Page 3 of 158 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 150 Greenwich Street - WTC Tower #4 - by Fumihiko Maki

Default boring

ZZZZZZ. I could have designed something more interesting and I'm just some guy sitting here in my underwear.

Maki gets no love.

Forum Veteran

I think the PANYNJ will be taking a bunch of space in this one from what i hear

I had a bad feeling about Maki....just didn't have the same kind of record as Foster and Rogers. Very uninspired.....and downright embarassing for him when compared to 2 and 3 WTC.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    I think the PANYNJ will be taking a bunch of space in this one from what i hear
    The Port Authority will indeed move their headquarters back to the World Trade Center (#4) from their temporary space on Park Ave South, Im thinking they will lease 7 floors (give or take).

Forum Veteran

they need about 500,000 sf for all there NYC functions

I feel this building is much better than 7wtc, to which it is often being compared. Does it dazzle like 2 or 3? Nope. Is it as awesome as 1? Of course not. But the atrium is nothing short of brilliant. Check it out again and imagine seeing all of those criss-crossing escalators and elevator shafts through those gigantic windows. Its going to look fantastic from the memorial.

I do agree with Lofter in that I would like it more if it had a slant. It seems that would tie things up a bit. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
    Tower 4 is horrendous. Reminds me of the Goldman sach crap that we are gettin in BPC. This tower makes me wanna go up to Maki and say to him:

Hey stupid!! What part of ICONIC did you not get!??!!?
    Last edited by TREPYE; September 7th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Relevant quote from the AP article:

Maki's 61-story tower, the first on the construction schedule, would be clad in a perforated aluminum that would make it the lightest-colored of the three. It also would have a restaurant and bar with panoramic views of the memorial and would house the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the trade center site.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Tower 4 is horrendous. Reminds me of the Goldman sach crap that we are gettin in BPC. This tower makes me wanna go up to Maki and say to him:

Hey stupid!! What part of ICONIC did you not get!??!!?
    Horrendous? Well it is sort of bland in the renderings (I heard Maki is a little behind schedule with the detailing but they didn't want to hold up the release to the public) but it is far, far, far superior to the 3 black boxes on Liberty St. so I'd hardly call it horrendous. Its better the 7 WTC for sure also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrecco82 View Post
    Maki gets no love.
    He doesn't deserve any if he puts out something like this.

The Dude Abides

More renderings. I really hope that the lesser level of detail in all of these means that Tower 4 is still in design mode, but I'm kind of resigned to it being a dull, minimalist tower. I'm not going to say I had high hopes though; I never understood why Maki was selected to design one of these. First up, a cross-section:

Church Street view:

These two are labeled "The Atrium":

Memorial Park Restaurant:

Office Lobby:

Cortland Street Elevation:

I actually quite like this one. The good thing though is that having 4 towers competing for attention in the same area is a bit too much IMO.

The roof is flat and is depicted that way in every rendering. At first look, in a couple of those images, it does seem to slant. But as kznyc2k noted, if you look closer you can see the floor lines are parallel to the roof. The perspective view coupled with the sharply angular setback misleads the eye.

The 'incline' of the upper part of the facade mentioned in the article is describing the way the setback angles from the southwest corner in a northwesternly direction.

OK, so in this image what appears to me to be a sloping roof at the topmost part of the Maki buiildng is actually a glass parapet of sorts, hence the color differentiation -- and the optical illusion created by the shift of forms in the upper part of the tower. That's what had me confused ...

(I still wish it sloped ...)