Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: east-harlem.com

Banned Member

Exclamation east-harlem.com

If you sent me an email at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com, please check your email for an urgent message. We need to discuss the contents of that message ASAP.

Architectural Padawan

People will always find something to be pissed off about, and when something like what happened to JB occurs, you can bet that both sides will become polarized. This doesn't have to be political, and it shouldn't be. We know where our hearts are at on this and shouldn't be intimidated by those who are seeking to derail our efforts.

Forum Veteran

I thought the scope of the project was maintenance to the existing landscaping and hopefully installing a plaque? Is naming even an option without $250,000?

I'm really sorry my posts were excerpted and used against the project.

Whatever misunderstanding arose due to the passions that were felt / exhibited following JB's death seemingly has been dealt with.

There have been no further negative PR / postings regarding our project.

Let's remember that we've found a beautfiul place to help to Memorialize JB's spirit.

The NYRP Endowment in JB's name is first and foremost an educational fund with the aim of serving the community where JB's life ended -- a community that JB cared deeply for.

I truly believe that the focus of our community's effort should be on what positive steps can be taken to try to insure that no one else need suffer an early and pointless death such as befell JB. If others cannot see the purity and beauty of that then there is little that can be done to open their eyes.

And -- PLEASE -- let's not fuel their fire by tossing posts in their direction ...

At least not unit AFTER the Planting Day on May 13th.

What's this all about?

Yes, what´s this all about? Brooklyn, could you send me a PM explaining this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Yes, what´s this all about? Brooklyn, could you send me a PM explaining this? Thanks.
    Me, too.

Banned Member

Brian / Susan-

This was forwarded to me by a friend trying to get info on contributing the JB Hehman project.

http://www.east-harlem.com/mt/archiv...ural_news.html

I did not know it existed or that there was such opposition to this project. Chris Schott of the Village Voice told me a concern had been raised at a CB11 meeting, but I never imagined that this existed. Yet, another step in my education in activism.

I wish someone at NYRP had been upfront with us about the depth of this problem and allowed us to participate more fully in how our online community investing in this project would respond. I'm running around thinking we are doing something positive and constructive and this, unbeknownst to me, has been the backdrop I've played against. I have no doubt that you made decisions and did everything you could to facilitate our project, but, as the de facto leader, I personally feel foolish and humiliated. The quotes are taken totally out of context and our community, one that is one of the most ardent advocates for the lesser served communities has been unfairly tainted. And, my name is on it all. I acted willingly, but my actions would have been much different had I known these specific things were being stated and posted.

I was very proud of this project and what we have accomplished to date as well as our intent for the outcome. I am extremely sorry to have placed NYRP in this position and I am ashamed to go back to WiredNewYork and report what has transpired. Our forums are first and foremost about a willingness to tell the truth and stand by and defend our convictions. I need to bring this project bck to the WiredNewYork community for a vote. I believe I have, in my enthusiasm, led us astray.

A copy of my letter to CB 11 has been sent to EastHarlem.com, a letter of explanation that actually preceded the letter from Ms. Ortiz to Council Member Viverito by one day and a letter that should have made our intentions clear in the face of these accusations. A copy of this email has been sent to WiredNewYork supporters of this project.

I don't know what I can or will do, but I will be there on the 13th.

Rob

Banned Member

I have very strong feelings about this issue based on the meeting and conversations with NYRP. I feel we were betrayed, lied to and manipulated. I'm not going to list my complaints, but will share them with anyone who wishes to PM me on the issue.

I think it is just my frustration, but I also initially felt that perhaps others knew about this and it was why no one was responding to our emails and requests for input on the project. Maybe, and most likely, I am wrong, but who would want to post anything under an eye waiting to pounce.

My personal feeling and suggestion is that we execute our day of service on the 13th of May as planned and with the same enthusiasm. I also suggest we consider donating the entire JB Hehman Memorial Fund, under the auspices of NYRP, to Ms. Marina Ortiz and her cohorts with the stipulaton that they do something creative and public in her neighborhood - the exact neighborhood where JB died - to benefit the THAT community.

I'm very angry, but not so angry as to lose focus of why we are doing this. Let's fulfill our commitment to Maggie's Garden with NYRP. But I would like to discuss doing exactly what Ms. Ortiz suggests and work with her, an East Harlem community activist, by donating this fund to her "efforts." It is the last thing she will expect and the one thing that will exemplify exactly what our intention was from the start.

It should be noted that the meeting that BR & I had with NYRP took place on April 20 -- the same day the letter mentioned on the website is dated and 3 days before the date of the linked post (April 23).

There apparently have been NO follow-up posts on that forum.

At this stage of the game I don't see how it serves us or JB's memory to resurrect what appears to be a less-than lively subject over at that forum.

So: IMO if we can all refrain from sending posts in reply to that forum that's the best way to go. Why create a discussion where none exists?

I think that's the course that best serves our effort to Memorialize JB.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I also suggest we consider donating the entire JB Hehman Memorial Fund, under the auspices of NYRP, to Ms. Marina Ortiz and her cohorts with the stipulaton that they do something creative and public in her neighborhood - the exact neighborhood where JB died - to benefit the THAT community.
    Please tell me you're joking?

IMHO this suggestion is not a good idea.

First: NYRP isn't going to get into that pissing match.

Second: we shouldn't fall into the game of politicizing JB's Memory. We agreed not to do that from the beginning.

Let's focus on JB's memorial. No one is reading or talking about that other website -- except us.

Ms Ortiz has got it wrong. Chances are, whatever you do, she'll take it wrong.

Forum Veteran

Why were those posts offensive to her? I only see one that might be. Was she taking them as racist?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast