Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Floor Plates are Showing

I admit I have a problem

Default Your Floor Plates are Showing

Question from a non-architect, non-engineer:
    Do you hate exposed floor plates mainly because of design taste, or are there quality problems too? Are buildings with exposed floor plates more leaky and drafty?

For example, a post from this forum: "Looks like we lost the great historic Studebaker building for exposed floor plates and cheap looking wavy reflective glass."

(picture from curbed.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006_01_1600broadway.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	1780  

Hard to tell from that photo. Are you saying that the horizontal floor plate visable to the street is exposed concrete?

exsposed floorplates are nearley always either coverd in metal strips or painted. so there are no problems with things like leaks etc..

It is cheaper to leave floor plates exposed. In NY there are hundreds of buildings with exposed floorplates with the raw cement exposed. I don't believe they are a problem from the point of view of leaks etc but they are bad design and bad architecture.

And often they need repair work -- just look up as you walk around the city and you'll see patched floor plates everywhere. Errrgggghhh.

I believe that most, if not all, of the exposed floor plates at 1600 Broadway are being covered with metal panels (although I'm not sure what they'll do with the exposed concrete on the balconies).

It's usually a sign of cheap construction.

So the comment was probably the same as saying "The classic brownstones of XXXYYY are being replaced by these Aluminum Sided Glass Boxes".

They are really not trying keep to the same standards of exterior design and decoration and are trying to make the cheapest and fastest $/sf building they can erect.

Distaste for exposed floorplates is on account of their aesthetics. For some of us seeing exposed floorplates is the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    It is cheaper to leave floor plates exposed. In NY there are hundreds of buildings with exposed floorplates with the raw cement exposed. I don't believe they are a problem from the point of view of leaks etc but they are bad design and bad architecture.
    Untrue, exposed floor plates do promote heat loss - we just erected a green building and were actually reprimanded by our commissioning agent for only covering the concrete floor plates with metal facade pieces - they should ideally be insulated. The problem is that they conduct heat from deep inside the unit directly to the outdoor air. Combine the exposed plates with PTAC air handling units - a poorly insulated hole in the buildling - and you have a recipe for really poor energy use.

But the reason why exposed floor plates bother me the most is that they're such a visible way to cut corners. It's like saying, yeah, we're cheap, and we don't care if it's obvious to everyone.

What´s funny is when these builders put in a few thousand dollars worth of European fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom and some thin sheets of polished marble and wood veneer in the lobby and call it a "luxury condo"....meanwhile they´ve got those hideous exposed floorplates announcing to the world how cheap the whole thing really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    What´s funny is when these builders put in a few thousand dollars worth of European fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom and some thin sheets of polished marble and wood veneer in the lobby and call it a "luxury condo"....meanwhile they´ve got those hideous exposed floorplates announcing to the world how cheap the whole thing really is.
    You have been reading my posts?

Come to Hoboken if you want to see Cheap "Luxury".

"You have been reading my posts?"

No, believe me I haven´t...I´ve never visited Hoboken and am not much interested.... but I just checked the thread after your post. Great minds DO think alike! :

"My major dissapointment in all of this is the lack of quality construction on most of these developments. They all smack of fast-track design-build projects that put in a marble countertop and jacuzzi tub to jack the price up by $50K-$100K and call it "luxury" while at the same time their generic windows and doors have their sealant start to fall out 5 years after construction."

Well, I suppose they are better than the white brick blocks with notoriously low ceilings and poorly fitted out that used to be sold as "luxury housing". Everything is relative.

Although exposed floor plates are a paticular pet peave of mine. *blech*

I was walking by Penn South Houses in Chelsea the other day; the exposed floor plates there don't bother me anywhere near to the degree that they do on the new so-called luxury buildings ...

Some sins are covered by low height and nice brick. Now imagine them 35 stories tall...and change the attractive brick color to that weird pinkish-orangy-beige ....and there you go.

Exactly ^^ The utilitarian nature of Penn South -- no frills, no BS pizazz, good solid middle class housing -- allows the Exposed FPs to make sense, at least visually.

But given the prior posters' mentions regarding the poor insulation value of EFPs it seems they are something that should NOT EVER be included in new buildings in NYC.

IMO any Tax Breaks that are offered to developers should specifically exclude EFPs as an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast