Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Piers 25 and 26 in Tribeca - Hudson River Park

Pier 25 on schedule, 26 in need of funds

BY Michael Mandelkern

Pier 25 (at bottom) is nearing completion, while Pier 26 (on top)
    languishes due to a lack of funds.

After five years of construction, Pier 25 and its surrounding area are slated to open to the public in October while the future of its neighbor, Pier 26, remains uncertain. The new Pier 25 will keep some its original attractions, including mini-golf and beach volleyball, with the addition of a playground, water taxi station and turf field for active and recreational play.

Pier 25 is “going to look like other parts of Hudson River Park,” said Katz in terms of design. The wooden foundation of Pier 25 was decomposing and the structure was becoming a borderline safety hazard.

“[Pier 25] had to be rebuilt — this is definitely an upgrade,” said Katz. “It’s going to be stable.” According to him Pier 25 is at “the tail end” of construction.

Although it will shed its shoddy-yet-homely look for a modernized appearance, Katz anticipates that the pier will remain a fixture in the community.

“The charm comes from the people that are there, not the inanimate objects. Maybe they’ll bring back those old feelings,” he said.

There will be a basketball court and skate park in Tribeca Upland, a recreational and active play strip along the Hudson River that extends past Pier 25 and Pier 26.

“There are things to do. It’s going to be huge,” said Katz.

The H.R.P.T. covers infrastructure costs, such as electricity and building, and will hold a public bidding process for operational control of Pier 25 sometime this summer with a formal announcement on the H.R.P.T.’s website.

The operator sets prices for concessions and decides what food to serve, makes capital improvements, determines admission prices for activities, sets opening and closing hours and decides when large groups in the community have access to its facilities.

“It’s a give and take process. It still reflects on the Trust, so we’ll be watching more of what they are doing,” said Katz.

Once the bidding process begins, it takes roughly one month for the H.R.P.T. to select an operator.

Bob Townley, executive director of the Manhattan Youth Downtown Community Center, operated Pier 25 from 1994 until it went under construction in 2005.

At the time, Manhattan Youth had complete control of Pier 25 but Katz insisted that the new operator would not “run wild,” solidifying the H.R.P.T.’s role in its development.

As for Pier 26, funding seems to be the hold up. There isn’t enough money yet to open the planned estuarium, a hands-on ecology wet lab, despite a $5 million grant the H.R.P.T. received solely for the project.

“We had hoped to have more money before times got so tough, but everyone’s struggling so we’re grateful for what we can get,” said Noureen Doyle, executive vice president of the H.R.P.T.

There is currently $6 million available, equally allocated from the city and state, to build a boathouse and café on Pier 26. However, there is no set date for completion because the H.R.P.T. is still assessing its finances for the project.

While the Tribeca Upland area south of Pier 25, which will include the skate park and basketball court, will be ready in the fall, the dog run and surrounding area outside of Pier 26 may still be under construction at year’s end. If there is leftover funding from the $6 million towards Pier 26, it will be diverted into the Tribeca Upland area.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_37...nschedule.html

From our earlier conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    ...that would indicate that this stretch will get worked on and not sit silent waiting for Pier 26 funding to come through. But because this on shore section is used for staging of the other work it seems there will be a continued detour for walkers, forcing them out into the bike path for some time until they get the final stretch opened and connect the bulkhead walkway all the way through from north to south.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I thought the fund shortfall was for the completion of pier 26 and the "uplands" from the pier to Laight St, but I'm not sure. The structure that's being built further north is for park maintenance, but there are many drain vaults lying around.
    The article above that Merry posted states:

While the Tribeca Upland area south of Pier 25, which will include the skate park and basketball court, will be ready in the fall, the dog run and surrounding area outside of Pier 26 may still be under construction at year’s end. If there is leftover funding from the $6 million towards Pier 26, it will be diverted into the Tribeca Upland area.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Pier 25 on schedule, 26 in need of funds

“[Pier 25] had to be rebuilt — this is definitely an upgrade,” said Katz. “It’s going to be stable.” According to him Pier 25 is at “the tail end” of construction.

[/URL]
    I have not heard of any contingency plans for pier 26: if in fact there are any. If pier 26 is also 'stable' it remains to be seen if it will be paved and landscaped in way that would provide for public access until the pier is built-out in accordance with the original plans.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post327799
    Last edited by infoshare; July 9th, 2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: link to schematic of pier 25/26

From here, it looks like they're almost ready to open.

But still lots of work left in front of the piers.

Pier 25

Fred & Wilma's house
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; July 28th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

LOL ^ Bedrock on the Hudson

Default Piers 25 & 26

More ferries would be a good idea. Cut down on traffic for sure. Btw is that one of the piers where the White Star Line used to be? I have pics from there but I forgot what pier number it was. The Titanic was supposed to dock there. Very eerie. Also saw a segment on the news yesterday on the new WTC. It was an on-the-ground tour with interviews conducted by Fox Channel 5. From the air it never looks like they're making much progress, but on the ground, & even underneath where there will be a museum, there is definitely progress being made. The memorial footprint fountain tanks are already in place, & that part of the site will be ready for this year's 9/11 remembrance.

Titanic was to dock at Pier 59 (where the golf range now is at the Chelsea Piers, opposite 19th Street). Inside the Chelsea Piers, along the water, are a number of photos from the olden days when the big liners docked there.

Survivors were put aboard the Carpathia and were brought into Pier 54, the now-bare expanse opposite the Standard Hotel at Little West 12th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Btw is that one of the piers where the White Star Line used to be? I have pics from there but I forgot what pier number it was. The Titanic was supposed to dock there. Very eerie. Also saw a segment on the news yesterday on the new WTC.
    You will enjoy this post in particular; and there are also some additional news items about the White Star Line / Titanic story in that same thread. Enjoy - and bring your life jacket. (LOL)

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post294343

Lofter, thanks for the info, & I'll check out the pics at Chelsea whenever I get back there. Pier 54, too. Info share, the link showed me some very neat pics of what the pier was like when it was active. To see the metal frame, which I have a pic of, surrounded by glass & wood & concrete with people milling around was cool. If the frame is still there like it was a year & a half ago, you can barely make out Cunard White Star, including that metal pipe contraption just inside the gate. The pier itself was bare when I visited. Golf range now, huh? Well I guess that's some kind of progress. At least there's life there again. Thanks people.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    If the frame is still there like it was a year & a half ago, you can barely make out Cunard White Star, including that metal pipe contraption just inside the gate. The pier itself was bare when I visited. Golf range now, huh? Well I guess that's some kind of progress. At least there's life there again. Thanks people.
    I think the whole Gate entering pier 54 is still there and looks pretty much the same as in the picture: only restored a bit: the golf stuff is somewhere else it think - not sure on this, as you can tell.

The golf is definitely on another pier, the gate was only put back up a few years ago (it had been fenced in rusting on the ground).
    They use this one to show free old movies, and hold open air concerts.

Banned Member

I walked from my office on West 52nd down HRP today. So many trees and plantings are dried up and dead. The section just south of the heliport, which is the natural habitat area is just devastated.

Fred Flintstone's Tribeca Dream House Built in Hudson River Park

August 11, 2010, by Pete

(click to enlarge)

The revamped Pier 25 in Tribeca's slice of Hudson River Park, set to open in October, is getting ready to rock. For fun there will be a skate park, three new beach volleyball courts and a playground filled with new versions of the shiny stuff that has parents perturbed. But at the top of the list is the return of the much-missed miniature golf course, situated next to what appears to be Fred and Wilma's house.

The faux-stoneish structure, in the Bedrock Revival style, bumps up against the more modern dockmaster building and can be seen from the busy bikeway along West Street. What function the Flintstone's flat will serve is anyone's guess, but a clue comes our way via the Hudson River Park Trust.

The Trust recently issued an RFP (warning: PDF) looking for a snack kiosk/sports concessions operator. It outlines the opportunities for Pier 25, including eateries, noting that the park along the river has over 7,000,000 visitors per year. Those crowds get hungry and, with numbers like that, this could make for a boatload of Brontosaurus Burgers and other tasty treats. Along with feeding the throngs, the concessionaire will get to run the fun stuff (aka the "recreational Elements". Applicants must commit to a three-year contract, barring any sudden ice ages.

New Hudson River Park Home for Duffers and Dockmasters [Curbed]
    Pier 25 coverage [Curbed]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...river_park.php

Curbed cribbed Zippy's posts

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast