Thread: Don't mean to beat the living in LI topic to death..

Default Don't mean to beat the living in LI topic to death..

So I've been perusing this forum over the past couple of days and I found a lot of helpful information. However, there's not too much stuff around here about Long Island since, I know, this is mainly a NYC forum. I only saw a couple of threads about places to live in LI so here's my question. Since most people seem to have a consensus that Huntington is the best city to live in on LI, is there a difference between South Huntington and Huntingon (or like where Downtown Huntington is I suppose)...and which is the better area or are they both the same? I just got offered a position in Woodsbury so I'm trying to find a city closer to NYC, but Huntington seems to be the best option..also, does anyone know of any apt complexes around there that are any good? I'm trying not to spend more than around 800-900 on a studio/1BR or something...also a place near the LIRR (which I think will take me into the city)...any info would be dandy...

thanks..

The difference? Huntington Village - aka downtown Huntington was built pre-suburban era and feels that way, South Huntington was developed in the modern suburban era and feels that way. Rt 25 (jericho turnpike) is a rough dividing line - south of that is mainly (with some exceptions like the West Hills area) strip malls and newer developments.

If you're looking for rentals, I wouldn't bother looking for a complex - most of the affordable rentals are in private homes (renting a floor of someone's house - usually with seperate entrance), though there are some affordable small apartment buildings and some small 2nd floor apartments above the stores in Huntington Village.

Check Newsday's website - it usually has good listings, though I found better deals actually through a real estate agent when I found my apartment (Finest Realty - they specialize in Huntington apartments - their fee is 1 months rent). Suppose craigslist is good to, though I've never used it...

Almost anywhere in Cold Spring Harbor, West Hills, Huntington, Centerport, Greenlawn, or Huntington Station (the communities closest to Huntington Village) are within 10 minutes of a train station. I'd encourage you to drive around the area some afternoon to get a feel before getting an apartment, or barring that - zooming around it with Google Earth.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mamasaidlikewhoa
    So I've been perusing this forum over the past couple of days and I found a lot of helpful information. However, there's not too much stuff around here about Long Island since, I know, this is mainly a NYC forum. I only saw a couple of threads about places to live in LI so here's my question. Since most people seem to have a consensus that Huntington is the best city to live in on LI, is there a difference between South Huntington and Huntingon (or like where Downtown Huntington is I suppose)...and which is the better area or are they both the same? I just got offered a position in Woodsbury so I'm trying to find a city closer to NYC, but Huntington seems to be the best option..also, does anyone know of any apt complexes around there that are any good? I'm trying not to spend more than around 800-900 on a studio/1BR or something...also a place near the LIRR (which I think will take me into the city)...any info would be dandy...

thanks..
    I would also check out some places in Nassau, since it would be close to NYC and Woodbury. Check out Garden City, Oyster Bay, Rockville Center, to name a few. Close to the LIRR, about 10-15 min at most to Woodbury, with nice "downtown" areas as well, Of course, there's places like Pt. Washington and Great Neck as well. Great Neck is likely your best bet to find apartments, as they have a ton of buildings and complexes.

Good luck. I would take a drive for a day or two and get a feel and lay of the land, though.

I am a big promoter of Hicksville and Westbury (perhaps because I grew up there)

There is not much of a night life, you will have to find it but huntington is a 15 min drive, I use to go there alot. and Hempstead turnpike (East Meadow) is going to change very soon.

The big plus is the LIRR system. I use to spend alot of time in Manhattan and living in hicksville the frequency home was GREAT!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by shocka
    I am a big promoter of Hicksville and Westbury (perhaps because I grew up there)

There is not much of a night life, you will have to find it but huntington is a 15 min drive, I use to go there alot. and Hempstead turnpike (East Meadow) is going to change very soon.

The big plus is the LIRR system. I use to spend alot of time in Manhattan and living in hicksville the frequency home was GREAT!
    Why is Hempstead Tpke going to change very soon?

Forum Veteran

I've always wanted to go to Babylon, NY. Sounds more interesting than it probably is, though.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    I've always wanted to go to Babylon, NY. Sounds more interesting than it probably is, though.
    Babylon is actually fairly nice. By the water. Nice downtown area. Historic houses.

http://www.babylonvillage.com/

http://www.villageofbabylonny.gov/

http://www.townofbabylon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    Why is Hempstead Tpke going to change very soon?
    i have been seeing a change in Hempstead Turnpike over the past couple years. More of the mature bars less of the HS type clubs which it is popular for. the clubs in the area seem to promote better happy hours as well.

With the recent popularity of Mineola/Garden City/Westbury/Hicksville things will have to change.

Great Neck is...great?
    There are a lot of great apartment complexes and its about a 20 minute ride to penn station on the LIRR.
    There are a lot of great places and when your on Northern Blvd. You can see every luxury car made practically in those stores.
    But Great Neck/ Little Neck is a perfect mix of Long Island and NYC. If you live in Little Neck you can say you live in New York City though, since it technically is Queens.
    The only thing is mainly in Great Neck there are a lot of snooty people. I'm not saying their all snooty, I'm just saying the snooty ratio is a bit higher.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Huh; June 3rd, 2006 at 04:35 PM.

Just bought a new home in Wading River. The area looks great, and there's not too much traffic.

Anybody from the area have any recommendations on things to do, places to see, good restaurants, etc. for that part of Long Island?

The wine country just east of Wading River is beautiful.

Here are some upcoming winery events in the area:

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/20...out_that_1.php

As for restaurants, it's rather traditional, but I like Blackwell's in Wading River.