Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 175 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower # 3 - by Richard Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TomAuch View Post
    It reminds me of the New York Times tower being built in Midtown.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing.

Anyone know the height of the building? Looks easily 1100 feet tall to the roof that is. I heard somewhere that the spires would be 1260 feet. So I guess we could have 3 buildings officially taller than ESB.

I'm so happy about this plan! I like it way better than the original plans, and even the original twin towers!

In the long run... londonlawyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    This one is being planned a the new headquarters of a major finacial firm, so this one starts first folowed by four and then two
    I thought that No. 2 was to be the Merril Lynch HQ.

The Dude Abides

I remember hearing that Bear Stearns was interested in Tower 3. As for the height questions, here's the fact sheet from WTC.com:

175 GREENWICH STREET
    RICHARD ROGERS PARTNERSHIP
    ARCHITECTURAL FACT SHEET - SEPTEMBER 2006

SITE INFORMATION

175 Greenwich Street (Tower 3) will be located on a site bounded by Greenwich Street to the west, Church Street to the east, Dey Street to the north and Cortlandt Street to the south. It will be opposite the proposed WTC Memorial and Cultural Center.

PROGRAM
    175 Greenwich Street, a 71-story tower, is the third tallest building on the World Trade Center site. It will rise to 1,155 ft above street level.

With 54 office floors, 175 Greenwich Street includes 2.1 million sq ft of office space and five trading floors. The footprint of a typical floor is approximately 200 ft by 198 ft. At ground floor level, the footprint of the building is 49,000 sq ft. At trading floor level—the widest level—this increases to 55,000 sq ft.

175 Greenwich Street will have five retail levels—the ground floor, two below grade levels and two levels above the ground floor—that total 133,000 sq ft (of which 73,000 sq ft is at or above street level).

There are eight mechanical floors serving the office space and trading floors, five of which are located at the base of the office accommodation, three at the top of the tower. There is also one PATH mechanical floor.

175 Greenwich Street will incorporate 37 passenger elevators serving the main part of the tower plus four freight elevators. The trading floors will be served by eight separate passenger elevators. The retail floors will be served by two passenger and two freight elevators. In addition, there will be two principal stairwells in the main part of the tower, increasing to four stairwells in the lower part of the building.

DESIGN CONCEPT
    Designed by Richard Rogers Partnership, 175 Greenwich Street is at the center of the various buildings around the WTC Memorial site. As a result, it stands centrally across Greenwich Street from the main axis formed by the two reflecting pools of the Memorial. The design of the tower addresses this central position and accentuates the building verticality relative to the Memorial site. As suggested in the World Trade Center Master Plan, this verticality—relative to the adjacent and smaller building at 150 Greenwich Street—is also accentuated by the stepped profile of 175 Greenwich Street and by the antennae.

The design uses a structural load-sharing system of diamond-shaped bracing which helps to articulate the building's east-west configuration. All corners of the tower are column free to ensure that occupiers of the office levels have unimpeded 360 degree panoramic views of New York.

The upper levels of the tower appear to straddle the lower levels—the 'podium building'—that help to reduce the impact of the building's high volume and emphasize the interlocking nature of the base with the upper part of the building.

The lobby—three levels high—is on Greenwich Street. This offers tenants and visitors a 'big picture window' onto the WTC Memorial.

175 Greenwich Street offers a strong interface with the public realm along Cortlandt and Dey Streets which will be redeveloped into pedestrian areas. This, in turn, will improve the accessibility of the retail space in the building, as well as helping it to integrate more completely with the Transportation Hub to the north of Dey Street.

BUILDING SYSTEMS
    The tower will consist of a central concrete core—steel encased in reinforced concrete—and be clad in an external structural steel frame. Safety systems exceed New York City building code and Port Authority requirements. Designed to the highest energy efficiency ratings, 175 Greenwich Street will seek to achieve the gold standard under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) by the US Green Building Council.

PROJECT SCHEDULE
    175 Greenwich Street is expected to be completed by 2011 - or four years after the site is made available to Silverstein Properties.

I was reminded of the Times Tower too, without the rods obviously.

I think it's 1,265 feet with the spires. So even at 1,155 feet, this is a bonus. It was planned to be 950-1,050. Really, only Maki's tower fell within the original ranges, which is alright with me.

The Dude Abides

I don't think these have been posted yet:

This one's from Dey Street:

I'm absolutely enamored with this tower. I think I may even like it more than Foster's. It's just such an elegant, but powerful skyscraper - no bull. This will definitely become an instant New York classic, all the moreso because the most photographed view will probably be from the west, and this tower sits front and center, with minimal obstruction from the World Financial Center. Thank you, Rogers!

Is there an arched structure at the interior of the base in that last ^^^ photo?

Or a reflection of Calatrava across the street?

I believe it is Calatrava.

Earlier in the day I said this tower was very good. After looking at it longer, I want to say it's right up there with Foster's.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the large format images of 175 / Rogers / 3WTC?

I can download the Maki & the Foster but for some reason whenever I >> click << on "Download" for these images I just get that little red x in a box

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Anyone else having trouble downloading the large format images of 175 / Rogers / 3WTC?

I can download the Maki & the Foster but for some reason whenever I >> click << on "Download" for these images I just get that little red x in a box

Im having trouble down loading about half the images.

Not just you. Rogers hasn't worked all day for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    Im having trouble down loading about half the images.
    High traffic could be an issue at the moment.

It's been like that all day for me.

Are there spires or antennas at top of the tower?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerUSA View Post
    Are there spires or antennas at top of the tower?
    They appear to simply be architectural spires at the moment.

Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast