Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Proposed - 980 Madison Avenue - by Norman Foster

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

My reaction to this is 'why bother?'

shades of the new york times building on a smaller scale. not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post

And I agree with ASchwarz: a three year approval process was unfair to Norman Foster and all parties involved in getting this project built.
    It took that long because they wanted a huge variance inside an historic district. They created the problem for themselves. There was no way a tower of that size -- no matter how good the architecture might be -- was going to get an OK. Pure hubris on their part to push it so far.

More than half of those 3 years were spent altering this current low-rise scheme.

Also, the tower didn't need a variance, the size of the tower was as-of right. It's just that the design had to be approved by the commission. There is no rule forbiding skyscrapers in historical districts.

If the wealthy neighbors didn't have so much clout, the tower probably would have been modified and approved. The nimby's were able to convince landmarks that a tall building, no matter how well designed, is inappropriate at the site, even though there is a taller tower across the avenue.

The opposition was clearly more concerned about blocked views than quality of architecture and landmarks fell for it.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; November 19th, 2009 at 01:14 AM.

Default 980 Madison Avenue

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    The opposition was clearly more concerned about blocked views than quality of architecture and landmarks fell for it.
    True enough. Also the opposition obviously has a different attitude than you or I regarding what constitutes “quality” architecture.

To my mind, there is rarely rhyme-or-reason to decisions made by Landmarks Preservation Commission: it’s all a bit like sausage – best not to ask what goes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

... the tower didn't need a variance, the size of the tower was as-of right.
    Untrue ^

To build the tower they applied for a variance for height and bulk:

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

Landmarks HEARING on 980 Madison to take place on Tuesday 10.24.06 ...

While I opposed this addition to the Madison site, it would be nice if Abby Rosen built this on the dumpy site he owns on Lex and 44th with the Sbarro and McDonalds. (See link below.)

http://www.rfrrealty.com/ny/451lexington
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 19th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.

I'm sure he bought that site with an eye to develop.

I agree, but I hope that he builds something really nice. Lex has many stunning pre-WW II skyscrapers, so it would be good if something worthy of them is built unlike the POM hotel that's rising on 48th St.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    ... the NIMBYs ...

Ah yes, those NIMBYs.....the nerve of them wanting to live next door to a more more scaled down building...

re: "Dragon's Head, the 55,000-square-foot Southampton mansion known as Elysium...."

"Newsday reports that the village's Architectural Review Board has cleared the way for current owner Calvin Klein to tear down the former DuPont estate (before it was a fantasy castle) and build an "inoffensive" smaller mansion. The home sits on 10 acres of beachfront Meadow Lane land, hence its astronomical value. Real estate megadeveloper Aby Rosen, who lives next door, told the paper a "more scaled (down) and refined property, will help our neighborhood improve aesthetically."

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/02/1...ns_dragon_.php

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122