Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Organizational Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    tloz was quoting Matthew Prior, right?
    Trusting any failure to add a footnote on the plaque will NOT open us up to a plagiarism fight ...

The plaque gang had seen and noted that source ...

Banned Member

My apologies - I had a deadline.

No apologies necessary -- JB posted it without attribution. We quoted his post.

And who would have guessed that Prior lingers in the NYU curriculum? The original:

Be to her virtues very kind;
    Be to her faults a little blind;
    Let all her ways be unconfin'd
    And clap your padlock - on her mind.

Last edited by ManhattanKnight; May 4th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.

Hmmm ... that bit in its entirety gives a different perspective.

I knew that the original pertained to Prior's advice on how to get along with a wife ...

If JB didn't know the full quote I've no doubt that he would be chuckling now at the "retro" flavor of it.

Banned Member

The last two sentences could well be applied to his attackers.

Banned Member

Not all the folks with access to these restricted TLOZ Likn5 Project forums have visited the project team thread, where we are recording "where" the support for this project is coming from. I hope you will do so, if you haven't already. I mention this because "Freebird" in the UK has just made a donation adding that country to Italy and Australia in supporting this effort. Talk about your "Coalition Forces."

Sorry, but I have to say,
    That is the CRAZIEST hairdo I have ever seen on ANYONE!! Absurd! Thank God there's zero chance of that EVER coming back in style.
    The top looks like ass cheeks.lol.

Robert Plant is still kicking around ...

Default Freebird

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I mention this because "Freebird" in the UK has just made a donation adding that country to Italy and Australia in supporting this effort. Talk about your "Coalition Forces."
    This is all turning out fine....your doing great with this project BRider.... it would not have turned out this way without you. Thanks

Banned Member

We are getting an influx of people posting in the remembrance thread. Edward, have you sent out an email?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    We are getting an influx of people posting in the remembrance thread. Edward, have you sent out an email?
    I received 2 of them last evening, Rob. I've forwarded a copy to you.

Banned Member

At HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com? I didn't get it. I'll send you a PM with my home email. Can you send it there as well?

Also, when we started this whole thing we had 585 active members. We've gained 52 since then. Is that a big increase or in keeping with WNY growth?

Banned Member

Default Reach Out Everywhere This Week

I got the email (I had used my hotmail account).

I have been googling and searching for blogs and forums carrying JB's story and posting Edward's email (below). If anyone has time, please find places to post the info as well. We need volunteers and we need money. This is where the group needs to reach into their networks and get the word out. Preface it with a personal note. $10 from 1000 people - that is all we need!

POST THIS:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a prolific and articulate member of our Wired New York Community (posting as “TLOZ Link5”) and a Junior at NYU, died from injuries he received three days earlier when he was assaulted while walking on East 125th Street in Harlem. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8889

The forum community has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with Bette Midler’s non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action:

1) On May 13th, volunteers will converge at Maggie’s Garden (located at 149th Street and Broadway in Harlem), an NYRP community garden in Manhattan for a community service project to be performed in J.B. Hehman’s memory. Volunteers are needed. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8967

2) Our members have also embarked on a fund drive to raise $10,000 to create the J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This endowment will fund earth science programs in community parks and gardens for under-served and minority children in Upper Manhattan.

No contribution is too small and all are greatly appreciated. For further information on these efforts and how you can help or donate please visit:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/memorial/ or
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?p=95940

As JB Hehman posted in our forum: "If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Help us remember and celebrate J.B. Hehman’s contributions to our community!

Banned Member

Default Project Update

I was contacted today by a person who spoke to me about possibly following this project as a part of a documentary. Although it was interesting and I left at "I'd like to hear more about it," I'm not entirely comfortable with the prospect. Specifically, the conversation kept being pulled toward the incident surrounding JB's death and how five families have been devastated. The feeling conveyed to me was "the film" could go a long way toward helping people understand the issues facing youth of Harlem and the continued racial divide.

I needed to reiterate that the project has no comment on circumstances of JB's death or the on-going investigation. We have one single fact - JB Hehman is dead - our project celebrates his life. Period.

I got the whole proposition that this could be huge, Sundance Film Festival and on and on. I've agreed to speak with the filmakers this week, but an executive decision is going to have to be made. My instinct tells me that this is not in line with the intent of the project and shifts the focus from JB Hehman to the project, project planners and the incident surrounding JB's death. I sensed someone very excited by what we were doing, but someone seeking to use it for their own purposes and agenda. Again, I think the answer is "no."

From a logistical point of view, it can take an event we have anxiously planned for and awaited and turns it into a logistical nightmare of filiming permissions and waivers and so on. That destroys our anonymity and could impact the spontaneity of the day. Executive decision is going to be "N-O."

On the publicity front, the reporter from Village Voice has changed the "direction" of his piece and blah, blah, blah. So, that is not happening. On the other hand, through our group there is a connection to Newsday and possbility there for publicity.

Just to be clear: we seek and sought publicity for one purpose - to help us raise the funds we need to create an endowment. There are no press releases going out prior to the event and we are not seeking to turn Saturday into a media circus. I do not believe that NYRP is seeking to turn this into a big press event either. So far, it looks as though we will have OUR day in Maggie's Garden in honor of JB as a community event - not a press event. I think that is important to state at this point - no more press releases (however long-winded) from me or this project. I will invite Nancy Dillon of the Daily News and Laura Itlaiano if the NY Post via private invitation as they did support the project early and attempted to assist us to reach our goals through their reporting. It seems appropriate.

Five more days! It seems worth reiterating that the event itself will allow all attendees to remain anonymous. There is nothing to sign. No one to check in with. All you have to do is show up at 10:00AM. Shifting to logistics in this final week, I'll share my greatest fear - which is that no one shows up. Please, if you can spare that morning, be there, bring friends, be ready to work in memory of JB. The more WNY members there, the more likely the morning will reflect the spirit of how we came together to do this.

Thanks.

BR

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast