Page 155 of 158 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158 LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 2361

Thread: 150 Greenwich Street - WTC Tower #4 - by Fumihiko Maki

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Bollards around buildings are to prevent vehicles on suicide missions, not pedestrians.

Hovering, the cold is partially to blame but it can't be the only reason. There are plenty of cold places that don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Bollards around buildings are to prevent vehicles on suicide missions, not pedestrians.
    ^This. I installed a ring of them around 111 Wall St a few years back. It is a major undertaking. The bollards you see are just a shiny skin over a thick steel pipe embedded in concrete and buried deep into a grade beam about 6' below ground with thick steel rods running through the center. You could hit those bollards at 100MPH in a dump truck and they wouldn't move an inch.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

There are plenty of cold places that don't have that problem.
    Other countries don't bomb remote places and then pay Bechtel to rebuild that infrastructure at wildly inflated prices. They spend their tax $ on projects that benefit their own citizens.

^ That escalated pretty quickly.

I understand that, but my frustration stems from the fact that there are two rows of parallel bollards. It seems completely unnecessary to even have this "secure lane" on Church Street anyway; all it does is constrict traffic flow on a busy corridor. Can someone please enlighten me? Was the VSC alone not enough?

From what I understand, all vehicles entering the site will be screened. The secure lane (divider with bollards) along Church St prevents vehicles north of the screening zone south of Liberty from entering the site. This would have been done whether or not there were sidewalk bollards within the site.

As for the sidewalk bollards, I don't mind them at all. On any busy street in the city. They protect pedestrians from drivers with their faces in their phones.

We're not going to get much detail from security officials about the VSC, but I think there will be a much higher level of clearance to gain access to the underground loading docks than to simply drive into the site. The VSC isn't for overall site security; it's specifically for the underground levels.

So far, the security booths look OK.

For me, the one place where the whole thing falls apart is....

Tour buses.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    From what I understand, all vehicles entering the site will be screened. The secure lane (divider with bollards) along Church St prevents vehicles north of the screening zone south of Liberty from entering the site. This would have been done whether or not there were sidewalk bollards within the site.

As for the sidewalk bollards, I don't mind them at all. On any busy street in the city. They protect pedestrians from drivers with their faces in their phones.
    In that case, what necessitates the inner row of bollards? After all, any vehicle able to approach them would have been screened anyway. At the very least, couldn't they have used more attractive planters on the sidewalk like in the original WTC?

If I remember correctly, the original WTC had a median on Church Street, and an inactive road, which, if I remember correctly, was primarily used as parking. I hardly doubt this second row of bollards will affect traffic more than it already has, in the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    In that case, what necessitates the inner row of bollards? After all, any vehicle able to approach them would have been screened anyway. At the very least, couldn't they have used more attractive planters on the sidewalk like in the original WTC?
    I was talking about the necessity of the secure lane on Church St. I don't think the sidewalk bollards are necessary, just that I don't mind them.

They don't impede pedestrian movement; planters are just pretty versions of the NYPD concrete blocks, which do get in the way. And they don't look so pretty after people start using them as trash cans and the plants die from neglect.

You can't place planters in a straight line along the curb, or they create a wall. So you have to put them further in toward the middle of the sidewalk, as was done pre 90/11, or zig-zag the line.

And no matter how you try to disguise them, they look like what they are - security barriers.

SUPER BIG Photo of 4 WTC:

https://nyocommercialobserver.files....e-center-3.jpg

Maki's tower was recognized by AIA as one of three New York City-based winners of the trade and advocacy group’s 2014 architecture design award:

AIANY Leaders On NYC-Based 2014 Design Award Winners

Ah, government agencies. The cubicles popping up through the windows in Tower 4 look as bland as ever.