Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizational Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Are you sure? May be just mislaid. No one here is into censorship or suppressing information.
    Sorry,,,,I deleted myself: had second thoughts about being too negative!

I realize the memorial needs to be in harlem,,,,so therefore it HAS to be in a
    "not too safe" nabe....so be it!

Thanks ABLarc for looking out

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare
    I deleted myself
    That's a relief.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    Please be reassured, BrooklynRider, that I'm champing at the bit to make my donation.
    Hi Merry,

This is indeed frustrating.

I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

Banned Member

Default Project Update - Please Read

A meeting was just concluded with Schadenfrau, Lofter1, Schad's Boyfriend and myself.

This is the current status of our project:

1) J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email we received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."

2) A number of inspections have been made of Maggie's Garden by forum members. We believe we can provide service to the garden, provide enhancements and install a memorial with adequate funding. In addition, should we find limitations in Maggie's Garden, we have identified three City Park areas that might provide us with opportunities to realize our vision and we will propose them to NYRP.

3) We will be requesting a meeting with the managers of Maggie's Garden including Maggie herself to ensure we all share the same enthusiasm for what we envision.

4) Politicians have been speaking out on this tragedy. VOLUNTEER REQUEST: Can a forum member or members please research for me politicians representing the area of 125th Street and Park Ave. I need city council members, state assemblymen, state senators, as well as U.S. Senators and Congressmen from the U.S. House of Representatives. If they are going to be talking about it, we are going to ask them to put their money where theur mouth is and support us. Please identify yourself if you can help with this research project.

5) We have issued a message to the family via the individual who sent us the email in item #1. We have asked that they contact us if they would like a WiredNewYork Remembrance CD of JBs posts. If the decide they do, the TLOZ Quote project will expand considerably as we arrange TLOZ's post in a logical and accessible format for his Dad and Sister. Please consider offering your assistance on this. It is a future project not requiring action at this time, but one we will want to execute quickly, but carefully if we receive the nod.

6) NYU students are beginning to find their way to us. We have a volunteer from the campus (a classmate of JBs) ready to leaflet the campus with Memorial Project Information. In addition, a specific student association has expressed interest in making a donation as well. This very encouraging as we seek to drive funding up. We will need to get flyers printed ASAP for distribution. Can team members check out Jasonik's design and reread the text (not the quote - which will remain). I want to make sure it is appropriate and clear for students looking to donate. We must have "Please visit www.wirednewyork.com listed on there." Please let me know if you can or have done this.

7) I have message out to friends of mine in the printing business seeing if we can get in-kind donations for two vinyl project banners. If anyone one else has contacts that might be helpful, please let me know!

8) Lofter1 has collaborated with Jasonik on plans for a memorial plaque. We have a goodunderstand of noth etched granite and raised brass plaques and costs. We go into our meeting with NYRP very educated on costs and variations and will do our utmost to ensure we get a meaningful memorial plaque made and placed in the garden. We will report back on this item after the meeting.

9) Mural - Because our fundraising has been via NYRP, we need to determine if a mural would be conered by these funds if a NYRP garden cannot be found as a site. We must be prepared to undertake this ourselves. It would be helpful if resourceful forum members can step up and volunteer to contact paint suppliers (KMART? Target? Janovic? Lowes? etc) to see if we can get paint and painting supplies donated in JB's name. Also, I think it must be noted that, no matter how beautiful and perfectly executed this mural is, it will sooner or later become a target for graffiti artists and taggers. Does this change our stated desire to pursue this facet of the memorial? I'd like opinions and comments please.

10) It seems the arraignment of the alleged perpetrators of this crime will be on the day we have scheduled for our project. It could offer us some excellent media coverage as the news outlets usually like to balance good and unpleasant news. We are exploring the impact and how to leverage to get coverage.

11) I need to put the possibility out there that, although our beautification and planting project will be in May - planting season, we might have to push backon a plaque dedication date to accomodate the plaque makers. We discussed doing this on JBs birthday in November - but have made no firm plans. NYRP might have stronger connections to meet a May 13th event date.

We're doing a great job as we close out the first seven days since we announced the NYRP collaboration. Please continue to check this thread, add your voice and comments, provide advice and volunteer.

Schad / Lofter1 if I overlooked anything or you wish to add from our meeting, please do.

Thank you all for your sustained interest and involvement.

Rob
    (BrooklynRider)
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 17th, 2006 at 11:33 PM.

NY1 reports that the four suspects were charged today. Next court date is April 27.

Story HERE

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    VOLUNTEER REQUEST: Can a forum member or members please research for me politicians representing the area of 125th Street and Park Ave. I need city council members, state assemblymen, state senators, as well as U.S. Senators and Congressmen from the U.S. House of Representatives. If they are going to be talking about it, we are going to ask them to put their money where theur mouth is and support us. Please identify yourself if you can help with this research project.
    US:
    Senators Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton
    Congressman Charles Rangel

NYS:
    Governor George Pataki
    Senator David Paterson
    Assemblyman Adam Clayton Powell, IV

NYC:
    Mayor Mike Bloomberg
    Borough President Scott Stringer
    City Council Member [either] Melissa Mark Viverito or Inez Dickens
    [it's right on the border and the City Council map sucks]

Good luck with this crew.

The NY TIMES lists the following as being with Al Sharpton / National Action Network at the Press Conference last Saturday:
    Also at the news conference were Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito, former Councilman Bill Perkins, and Charles King, a candidate for state attorney general.
    Article HERE

Banned Member

Default VOLUNTEER REQUEST- GRAPHICS (Edward Read This)

Ask and you shall receive.

I have received a generous in-kind donation from a local printer to create two (2) 2' x 3' banners for our project to hang on the garden fence, so the community is aware of our efforts on project day. One will be the moving banner created by Jasonik and included on our project flyer. I have directed that until we decide on the appropriate quote, I would like Jasonik to move forward with the quote cited by BPC in the TLOZ Quote Project thread. We want a statement from him about New York "community" to be displayed The other will be a banner with the New York Restoration Project logo and our, as yet to be designed, "WiredNewYork.com Forum Community" banner.

WE ARE SEARCHING FOR A GRAPHIC DESIGNER FOR THE "WIREDNEWYORK.COM FORUM COMMUNITY" LOGO. Jasonik has done a magnificient job, but I am hoping we might get others involved and invested in this project as well. IF YOU CAN OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Hi Merry,

This is indeed frustrating.

I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.
    Well, after several anxious days, I just didn't want to wait any longer. I have (I think/hope) now, not before time, made my donation by fax. I've asked the NYRP for confirmation but I've sent an e-mail to the HehmanMemorialFund e-mail address in anticipation.

Banned Member

Default A Quick Note

I know many of you are anxious to hear our about our meeting today with New York Restoration Project. I am going to cede the floor on reporting about the meeting to Lofter1, who was a brilliant, dilplomatic and charming counter balance to my nervous, excited and chatterbox style. We made a pretty good team it seems. Thank you to Schadenfrau for pre-planning with us, although the NYRP rescheduling made it impossible for her to attend. Anyway, we have news to report.

On another front, I had a phone conversation today with a relative of JB to discuss today's meeting and its scope and there is great enthusiasm for the goal and spirit of what we are doing. We have had and continue to have no direct communication with JBs father and sister who are grieving and remain in mourning. We have had family members visit us and it is fair to say we should expect more this weekend - possibly JBs sister. We really need to keep our hearts open to them. As bad as we can imagine this being for JBs family my impression is that it is beyond what any of us could imagine or bear.

The flyers graciously created by Jasonik and printed by Deimos have been received with great enthusiasm by NYU students and we hope they generate the funding our new goal requires. A new flyer will be created with new focus and verve, so please stay tuned.

We continue to pursue publicity for our project. The P.R. for this project will become more finessed now that we have a definitive goal and set parameters. I had an extensive interview with the Village Voice last evening that resumed earlier this evening, so we hope to see an article in next week's edition. They are asking for donation totals, so please continue to promote this endeavor to all your friends and relatives.

Generally, my personal community service activities are focused on my role as a volunteer coordinator and producer of quarterly Workshops for a downtown non-profit that provides support and services to people who have life-threatening illnesses, their caregivers and people dealing with grief and loss. As it happens, in the midst of this tragedy and our response I have also been working toward and coordinating for our first workshop of 2006 this coming weekend. It is exectly what I need to re-energize for our next big push. So, I will not be online this weekend other than to periodically check our HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com email address and respond to any inquiries there.

We should all be very proud of our efforts and our results thus far. Oh, and today I wore a suit for JB (so did Lofter1) - ladies and gentlemen of the forum, we represented WNY in style.

Please watch for Lofter1's report here and in the open Forum Issues "JB Memorial Moving Forward" thread. The next steps are going to be a real group effot.

Have a peace-filled weekend.

Thanks for the update, BR. I apologize again for not being able to make it.

Default Meeting with NYRP -- UP-DATE

Rob and I met today at NYRP offices with Susan Madden (Director of Development), Brian Sahd (VP Community Outreach) and William Curtis-Bey (Manhattan District Garden Manager) and Rob asked that I post an initial up-date while he catches up on some other business. Sorry if this goes on a bit too long but there is a lot of good news ...

The Meeting

After talking about JB and his intense passion for NYC some ideas came forward for a great way to memorialize JB. The folks at NYRP are very impressed with the money and commitment that our community has brought forth so far and they have no doubt that we will exceed the goal we previously discussed (the specifics about the money end of things I'll leave to Rob). Our fundraising gives us the opportunity to not only help to create a more beautiful spot at Maggie's Garden in memory of JB but also to help the youth of the Northern Manhattan / South Bronx in a more long-term way.

By raising our fundraising goal a notch or two the thought is to create something along the lines of the JB Hehman Memorial Endowment for Urban Environmental Education (please don't hold me to that phrase!). This type of educational outreach is something with which NYRP has had great success; please take the time to read more about their programs & efforts:

Environmental Education and Recreational Programs

Community Programs

The Endowment Fund

During our meeting it became apparent that such an Endowment Fund could be a great vehicle to fulfill some of JB's interests regarding Urban Planning and Community Enrichment. Should we meet our goal to create this Endowment NYRP would make a "gift" of plants that our volunteers will be planting on May 13, so in essence all of our fund-raising would be used to feed JB's Endowment Fund. That makes for a great package -- and a terrific "perpetual" Memorial to JB!!

This would also create the opportunity to include on the NYRP website information on JB via the JB Hehman Endowment Fund -- so rather than only a small plaque in a garden (more on that below) JB's spirit and ideas would be available to a far wider audience (and solves some of the problem about limited access to the Garden).

The Plaque

NYRP has a standard patinated plaque that they use for their gardens. We showed them our ideas for JB's plaque (based on Jasonik's original). Then we discussed the possibility of creating some thing more personal to honor JB. In the end it was agreed that the best way to go would be to include text from JB on one of the NYRP plaques. Due to the size we are limited to a small amount of text (about 30 words including JB's name & info, the text and an acknowledgement (something along the line of "Presented by the Friends & Community of www.wirednewyork.com" ).

So -- we need to come to agreement on the text and submit that to NYRP (they will take care of all details of manufacturing the plaque). They have given a "due date" for the text of May 1 if we want it to be ready for installation on the planting day May 13.

"Maggie's Garden"

This weekend kicks off Gardening Month -- plus Saturday is Earth Day. At this point we know for sure that Maggie will have the garden open on Sunday from 11 AM - 2PM and then again from 5PM - 7PM (she needs that mid-afternoon break to go home and watch the Yankees!). We should have info on the Saturday "open" times by mid-day Friday. So if you're up that way go by and take a peak -- it's a beautiful spot. And no doubt Maggie would be thrilled to say "Hi". (FYI: General NYC Community Garden policy is that a garden should be open 10 hours / week during the "season" -- and the "season is just beginning).

The Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden"

Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon is when the planting will take place. WE will need to enlist & organize VOLUNTEERS -- so clear your calendars!! The idea is to prepare some of the beds (Maggie has gotten a head start on us and started turning some of the beds -- I hear she grows some great tomatoes!) and PLANT.

William will be our leader in this effort and he's checking with Maggie to see exactly what she might want planted. Most likely we will be planting annual flowers, some vines along the back fence to go with the Wysteria & other viness that are already there -- as well as some new perennial grasses in the rear area. If all goes as planned on that day we will also plant a large flowering tree in the last remaining open space near the rear of the garden -- and this is where JB's plaque will be installed.

That's about it for now.

No doubt there are questions. Feel free to reply.

Rob will be giving more details soon.

Banned Member

Default New Goal - Expanded Scope - Inspired Vision

Following up Lofter's post above, we are pushing forward to meet the challenge from NYRP of creating the JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education.

Our goal is $10,000. We can do this. I will write a press release over the weekend and create an appeal letter for any individual's who wish to solicit family, friends and, especially, employers. I am happy to report than my employer responded by contributing double my donation. I encourage everyone to simply "ask."

$10,000 WE CAN DO THIS.

We raised $2600 in five days.

This will allow JBs spirit to touch inner-city children through education. The envoronmental education programs are particularly aimed at getting minority youth to focus, gain knowledge and interest in earth sciences. Statistically, this is an area of education not typically pursued by minorities. This endowment can create programs in JBs name with the endowment operating in perpetuity. It would also be a fund to which individuals could contribute annually to grow the fund or to contribute to in honor or memory of a loved one.

Banned Member

Default Volunteer Request / Action Alert

All Project Team Members,

While reading newspapers this weekend, both online and hard copy, please note reporters covering New York City human interest stories, reporters continuing coverage of JBs death and the prosecution of his assailants, or reporters you recognize who seem to report about what is happening "on the street."

This is going to be a full-court press for extensive coverage. I think the passion and spirit of what we are doing needs to find expression in the reports. Without out it, we are just panhandling.

Please report reporters & newspapers / news outlets.

Banned Member

Exclamation Reality Check

Hello Friends-

I sent out what passes for a press release from a passionate, but inexperienced public relations novice. I am doing all I can think of to get our message out and create a lasting endowment in JB's name. This is our community's project and we need the wider New York City real world as well as others who are fed up with senseless violence to join this cause. Many of us at WiredNewYork have already backed up our passion for remembering JB with action or funding for this project. It is a success regardless of whether we hit $10,000 or not.

With that said, working within and coordinating a virtual community is sort of like herding cats. We're dealing with intelligent beings who have diverse interests, lifestyles, priorities and direction. Yet, this would not be called the WiredNewYork "Community" if I could not stand in this virtual town square and ask for your help.

I need help.

However good or effective our press release today was regarding our expanded scope and intention to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education, it would create a sense of community urgency and interest if everyone could write their own "letter to the editor" to send to the NY Dailies as well as any local publications in your area. Newspapers respond to reader mail and story suggestions. I am on virtual bended knee asking you each to create a letter to the editor endorsing this project and its mission. Please convey the passion of our community for this project and our desire to involve other New yorkers who want to channel their reaction to this incident into something constructive.

They have heard from me - repeatedly. I think I am coming across as one extremely passionate voice in the wilderness. It is only a hunch, but I think that if they hear from us in letters, the curiousity will be aroused and this might turn into a "human interest" story in which the emotion as well as the details of the project can be equally covered. It is our passionate response that, for me, makes this project so interesting, exciting, unique, and newsworthy. And, of course, the fact that we would not recognize each other if we were all locked in the same room.

So thre it is. I need and I am asking for your help. A bunch of us are working on the project but 50 peole calling and writing to the papers has more effect than one person. Write one letter and send it to every paper you can.

We can have an absolutely lovely memorial project with the money so generously given thus far. We can create a lasting and giving memorial that will not only educate the youth of upper Manhattan, but also continuously keep J.B. Hehman's name and spirit alive for years and decades to come.

It has been an honor to work with and on behalf of this community thus far. "Fear" and "Excitement" - they feel the same in my body. Fear will paralyze, while excitement will mobilize.

Let's all get excited.

Warm regards-

BrooklynRider (Rob)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast