Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 188 Ludlow Street - Lower East Side - by Costas Kondylis

A lot of recent visible progress at 180 Ludlow Street

Curbed: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...d_for_real.php

I was just on Ludlow last night and it took me by surprise to see work actually being done!

Default 9 March 2013

That's awful. Never thought 188 Ludlow would be attractive but compared to that...

Default 30 March 2013

This is interesting. It's some red brick and some gridded windows. It's even got an interesting little asymmetric bit too it. Yet we're really coming down hard on this building? The only major flaw I can see is that the seams between the panels are currently treated white and should/will be painted with a brick color.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

There's just not a lot of transportation in that area to support that much population.

Eh? It's less than a quarter mile to Essex and Delancy (JMZF) and it's on top of 2nd Ave (F). That's ignoring any buses on Houston. How much more transportation does it need? It's less than 25 minutes to central park, and about 25 minutes to anywhere in midtown.

42nd Street has been built up a ton more with far less transportation options. If Silverstein can make a profit on Silver Towers, this spot should be easy.

I guess where was going is that claims of gridded windows alone being a buildings savior might be less than accurate.

Yeah, I don't really see what the complaints are.

Just to be clear, the discussion is about the brick building on the right.

No one living in 180 Ludlow Street will be using public transportation. It's just not that type of crowd. Besides, in addition to the various subway lines are the M15 SBS bus. Those will be useful for the help.

I believe this is a luxury hotel. The design looks like a slightly cheaper copy of the Bowery Hotel which I don't mind. Red brick and casement windows should be the minimum design standard for projects to offer some kind of aesthetic appeal without having to break the bank with a big design budget. The Crosby, Bowery, and Willlow Hotels pull this off nicely. Much better than turning to tacky colors, gaudy signage, and an asinine combination of different materials.

It's quite shameful that we can only hope that the luxury developments of today can look as good as the factories and warehouses of yesteryear.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Hmm I guess that area's fabulous if you're satisfied with the Sixth Avenue line -

Easy to get downtown on the J as well, but yes, its a little bit more of a haul to any other lines. It's almost half a mile to Bleeker St on the Lexington line (you could also wait for an F and transfer, I suppose).

Long-Stalled Hotel Ludlow Continues To Look Almost Done

by Hana R. Alberts

[Photo via EV Grieve.]

The long-stalled Hotel Ludlow looks to be nearing completion. Then again, we said that six months ago, when much of the scaffolding and netting had come down from the would-be 162-room destination, which has been in the works for over—brace—five years. Developer BD Hotels, of such success stories as the Maritime, Mercer, Jane, Greenwich, and Bowery hotels, is supposed to be on the case. Though it appears that founders Richard Born and Ira Drukier are grooming their daughters to take over the business, including launching a bid to erect a hotel with pod rooms on a site near Seward Park.

Up ahead in the distance, Hotel Ludlow [EVG]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...lmost_done.php

180 Ludlow Street hotel to open in June 2014

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...evelopment.php

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast