Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harlem

Default Harlem

I'm in Harlem nearly every day because of work. I know a lot of the areas in Harlem and near by areas, but my question is is it a good move to live there? It's gotten better, that's for sure but never once lived there. IT looks like an interesting place with a lot of history behind it.

Alot of non newyorkers and outsiders still have the perception and idea of old harlem of late 1980's and early 1990's. Harlem is going through a rebirth and the crime stats are alot lower compared to the 1990's. Plus the brownstones are very beautiful.

so its not that bad to live there?

Depends on a block by block basis.

I found a few places in or around the Harlem area. 1 being in Sugar Hill, another in Washington Heights and another in MArble Hill.

Washington Hieghts would be a better area right?

Like everyone has said, it's block by block.

Are you sure you're looking at Marble Hill? Though that's technically in Manhattan, it is physically located in the Bronx.

I heard and read before that anything above 94th street isn't so good. Is that true?

Can someone give me a link to a site that gives information on Harlem in these days?

Alright, after waiting forever to decide to come back to NYC I had to take the last option with housing. I had to go through a student housing service in NYC, Pace dorms were full. Alas, even with this housing company I had to take their last option. Now, before I ask this, if your going to reply with "If you're scared to live there, you don't need to be in NYC", "This is an ignorant comment by an uneducated person", "This neighborhood is safe as ever, NYC crime is down blah blah blah" etc. I don't want to hear it. I want to hear useful information about this neighborhood. My building is located on 131st street and St Nicholas Avenue in Harlem. The only time I've been to Harlem is with my black friend on 125th. I'm white from a southern town, where I rarely see a single black person. So, Im somewhat nervous, J.B.'s sad death does not help. So, anyone can provide me with tips, info on the area I would appreciate it.

130th-131st Street & Nicholas Avenue is where I usually park when I take the subway downtown. I know there are a few tall public housing buildings lining one side and a park on the other. Also, St. Nicholas here doesn't seem half as busy or litter strewn as the blocks east of it.

I never feel scared walking through Harlem, but then again, I'm not white. I do feel a little uneasy while walking pass the large colonies of "roaches" that congregate on the corner at night but if you don't look at them and look like you have places to be they won't bother you.

Do you think I'd feel better if I brought my car to the city? Lets not think about cost, traffic etc. Do you think I'd feel more comfortable having it rather than relying on calling car services?

Sounds like you're assuming you'll always have a parking spot right in front of your door and will be able to zip into the building. Doubt it will be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by expose05
    Alot of non newyorkers and outsiders still have the perception and idea of old harlem of late 1980's and early 1990's. Harlem is going through a rebirth and the crime stats are alot lower compared to the 1990's. Plus the brownstones are very beautiful.
    A lot of outsiders still have the perception and idea of old New York City of 1970's and 1980's.. New York City is reborn and crime stats are lowest it has been in the last 50 years...

BUt when it comes to safety margins, Harlem is still one of the unsafe areas when compared to many other neighborhoods in the city...

Is it safer?.. most definitely... Is it safest?... No way in hell..

Wonderful! Ugh My car is sounding pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee
    Wonderful! Ugh My car is sounding pretty good.
    A car in the city is never a good idea for a student. I donít know why you would want a car in the city to ease your trepidation, if anything it would be more symbolic of security than it being an actuality. Parking is never easy to come by in anyplace in Manhattan. Driving home from classes late at night, you would feel more safe looking for a parking space and having to settle for one many blocks from your house in an area perhaps dangerous and unknown to you, instead of walking three blocks from the subway station at 135th and St. Nicholas, which is a major, well lit Avenue? Looking for a parking space in and around the culdesacs of housing projects, where you will be forced to look, is asking for trouble. I have no problem walking around Harlem, but I always feel some amount of trepidation when Iím forced to walk by projects, where there are no lights and no storefronts, and plenty of places for some one to jump out and mug you.

Your fear of Harlem is somewhat self-inflicted and it sounds like with your current attitude it will spur a vicious cycle. If you act smartly and act with confidence and treat people as they are you will have no problems. If you walk around miserable and afraid people will pick up on this and the criminals which exist in Harlem as they do in most every neighborhood will prey on you as a victim which you would warrant.

Hopefully you can adjust to Harlem and vanquish your fears and prejudices and just live your life, fear free. Harlem is by no means a death sentence like you're making it out to be, its a neighborhood like anyother only with a demographic largely non-white. There are many students living in Harlem as it still is a cheap alternative, just follow their example and you'll be fine. That said its not the only neighborhood with a significant student population, perhaps an APT. in Queens or Brooklyn would be a better solution for you.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast