Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Organizational Thread

Sure thing BrooklynRider. I'll write a letter tomorrow.

Perhaps we should put together a list of the newspapers' addresses. I think if we post that information here more people will be able to contact more papers... Here are a few:

New York Times
    Letters to the Editor
    229 W. 43rd St.
    New York, NY 10036
    212-556-1831
    letters@nytimes.com

New York Daily News
    Voice of the People
    450 W. 33rd St.
    New York, NY 10001
    212-210-2100
    voicers@edit.nydailynews.com

New York Post
    To the Editor
    1211 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036
    212-930-8000
    letters@nypost.com

New York Observer
    To the Editor
    915 Broadway, 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10010
    212-755-2400
    editorial@observer.com

What are some others?

The Village Voice
    36 Cooper Square
    New York, NY 10003
    http://www.villagevoice.com/aboutus/...p?page=contact

Washington Square News
    7 E. 12th St. Suite 800
    New York, NY 10003
    http://www.nyunews.com/vnews/display.../43dc3333cce3d

Letters Editor,
    am New York,
    330 W. 34th Street,
    New York, NY 10001
    am-letters@am-ny.com
    http://www.amny.com/news/opinion/

Columbia Spectator
    2875 Broadway, 3rd Floor
    New York City, NY 10025
    spectator@columbia.edu
    http://spc.columbiaspectator.com/index.php?p=3

The Villager
    487 Greenwich St.,
    Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

news@thevillager.com

This newspaper has been covering JB's death, most recently:

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...ceblotter.html

Banned Member

Default Press Release Posted

Thanks everyone. I've included all the addresses you provided me. We have a press list with over 30 email addresses. For folks living outside of New York, I have posted our press release in the "Press" thread. If you want to to take a shot and writing a letter and including the press release to your local papers to see ifthey are intrgigued enough by what we are trying to do to run this story, no harm in trying.

Please keep posting new contacts and email addresses as you find them. We have 20 days left and, if I have to get a press release in these inboxes daily to get attention, I will.

I can't imagine us working any harder, but the important thing now is not to lose steam. This train is leaving the station in 20 days and it is our collective job to go out and get EVERYONE we know on board! (Jeez - one day someone is going to quote that last sentence to silence me in some untold thread of the future.)

Onward!

An article in the NYT:

April 18, 2006

NEW YORK

MANHATTAN: NO RELEASE FOR TEENAGERS A Family Court judge yesterday refused to release four teenagers accused of trying to rob a New York University student in Harlem and then chasing him into the path of a car, which struck and killed him. The decision by Judge Robert Stolz came after the prosecutor, Laurie T. Smith, said that one of the boys had told the police that "he doesn't do robberies for money but for entertainment." Judge Stolz said the robbery of the student, Broderick J. Hehman, appeared to be premeditated, and that returning the boys to their homes before trial would be "contrary to their best interests" and those of the community. The defendants — Denzell Fell, 13; Humberto Guzman, 13; Clarence Hassan Mayfield, 15; and Andre Johnson, 15 — were arraigned on charges of felony murder, criminally negligent homicide, manslaughter, attempted robbery and gang assault. They denied the charges. ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS (NYT)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/18/ny...=1&oref=slogin

This is what I sent to the New York Times (EDIT: It wasn't easy adhering to the 150-word restriction required by the NYT):

Re: “No Release for Teenagers” (Metro Briefing, April 18)

I would like to share how this story affected me. I live in Australia. Upon reading of “JB’s” tragic death on the WiredNewYork on-line forum, I was initially very sad. Then something inspirational happened. An undefinable but palpable emotional energy started to emanate from the safe anonymity of our cyber community. We have progressed from shock and outrage and pain to forge a connection that is leading to a rejuvenating and life-affirming outcome. JB wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

I really ache to be in New York to reinforce my remote connection with the efforts and energies of our on-line community. But I urge residents to engage and empower one another to support us in building on JB’s passion for his city and be guided by his wisdom and compassion in a tangible way for the betterment of everyone.
    Last edited by Merry; April 23rd, 2006 at 09:59 PM.

NY Metro
    44 Wall Street
    New York, NY 100005
    212-952-1500
    http://ny.metro.us/metro/yourturn

Banned Member

Default Inspiration!!!

I have been contacted by one of JB Hehman's professor's at NYU who wanted to know more about the project. She is very interested as are the students. She is just trying to wrap her mind around the scope of what we are doing and why we are doing it. She said she thinks it sounds wonderful and mentioned taking up a collection next week before this session ends.

I only had two private conversations with JB. One was after his mother died and I discussed a place I volunteer at that deals with grief and loss called Friends In Deed. The other was a conversation about the movie and play "Rent" as the premiere was coming up in December and we were both trying to get tickets. The only two conversations I had with him personally, "Rent" and "Friends In Deed."

After a long weekend of volunteer work interspersed with trying to blitz the media about our project, I checked our email today and saw no notices of contributions. I sat at my desk, said a little prayer for some sign - anything - that we are headed the right way. The phone rang ten minutes later. It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!

I am telling you that as improbable as this idea might have seen, we are going to do this. There is no doubt in my mind. This project is going to happen!
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 24th, 2006 at 05:02 PM.

It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!
    JB, we love you. I truly believe that your spirit is with us.

For me, the above is proof positive, if I ever doubted it one bit.

Banned Member

Exclamation Drum roll....

We have now raised $3,110 from 41 donors.

A big donor to push us up within reach....

Banned Member

Red face Project Update

1) I talked with the Village Voice reporter this morning and he stated that info about our project will appear in his upcoming report on East Harlem. He is reporting on the whole neighborhood, the death of JB, and will report our reaction and about the project. We will not be the focus of the article, but he did say we are in it. We talked for probably 90 minutes in the course of two calls, so I hope info on the project does not get edited down to one sentence.

2) After struggling to get emails through, I was finally able to provide Professor Haff at NYU with more detailed data today on the project, its genesis and objectives. She still appears into this and they did raise $200+ in an informal drive over 24 hours. That drive will continue and, hopefully with the added info, bring in more money.

3) We had a forum member working on a corporate donation that would have put us in reach of the $10,000. That dollar value did not materialize, despite best efforts from our supporter. However, we did manage to get a generous donation from that company anyway (but it was a fraction of what we hoped for).

It is still possible for us to hit our $10K mark. But, the $5K goal needs to be behind us first. I think I've pressed all the buttons in the forum community I can reasonably do. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.

I'm thinking that I'll post this update in the public forum and see if it garners any reaction. Hopefully those NYU students learning about this will read this and help us out. Any thoughts out there?

Banned Member

Default One more note

On the very positive side, it seems that 50% of our donors are from outside the WNY community. That's very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    It is still possible for us to hit our $10K mark. But, the $5K goal needs to be behind us first. I think I've pressed all the buttons in the forum community I can reasonably do. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.
    Good work, BR. All in all good that is good news.

One idea: Have we posted an appeal on wny specifically for $10 donation from each poster / visitor?

What do you think about a SHORT post -- possibly in a new DONATIONS thread or on the MAIN page -- asking just for that: $10 PLEASE (with links / info on how to Donate)

My sense is that right now we have too many threads, with too much info --and those who come here out of curiosity / interest about JB's Memorial get lost in all the posts / information.

For example this post on the Main JB page still lists the Family Garden along with Maggie's Garden as part of the Memorial Project:

Banned Member

I actually asked for the Family Garden to be removed. I agree we have alot of "stuff" out there. I don't know if there is a way to consolidate the threads or maybe lock them all in favor of a public thread, as you suggested, called the Memorial Project. It seems we could use another thread called May 13th JB Hehman Project Volunteers. I'm having trouble keeping track of that.

Also, to other team members has everyone seen this lovely post:

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my needs, but...

I absolutely want to get down into the city to help with planting, for up to this point I've felt rather hapless and detached from the whole tragedy up here in Boston. So, I really want to come down, BUT the earliest Amtrak train doesn't get in to Penn until 10:50, meaning it'd be all but pointless for me to come down that Saturday morning.

As a result, I'm asking all forumers for a place to stay for that Friday night. My name is Phil, I'm 23, very neat and tidy (I've lived with an utter slob before..), and unless you possess the World's Most Abrasive Personality, then we should get along perfectly, as I'm very laid back and thoughtful, and can get along with just about anybody (as Fabrizio drunkenly said, I do love all you guys, whether you know it or not). Just give me a bathroom and a floor, I'll bring a pillow and that's about as needy as I'll get.

So if you're interested and willing, send me a PM. Were it not for the time of day, I'd be there without hesistation, but circumstances have forced me otherwise.....pleeeeez help!
    Can anyone help the young man out?

Default Inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I sat at my desk, said a little prayer for some sign - anything - that we are headed the right way. The phone rang ten minutes later. It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!
    I have no doubt that JB is watching over this project with passion and gratitude. I think it is encouraging to receive this type of inspiration. I would also like to send my prayers and inspiration to all of you in NYC, especially BrooklynRider and Lofter1. I wish I could do more from Texas...

Libby

Banned Member

Question What Now?

Well, we are currently at $3,195 in donations. I do not believe that that number includes anything we might get from NYU, but I am not certain. I spoke with the NY Post, who were supposed to run a story on the project today. As many of you saw, stories on L'il Kim's leaking breast implants and the spritual prison ministry of serial killer David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam must have eaten into our allotted space. I'm told we are "scheduled for tomorrow." I'm pumped up for the May 13th event, but I think I've run with this ball as far as I can. I just haven't got another idea in my head. So, I'm opening it up to the project team. Now what?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast