured in the South--although such dogma was practiced unofficially in the North as well."
    - Gay school - all gay NYC high school

Canada's Gay Marriage Plan
    More: Canada's Gay Marriage Plan

"...620 still isn't that many in proportion to New York's size, yet this should still be a matter of grave concern. *If that number is constant, then the murder rate would be (620/82 = ) 7.56 per 100,000 people, which is still well below the national average, and still lower than in most other American cities..."
    - Under Bloomberg, Crime Falls Again
    Humor:
    "...Oh God, I'm turning into a preservationist! *Someone detain me before I start stealing babies and eating them!"
    - Pennsylvania office tower

"Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's the ultimate paradox that you can smell horse manure right outside the Plaza Hotel?"
    - NYC - Spring 2003

" 'Freedom Tower?'
    Bleh...that's not kitsch; that's Middle America."
    - Highest Offices in NY

Default TLOZ Post Review Project UPDATE

We are nearing completion of this project. I am assembling a compilation of all the posts identified to date, the current draft of which is 15 pages long.

This is the current (revised) assignment list:

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1001-1500 -- Merry
    1501-2000 -- UNASSIGNED -- ANY VOLUNTEERS??
    2001-2500 -- Classical123
    2701-3308 -- Greenie

Please feel free to continue to place the results of your review in this thread. To facilitate preparation of the compilation, I would appreciate your also sending them to me in MS Word (or, better yet, WordPerfect, form). Thank you!
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; April 18th, 2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight
    We are nearing completion of this project. I am assembling a compilation of all the posts identified to date, the current draft of which is 15 pages long.

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1001-1500 -- Merry
    1501-2000 -- UNASSIGNED -- ANY VOLUNTEERS??
    2701-3308 -- Greenie

Please feel free to continue to place the results of your review in this thread. To facilitate preparation of the compilation, I would appreciate your also sending them to me in MS Word (or, better yet, WordPerfect, form). Thank you!
    Hi, all.

I've actually already reviewed 1501 to 2000, the results of which are in post #26.

I started reviewing 1001 to 1500 and got up to 1151, the results of which are in post #31.

I'll wait until I hear back from you, ManhattanKnight, before going any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    Hi, all.

I've actually already reviewed 1501 to 2000, the results of which are in post #26.

I started reviewing 1001 to 1500 and got up to 1151, the results of which are in post #31.

I'll wait until I hear back from you, ManhattanKnight, before going any further.
    Correct you are, Merry. My apologies. I've re-revised the assignment list to reflect your comments and contributions:

1-500 -- ManhattanKnight
    501-1000 -- Schadenfrau
    1001-1500 -- Merry
    1501-2000 -- Merry
    2701-3308 -- Greenie

While all of TLOZ's posts are eloquent and insightful, I'm not sure any of 500-1001 are appropriate for the plaque. The last post about Hurricane Katrina seems to be the most appropriate.

On losing his mother:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...9413#post69413

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4862#post64862

On historical crime in NYC:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...7508#post67508

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...7418#post67418

On the present administration:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...6505#post66505

On the origins of his handle:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5520#post65520

A day in the life of TLOZ:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...1212#post61212

On keeping his cool on WiredNY:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4209#post54209

On September 11th and the GOP:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...0587#post60587

On "an eye for an eye":
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...6415#post56415

What's a NIMBY?
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...2101#post52101

Poignant quote about Hurricane Katrina:
    "...it's good to know that in the face everything bad that's happened in the past few days, something that speaks of humanity's good side has come out of it..."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...3884#post63884

Banned Member

Thumbs up I'm Finally Getting To Breathe And Read

I am reading through the selections so far. I love this one because there is a real spirit and essence within it that captures what so many people have said about him in posts and emails to our fund Hotmail account.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Today was the second time in eight days that I chatted it up with a random stranger on public transit. I was on the B train and a woman sat next to me when she got on at 42nd Street-Bryant Park. She works for Verizon and we talked a little bit about the sale of the 6th Avenue building, and how much she hoped that she wasn't transferred to Basking Ridge. She lives far uptown, maybe Harlem, Washington Heights or Inwood, so commuting to New Jersey would take her two and a half hours one-way. So we talked about that, her night classes in accounting at CCNY, and NYU — turns out she took some classes there in the early '80s. In my experience, New Yorkers are definitely nice people after being slightly gruff in the first minute or so of talking.
    This is a strong contender for a plaque in any Harlem garden.

I'm all for revitalization, but I still hope that Harlem can be integrated while maintaining its history as a Black neighborhood; it would be a shame if families who have lived there for generations were to be priced out. It would be nice, however, if the boundaries between racially divided neighborhoods citywide could be a bit more blurred, in some cases penetrated in both directions.
    Here he is our great defender ending it all with a dash of humor.

Cold? Unfeeling? Certainly not! Just because we live in apartments and brownstones as opposed to subdivisions or rural towns doesn't mean that we have no sense of community. I'm friendly with the people who live in my building, I know the owners of the restaurants and shops of the area. I live in as much of a neighborhood as does anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be hit over the head with a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Softcover, of course.
    As I read these, I feel sad he is gone, but glad we have a piece of his spirit here.

I really like the last quote.

Default Initial Review of Posts

Hi everyone,

I finished my initial review, but I'm still going back and revisiting posts to see if I skimmed over something that might be appropriate for this project. In the meantime, here are three quotes that help capture a bit of his love of New York, his wonderful sense of humor, and the way in which he examined issues from different perspectives:

On loving New York with a passion and focusing on the good he sees in it...

"If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=13

A little friendly rivalry with NJ...

"You take our jobs. We take your sports teams :twisted: :wink: :twisted:"

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=56

Practical and philosophical reflections on why the cathedral of St. John the Divine was never finished...

"They're always revising, adding to, or otherwise revising the design. Combine that with an eternal shortage of money and you have an unfinished masterpiece. The cathedral is already the largest in the world (St. Peter's in Rome, being only a church with no resident bishop, is the largest church in the world as opposed to the largest cathedral), and many people like to think of its state of incompletion as reflecting the ongoing miracles of God."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...39&postcount=4

More are forthcoming...

~ Allison

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast