Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 175 Greenwich Street - WTC Tower # 3 - by Richard Rogers

The death of an amazing tower

All in all, the WTC has been a major disappointment. Tower 2 could be the saving grace though if it isn't butchered.

It's so much plain glass.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    All in all, the WTC has been a major disappointment. Tower 2 could be the saving grace though if it isn't butchered.
    I'm sorry but this reaction is ridiculous. Are you investing anything into this project? Are you part of the architectural firm? One of the people who will be working in this tower? Are you a construction worker on this project? Is it your money being spent? Calling a 1000+ tower a 'disappointment' simply because the developer chooses to save money on a non-essential feature is ludacrous. If it wasn't for Larry Silverstein you wouldn't even be in this very thread, because the tower would not exist. When you become a billionaire developer you can build whatever you see fit, but until then don't pretend as though your heart is broken, because after all this tower does not yet exist, and any decision to its design has absolutely no relevance to the wishes of observers on an internet forum. I really hope people on wirednewyork are able to become wealthy enough to build the dream towers New York deserves, but until then you are nothing more than a backseat developer, and as such your voice is worth nothing. If you want to contribute $50 million to Silverstein to implement the cross braces, then please, step forward and contribute your money to the project.

Incredible. This building is now officially terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimiak View Post
    Are you investing anything into this project?
    All we should care about are things we put our money on?

Calling a 1000+ tower a 'disappointment' simply because the developer chooses to save money on a non-essential feature is ludacrous.
    You can say the same thing about accepting it merely because if its size. Appearance is non-essential?

If it wasn't for Larry Silverstein you wouldn't even be in this very thread, because the tower would not exist.
    How do you know what the sequence of events would be if Silverstein was out of the picture? Is he the only developer?

When you become a billionaire developer you can build whatever you see fit,
    Red herring.

and any decision to its design has absolutely no relevance to the wishes of observers on an internet forum.
    First of all, many of us live in the area. And now besides having a money stake, you suggest that only people with direct contact with a project should care about it.

I really hope people on wirednewyork are able to become wealthy enough to build the dream towers New York deserves, but until then you are nothing more than a backseat developer, and as such your voice is worth nothing. If you want to contribute $50 million to Silverstein to implement the cross braces, then please, step forward and contribute your money to the project.
    Silverstein received financial assistance from the PA, the state and the city. We already contributed.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Now we just gotta wait for the other shoe to drop, i.e. cheapen the glass by making it wavy and reflective.

God, this city is so pathetic. I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    All we should care about are things we put our money on?

You can say the same thing about accepting it merely because if its size. Appearance is non-essential?

How do you know what the sequence of events would be if Silverstein was out of the picture? Is he the only developer?

Red herring.

First of all, many of us live in the area. And now besides having a money stake, you suggest that only people with direct contact with a project should care about it.

Silverstein received financial assistance from the PA, the state and the city. We already contributed.
    In a capitalist society, and considering the enormous expense of such a project, yes money is in fact the most important factor. This is not a tower of symbolic value, it is a tower of economic value, and Silverstein is pursuing his economic interests first. On appearance, I do believe the tower is still beautiful, and after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and the wallet of the developer). Concerning this tower, Silverstein is indeed the only developer and the owner of the land. I live in the area, and I go to school in the area as well, so the project is just as close to me as any local. Also, Silverstein is receiving assistance from the PA ONLY FOR THE LOWER PART OF THE TOWER that serves the transit center. The above grade portion is entirely financed by his corporation, not tax payer money. Concerning the stakes in the project, Silverstein has not limited or scaled back the tower in ANY WAY, he has simply removed a non-essential, non-functioning portion of the tower, which was designed by an architect PAID FOR by Silverstein, and therefore he is the bottom line for all aesthetic decisions. Saying that you contributed to this tower is a laugh, considering possibly 1% of your taxes (as well as mine) go to the tower, which is already an overstatement, does not at all contribute to the design of the beast. You truly have absolutely no say in the matter, as you are absolutely nothing to this process, and calling me out on a red herring is laughable when you pretend as though you are A) a majority opinion on the appearance of the design of the tower, and B) a real contributing member to the design process. In the end, opinions are like assholes, everyones got one. And yours is as good as mine, and neither opinion has any sway whatsoever on this tower. So please just sit back and let the actual people in charge of this project do their job. As I said before, if you really want the cross braces, give them money to build them. I would love you to do this.

Are you in high school?

It must be Huffy High.

Why would you ask if I am in high school simply because I choose to defend a difficult decision made by Larry Silverstein? I am trying to counter your arguments with what I believe to be the realities of the situation and your only retort is to insinuate that I am a child. I don't think there is much more I can add to this discussion, as the decision has already been made outside of the confines of this message board. It is what the tower has become and the only thing for you and I to do is to accept the fate of 175 Greenwich as it stands.

That is one way to live life: accept everything that's thrown at you since it's all fate and nothing you do matters.

If anything this latest twist simply shows that nothing is certain. Not even this version, the one that you now say we must accept.

Wanna bet it will change again?

And always remember: "you are absolutely nothing to this process"

Maybe even less than that.

I'm sorry you are hurt by this change but these things happen. I would love New York to be as unique and grand as possible as well, but I realize that I am not contributing millions of dollars into the process to create these 4 cross beams, other people are (or rather are not). As long as it is not my money and not my project then I must accept it is not my decision to make. There is no amount of complaining on Wirednewyork that will change this fact. If you have the money to contribute then I am sure Silverstein will gladly accept it.

But please let's just move on and appreciate what we are getting, which is an incredible supertall skyscraper in New York City.

If opinions are like assholes, it seems like you are trying to say that we are assholes with opinions.

Funny how you defend that guy and the design with an angry rant!

You must have some connection to the project.

The new tower sucks, deal with it.

Oh, and I'm not complaining, I'm stating an opinion based on design and this has nothing to do with Larry, $$, being thankful for a new supertall, etc, etc. When you follow beautiful designs all over the world, you can't expect me to be happy about that 'lump' of glass. Sure, nice skyline filler, but hardly great design, and my expectations for NYC are low. The tower is now basically a glass box, how can you defend such a change from a design standpoint?
    Last edited by futurecity; June 24th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimiak View Post

please let's just move on and appreciate what we are getting
    If as you say we're nothing to this process then being thankful is pointless, no?

Nothing matters.

We're all dying.

Larry Silverstein has more money than any of you.

And he's building a big glass box. Because he can.

(ps: kissing and making up isn't as easy as you're trying to make it out to be)