Page 119 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2361

Thread: 150 Greenwich Street - WTC Tower #4 - by Fumihiko Maki

I don't think anything was changed. The discrepancy may be due to how floors are counted - office vs mechanical, double floors, etc.

So far to the setback, the building elevation is exactly how STR rendered it. What remains looks like 16 floors and a three floor height roof screen.

This is a great building.

It's looking better than I thought it would.

I think this is on pace to still top out before 1WTC despite the headstart...

y hoy...

[QUOTE=londonlawyer;384921]It's nice to see that the setback has started.[/QUOTE

Yes indeed. This tower has proven itself to be better than I originally thought it would be. If I could choose one word to describe such a dominant building, based upon what I have seen thus far, I think the word is "elegant," almost an understated elegance.

Happy New Year to everyone!

LondonLawyer, I don't know if you're in London right now or in New York, but from what I saw of New Year's Eve in London, it was brilliant, positively brilliant. The fireworks were incredible, and it seems as if this is London's year. It's skyline is transforming rapidly. It will hold the Summer Olympics, and of historical significance, Her Majesty, The Queen, will be only the second British monarch to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. My partner and I will be there during the 4-day bank holiday during the first week in June as well as during the the opening of the Olympics.

As for New Year's Eve, the one cheesy moment was when the loudspeakers started blasting the Chariots of Fire theme during a playback of the official announcement that London had won the bid to hold the Olympic games. It just seemed...as I said...cheesy.

As for the fireworks, they were incredible. I don't recall fireworks ever being set of from within St. Stephen's Clock Tower at Westminster Palace. If I had a choice of being anywhere in London at New Year's Eve (other than the clock tower itself), I think it would have to be a gondola on the London Eye.

Some more from today:

From some angles it's like a mirage. Seems that effect will only increase as more glass goes on.

Dead on observation, Lofter. This was especially evident yesterday given there was nothing for the building to reflect but blue sky. Overall it's a pretty big and boring tower, but at least it won't have the soul-crushing heftiness of One Liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I think this is on pace to still top out before 1WTC despite the headstart...
    If the floor counts are accurate, this one is about 740 ft, 237 to go. 1WTC is at 1178, 190 to go.

That's tight. I don't know if I have this one.

That angle of the east facade along Church is a welcome change to the view looking south.

It's nice to see a "change in shape" as a building rises. It seems like that, these days, they just rise and remain the same shape. (There are, of course, notable exceptions.)

Tribeca Trib
    January 11, 2012

What's Going On? An Insider Talks about WTC Construction

BY JESSICA TERRELL

Malcolm Williams, a WTC construction manager, will talk about the building taking place on the east side of the World Trade Center site, which includes three office towers and the Calatrava-designed PATH station.

From the blasting to bedrock to the raising of steel to soaring heights, construction at the World Trade Center is an ever changing, massively complicated and fascinating story.

If anyone can tell it, Malcolm Williams can. As Silverstein Properties’ construction manager for Tower 4, one of the three (and nearest to completion) Silverstein towers under construction on the east side of the site, Williams knows the answer to “What’s Happening on the East Side of the World Trade Center Site?”

That’s the title of the free talk, sponsored by Tribute WTC, that he will give Friday, Jan. 17 at 7 World Trade Center (the Silverstein building completed in 2006). As a bonus, attendees will get to see an impressive view of the site from high up in the 7 World Trade Center building.

“For me what's really interesting is the elaborate nature of the interconnectedness of the site,” said Tribute WTC Curator Meriam Lobel. “If you can understand that, you can understand how anything that happens there in one spot impacts things on the rest of the plaza.”

Construction progress on the site, halted many times and long the source of ridicule, is now being made daily. For Williams, that’s the most exciting part of the job.

"Things are moving," he said. “After the very long delays we've had, it's good to see the neighborhood coming back. And we are on time for the projects we're working on."

At 4 WTC, steel is currently above the 57th floor, and concrete was being poured above the 46th floor last week. The building will eventually rise to 72 floors, and is slated for completion next year. Subgrade work continues on 3 WTC; construction is underway on 2 WTC but its completion is dependent on funding and market demand.

The largest building on the site, 1 WTC (being built by the Port Authority) now has steel at the 91st floor, and is already the Downtown’s tallest building. It will be the tallest in New York when it opens in 2013 at 105 floors.

About 35 slots were still open for the 6:30 p.m. event as of Wednesday. Reservations must be made by Friday, Jan. 13. Only those who have registered will be allowed into 7 WTC. Send an email to rsvp@tributewtc.org.

Copyright © 2009 The Tribeca Trib