Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Harlem

Going with Schad's advice, anyone have any good tips? I'd prefer the Hamilton Heights area, as opposed to the area East of St Nicholas Park. The Morningside Heights neighborhood is also an option. I'm looking for good restaurants, supermarkets, coffee houses, and juice bars. Any suggestions?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    One cannot even compare the luxurious financial district with corporate offices and condo conversions with Harlem which is still primarily a very poor neighborhood. Some of the areas in the Harlem have average income below 20K/year and have some of the highest welfare rates in the country - especially the housing projects. East Harlem around 110 street and 3rd avenue feels really scary at night. There are plenty of nice areas in Brooklyn and Queens that are safe and have a lot of shopping and life after dark where one can live for less money. Most of Harlem is still not a good place to live, IMHO.
    Please! What racist garbage is this? Yes there are poor black people in Harlem. Im so ****ing tired of this bullshit discrimination, the ideologies put forth on this thread are harmful. As a child I was raised on section 8 housing, was this because my mother who raised me as a single parent was lazy or a drug addict, no it was because my mother worked three jobs and I was raised poor. I experienced class discrimination firsthand, even though my mother tried her best so that I wouldn’t know that we were poor. I am very grateful to have had this time in my life and had to rely on the good graces of family, friends, and yes the government. This was indelibly important because at a young age I became grounded and acquired a grown-up sense of responsibility and an ambition that I never wanted to have to rely on the government for my well-being. Some other things I find missing from these condescending posts is that the system is inherently flawed in New York City, I know people who must force members of their household not to work and must turn down advancements so that their income doesn’t rise past a certain ceiling so that they are in turn tossed out of their home. There is no middle ground in NYC you are either poor and can afford housing or you are rich and you can afford housing, there is no room for attaining a middle class status. Second please realize that for many the state of the poor people in Harlem is a result of the real criminals, white-collar criminals that live and work in the financial district. I know a number of hard-working educated black people who live in Harlem who work or had worked in midtown only to be layed-off or were caught up by a glass ceiling. They tell me straight up, you don’t know what it’s like for someone from the hood, and knowing their character I have no other choice then to believe them. It’s easy for white collar criminals to pad their pockets from taking advantage of people from the “hood”, its little wonder why people from the “hood” turn to crime, and its no different. And then there’s another large faction of poor blacks in Harlem that never even had the chance to an education, education is not the same across the board, black-kids in Harlem simply don’t have the same opportunities. And through it all, through everything that’s against them, living their lives in an eternal struggle, against racism and ideologies akin to those perpetrated by those on this board, through a vicious cycle of dead ends, they are beaten into a submission, and they handle it just as people would. There are those that turn to drugs and crime. What I find remarkable is how many black people have a positive outlook and I am amazed at their optimism and strength of spirit. When I lived in the city, whenever I would go on a work or school break, I would find a homeless person and would offer them a smoke, I would talk to them for however long my break lasted. What I learned from these people is irreplaceable, how they could even talk to me, since I would usually be dressed in my money clothing and here we were relating hardships and what they thought was really important, whether it was music, god, or family. I would never give them false hopes, and I felt bad about this, I would just tell them that the system does in fact suck and that I was just trying my best to make it in this world. These were caring individuals, they had no future but they had great hearts nevertheless. I remember I talked to this one poor middle-aged, uneducated black man, Gary on a bus right on St. Amsterdam Avenue in Harlem. He was wheel-chair bound and I tried showing him how to use a scientific calculator. He told me as we passed his housing roject, “Man, that’s where I live, I still live in the same room that I was born in! All I want in this world is to go travel, to go somewhere else, anywhere else, to get out of this hell hole and to do something with my life.” What was I supposed to tell him? He was a poor, uneducated, wheel-chair bound man. Yes Gary, you can do whatever you want! No I would never tell him that, I would just tell myself how furtanate I was and how I could never put down a fine human being like Gary. I could've and could still be in the same situation. I would say for the people that are spewing this class-discriminations that you should talk to the people that actually live in the “hood” before you cast your judgments upon them. But since you are no where near their situation in the first place, or have ever been or have since forgotten, I don’t think you would have the compassion or consideration to even know how to approach them, (these worthless harmful scum, that must be eliminated), especially since you are so far removed and above them.
    Last edited by NoyokA; August 12th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

And that, folks, is why Stern is the moderator. A round of virtual applause, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    And that, folks, is why Stern is the moderator. A round of virtual applause, please.
    Thanks Schandenfrau. You know where Im coming from and I know Im going to get flak for this. What I cant tolerate though is people classifying poor people as sub-human, inferior, and just plain ole' bad. All poor people are the result of circumstance. My circumstance, a single parent raising me after a bitter divorce, who has worked hard and has since established herself in the upper-middle class tier. My mother was poor but take my character as proof of my raising, my mother is a great person. Some people just don’t understand and it’s unfortunate. Sometimes I find myself caught up with materialism and I find myself becoming impressed with my self and looking down on other people and I catch myself. And I remember where I come from. I’m willing to bet that everyone who has expressed class discrimination in this thread was raised either in a middle class background or an all-white background, or both. I am so very grateful that I had such a grounding experience at a young age, such an experience is irreplaceable.
    Last edited by NoyokA; August 12th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.

I did some searching around today to see what I could find about Hamilton Heights, the area I think our dorm is in.

From New York Magazine:

Typical residents—students, young professionals with college loans, new parents who need an extra room—have fled uptown for space. A lot of actor-singer-dancer-waiters live along (where else?) Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    I did some searching around today to see what I could find about Hamilton Heights, the area I think our dorm is in.

From New York Magazine:

Typical residents—students, young professionals with college loans, new parents who need an extra room—have fled uptown for space. A lot of actor-singer-dancer-waiters live along (where else?) Broadway.
    This is all true. I knew a beautiful (white) apiring actress who lived in this area, once again you'll be fine...

Does anyone have any pictures of Harlem, or know where some can be found?
    Last edited by NewYorkYankee; August 13th, 2006 at 12:31 AM.

There are pictures of the surrounding neighborhood on the CCNY website

I plan to carry mace with me.
    Thats should do well against potential thugs carrying heat...

Does anyone have any pictures of Harlem, or know where some can be found? I'm not interested in Spanish Harlem.
    And Spanish Harlem wants you? God will you stop?

Some more searching also found that CCNY is surrounded on three sides by huge housing projects. Not good for my confidence in the area.
    You have no confidence in the area. You hold yourself so high and above it. I went to City College, it is not surrounded by projects. There are no projects surrounding City College, there are however two recently built luxury condo developments located just off-site.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    You have no confidence in the area. You hold yourself so high and above it. I went to City College, it is not surrounded by projects. There are no projects surrounding City College, there are however two recently built luxury condo developments located just off-site.
    Andrew please, if I held myself so high above it I wouldnt be living there. Look on the NYHA website, I know theyre not right beside of the campus, but they are NEAR it. I dont like being near housing projects, even you said you feel trepidation walking past. My anxiety of this area is not irrational and I dont know why you think it is.

Damn! You are still complaining about Harlem NewYorkYankee? How long are you still going to complain of what a burden living in Harlem will be for you? Please you need to move on... It might be to late to change your mind already. Maybe you made a mistake. Maybe you should have gone to another college outside the city. Unless your parents can afford to pay more for rent, I think NYC is just not for you.

Im not complaining, Im just talking about it now. I even asked for tips for shopping and such. Like I said, Krull, I'm stuck here. If I'm in NYC next semester I will be in Brooklyn Heights.

NYYankee, you ARE being completely irrational.

If you don't like being near housing projects, get out of New York City. There's a big project right by Pace, just in case you hadn't noticed.

Instead of asking any sort of valid questions about your new neighborhood, you keep coming back and posting things like, "I'm going to carry mace!" or some other such horseshit.

Everyone has tried to be helpful and offer advice to you, and all you're offering in return is complete ignorance on the level of your average bigot who has never left, and should never leave, the sticks. If all you're going to do is howl about the injustice of having to live in a neighborhood with black people, go back to Tennessee and stay there.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast