Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Harlem

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    Im not complaining, Im just talking about it now. I even asked for tips for shopping and such. Like I said, Krull, I'm stuck here. If I'm in NYC next semester I will be in Brooklyn Heights.
    I think you said you don't like the East of Harlem or East of you dormitory place... than go west. That is the last alternative you might have. I think there is alot of shopping on broadway. Oh and careful of the 'bad black people'! (which you seem to be avoiding... you know they also walk around your dorms... who knows? One of them might be your doorman if you have one)
    Last edited by krulltime; August 13th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.

I'll check it out. BTW Krull, I was looking at an older thread of yours today of Morningside Heights. Kudos to you, excellent photo tour!

Andrew please, if I held myself so high above it I wouldnt be living there. Look on the NYHA website, I know theyre not right beside of the campus, but they are NEAR it. I dont like being near housing projects, even you said you feel trepidation walking past. My anxiety of this area is not irrational and I dont know why you think it is.

I’m frustrated just like everyone else on this board who continues to give you advice and ways to deal with your situation and you continue to whine and act like a victim, there’s little wonder why this thread is rated a single star (terrible).

We can feel for your situation, I think we all do. It’s not easy for a kid from upper-middle-class suburbia strata to be thrown into a culture shock where you will for the first time in your life be a minority with a different skin color and socioeconomic background. You fear you will targeted. Your fear of the unknown is warranted but we’re telling you that things will be alright if you take appropriate measures. Instead of taking our advice and measures that will make this a valuable life-long lesson you cower and make an effort to make yourself a victim instead of trying to overcome your situation. The way things stand right now with the measures you’re taking and the negative attitude you’re going in with you stand a very good chance of running into trouble. I don’t want to see you run into any trouble, if you took my advice I could’ve almost guaranteed you wouldn’t. I’m done playing games, so continue to pay no attention to our advice, you afterall know better, the people on this forum only know the city like the back of our hands, but you still know better. You’re making yourself into prey, and lets just see how far you get…

I'll check it out. BTW Krull, I was looking at an older thread of yours today of Morningside Heights. Kudos to you, excellent photo tour!
    OMG! A white person survived morningside heights. How bout me? Or Eli who lives in morningside heights? Schadenfrau a female living in the South Bronx? Countless others! How is this possible, Harlem is afterall hell on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Itís not easy for a kid from upper-middle-class suburbia strata to be thrown into a culture shock where you will for the first time in your life be a minority with a different skin color and socioeconomic background.

I would actually be surprised if the prejudice evident on this thread is the result of an upper-middle-class upbringing. It sounds more to me like myopia of growing up in an area where very isolated, unsophisticated people make themselves feel better about their own mediocre lives by drawing a line around urban areas and scrawling, "Monsters Be Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I would actually be surprised if the prejudice evident on this thread is the result of an upper-middle-class upbringing. It sounds more to me like myopia of growing up in an area where very isolated, unsophisticated people make themselves feel better about their own mediocre lives by drawing a line around urban areas and scrawling, "Monsters Be Here!"
    I took a cross-country trip a couple years ago and stopped by Arkansas. As a side-note Arkansas is one of the more liberal southern states. A farmer there told me that his son lived in NYC and that he couldn't understand why he would want to live there since you "Have to stand in the middle of the street in order to see the sky". I didn't tell him that the reason you can't see the sky is because the streets are lined with skyscrapers that are the pride of the city. I entitled him to his beliefs, its funny how those liberated of thought can allow for conservatives to fester, while we worry about our own self interests and expanding our horizons.

I'm finished with this thread. For those of you that would like to think of me as racist, go ahead. If you knew what you were talking about. It seems to me any mention of a poor neighborhood being dangerous on this forum is usually mistaken as racism. I'm going to live in Harlem, I'm going to give it a shot. To be frank with everyone, Im just afraid what happened to J.B. can happen to me.

If that's really what you're worried about, then don't give yourself a false sense of comfort by thinking that sort of thing only happens in Harlem, or in any poor neighborhood, for that matter. Try picking up a newspaper every day.

I'm finished with this thread. For those of you that would like to think of me as racist, go ahead. If you knew what you were talking about. It seems to me any mention of a poor neighborhood being dangerous on this forum is usually mistaken as racism. I'm going to live in Harlem, I'm going to give it a shot. To be frank with everyone, Im just afraid what happened to J.B. can happen to me.
    The sad irony is that JB was not afraid of Harlem, he was a kind loving soul and perhaps that worked against him. What happened to him is not isolated to Harlem. You could just as easily look at living in Harlem as being an advantage as its less-likely of a place to be affected by a centrally planned terrorist attack. The point is you can die in your sleep and where you live shouldnít affect how you live your life. Live it just the same, but anytime you live in the city you need to be smart about it.

Maybe your intent is not be a racist, but that doesnít change the fact that your posts are. Iím a moderator and I am here to protect all of our forum members, and we have forum members here that live in Harlem, believe it or not! How do you think they feel when they read about someone labeling them as criminals and how someone is taking insane measures to avoid them? How do you think I feel, since I am planning on purchasing real estate in an up-and-coming part of New York City, perhaps Harlem when I graduate college?

Frankly, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's watched this self-pitying, attention-seeking, and, yes, racist, display who hopes that you really mean it this time. J.B. died while trying to help a fellow human being on a street corner in East Harlem; that's not likely to be your fate.

Bleh
    Last edited by NewYorkYankee; October 12th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

I apologize to anyone I have offended in this thread. Please be assured my intent was not racism. I also apologize for the continuous ranting. I'm going to go into this semester with a positive attitude, and try to enjoy it. So, to Stern and Schad especially, I apologize.
    Great thats all I wanted to hear! The apology is nice. The going in with a positive attitude is even better!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    And that, folks, is why Stern is the moderator. A round of virtual applause, please.
    ditto.

Stern, I think you nailed it here:

We can feel for your situation, I think we all do. Itís not easy for a kid from upper-middle-class suburbia strata to be thrown into a culture shock where you will for the first time in your life be a minority with a different skin color and socioeconomic background. You fear you will targeted. Your fear of the unknown is warranted but weíre telling you that things will be alright if you take appropriate measures
    He is not used to these things and is, quite frankly, scared.

The things he is hearing he knows to be true, but he wants to be back-patted and assured that his viewpoints are not as wrong as he thinks they might be.

Why? Well, not only are they his, but I would bet money that they are the views of his family and quite a few people around him. It is hard to look at the people you have been surrounded by your entire life and come to the realization of how wrong they are on some things.

I know I have felt something similar when I go to visit my family now. They are extremely tolerant of a lot of things, but culturally, they are still pretty isolated compared to NYC.

That is the one thing I have had to keep in mind any time I visit, is that I am living near and working in one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse (although arguably not homoginized) city in the world, and that the people I love and grew up with are still living in suburbia. I thank them for the accepting nature I got growing up or I would have found it hard at college, and hard in life where I am now, but I realize I have grown beyond my own origins.

We can hope that NYY, and people like him, DO come to the city and realize for themselves what is the truth about other peoples. To stop thinking that what they hear about blacks, indians, mexicans, asians, russians and a whole host of other minorities in NY is somehow true. To CLEAR HIS MIND of the prejudices he has grown up with and try to look at things through a clear lens and make his own decisions on the interactions he has in his own experiences, and hopefully that they follow the advice given by some of the people on this board (and on others like this) so as to not inadvertantly cause the reactions they were told to expect by their own making.

NYY, good luck to you. And remember, one of the first steps in fitting into a different environment is accepting it yourself. If you don't, you never will.

Ninjahedge, I think you're being kind, but you've also got to got to realize that a good percentage of people on this forum didn't grow up in the city, and we've all managed to accustom ourselves to living here.

NewYorkYankee has had his back patted plenty. When he continues to ignore that in favor of beating his breast, he only has himself to blame.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast