Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Piers 25 and 26 in Tribeca - Hudson River Park

Looks like the Mini golf went Micro......

A Bigger Boathouse in Store for Rebuilt Pier 26

By Carl Glassman

A rendering of the new boathouse and restaurant on Pier 26.

Less bar will mean more boats for the Downtown Boathouse when it returns next year to new quarters on a rebuilt Pier 26, near Hubert Street in Tribeca.

A Community Board 1 committee was shown a redesign of the boathouse last month that will mean more kayaks, from 192 in the original design, to 228.A little more than half the slips—120—will be designated for 18-foot kayaks, while 108 slips will be used for 15-foot vessels. The extra space was obtained by reconfiguring the adjoining restaurant.

“We ate into the bar a little bit,” said Signe Nielsen, whose firm, Matthews Nielsen, is in charge of the project. The new configuration is in response to boaters who complained that the original design, presented more than two years ago, was too small for the number and size of boats they wanted to store.

Five seasons have passed since the boathouse, and the free weekend kayaking that it offered, shut down on Pier 26 in advance of the pier’s demolition. Since then, its closest programs have operated at Pier 40, near Houston Street.

Connie Fishman, president of the Hudson River Park Trust, said she expects contracts on the Pier 26 boathouse to be awarded in March. Construction, she said, should take nine months and be finished for the 2011 season.

http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2010...t-pier-26.html

Banned Member

The park is incredibly short-sighted in its continued reluctance to provide any substantial eating establishments within the park. It really is a squandered opportunity.

They've added a bunch of 1939 World's Fair style lamp posts all along the length of Pier 25.

Plans there do include food of some sort. Perfect site for a Shake Shack.

Yes, though I think I'd still miss the laid back vibe of the old pier with its big, open grill. You could stand right there casually chatting with the dude flipping burgers as he made yours the way you wanted it. There was no, NUMBER 74! YOUR ORDER'S UP!

Yeah that and the lemonade was good. But funky isn't what the bureaucrats like.

This section of HRP is making progress, but Pier 24 won't be open until sometime later this summer (meanwhile we'll have to make do with the new stuff at Chelsea Cove).

From recent walks along the river ...

That section turned out nice, but it needs the piers.

Pier 25 will have a snack bar, and I think that section will open this fall. Pier 26 will have a restaurant, but only the pier shell was built; no funds to complete it. So one small segment from the reddish trees to the Citigroup building will remain undone.

I miss working down there....

That boardwalk section is really great, I wish it went on and on like that. Zippy, even though Pier 26 won't be done yet do you think they will still work on the park space in front of it or will they force everyone out to the bike path? I'm hoping it's just the pier itself closed off.

The boardwalk definitely gets an A+++. The plantings in that area are really thriving this year. Excellent work from all involved in the project.

By the current look of things the park promenade along the bulkhead near Pier 26 will be opening later than the stretch from there south, running past Pier 25 and on to BPC. That southern stretch along the water is nearly complete, with basketball courts, plantings and the comfort station at the foot of Pier 25 all either complete or in the final stages (Pier 25 itself also looks nearly ready, with the volleyball courts out above the water now fenced and lit, the playground equipment in, and plantings all around).

One bright spot for the stretch to the north is the park building that they've put in at the foot of Pier 26; it's now being built out and the exterior tiled, so that would indicate that this stretch will get worked on and not sit silent waiting for Pier 26 funding to come through. But because this on shore section is used for staging of the other work it seems there will be a continued detour for walkers, forcing them out into the bike path for some time until they get the final stretch opened and connect the bulkhead walkway all the way through from north to south.

I thought the fund shortfall was for the completion of pier 26 and the "uplands" from the pier to Laight St, but I'm not sure. The structure that's being built further north is for park maintenance, but there are many drain vaults lying around.

The southern building will also be used for the skate park

The bulkhead and railing are already done. Before they opened the new segment, the Jersey barriers were moved to the railing. I thought they might have been creating a temporary walkway along the bulkhead, but that hasn't happened. On weekends, the "shared bikeway" is impossible for pedestrians and bikers.

I'll ask a hardhat next time I go by.

Is the skate park to go into the on shore concrete enclosure that's been built just south of the new park building at the foot of Pier 25?

never mind ^

I see that is where the skate park will go in ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pier25HRP1.jpg 
Views:	1036 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	9709  

^
    Yes. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the building had a large opening, like for a snack bar. A worker told me it was for the skate park, and a snack bar would be on pier 25.

They were just starting to install the green glazed brick, and it looked good.

EDIT: Never mind.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast