Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New York City vs. Chicago

Wrigleyville is a favorite are of mind. And although it has become kindof cliche, I also like Lincoln Park

i have lived there and people do not walk in Chicago. Either they drive or take a bus . The train lines are sparse. Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville are closestin resemblance to Brooklyn areas. There is hardly anything compared to much of Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    ASchwartz--
    Having never lived in Chicago, my characterizations about the place are always going to be off.
    Google Street View only gives me pretty pictures, not the feel of the place, so firsthand experiences from someone who has been there will be welcomed and could enable me to form a more precise vision of Chicago. The more I learn about Chicago the richer my visit will be.
    After my visit there I'll try and get to Hoboken, to check out your characterization...
    Be sure to have a cocktail or two at the Signature Room Lounge on the 96th floor of John Hancock Center. I never made it to Windows on the World, but I like to imagine that it was a similar experience. The Signature Room is a nice place from which to view the rest of the city.

http://www.signatureroom.com/Signature-Lounge/

Also, is it a sin to like both Chicago and NYC? Even if I prefer NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by lesterp4 View Post
    i have lived there and people do not walk in Chicago. Either they drive or take a bus . The train lines are sparse. Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville are closestin resemblance to Brooklyn areas. There is hardly anything compared to much of Manhattan.
    I haven't lived there but I have spent a lot of time there. My wife is from Chicago and we get back their to visit friends and family often. I agree that neither location is like Manhattan, but I would not say they are like Brooklyn either. Not sure you can classify them in "NY relative terms". The other thing is that Chicago in the summer is much different than than Chicago in the winter, and not just in terms of weather.

@ Hovering ... I agree you can like both. When we were dating the first time I visited Chicago my now wife took me to the Signature Room. We had a great evening.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Wrigleyville is a favorite are of mind. And although it has become kindof cliche, I also like Lincoln Park
    Nothing wrong with Lincoln Park, I'm not ashamed to say it!

http://yardsalechat.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    @ Hovering ... I agree you can like both. When we were dating the first time I visited Chicago my now wife took me to the Signature Room. We had a great evening.
    That is quite awesome. A very belated congratulations, I'm sure.

I know quite a bit about both of these cities. I agree on several things people have said, and disagree on others.

1) Chicago is definitely the Midwest, this will be a cultural difference from the East Coast certainly. I am originally not from either so I pick up on the obvious differences and everything that comes along with it.

2) NYC is far more international and diverse, and is far less car centric. Although you can certainly live in Chicago without a car, this is not how most people live, and it's only done in specific areas primarily on the North Side with little pockets on the south and west.

3) NYC winter is MUCH milder, the average low in January in NYC is 13 degrees higher than the low in Chicago, NYC also never gets the drastic swings which Chicago gets, Chicago averages up to 3 weeks a year of below zero days where the wind chill can get to -50. The winter is much more prolonged, often with snow flurries starting in mid October, and going through the end of April. Nov-April expect nightly lows around freezing or below, Dec-Feb lows on average are sub 20 degrees with wind chills normally in the single digits. Even near the end of May, Chicago can still have daytime highs in the 40s. Chicago also gets about 1/3 less sunshine.

4) NYC is 3x larger than Chicago, much much bigger, with almost 6x the skyscrapers.

5) There is actual decent nature around NYC, around Chicago is relatively nothing significant, miles and miles of prairies and corn fields.

6) NYC definitely costs more, but there is a big reason for that.

7) The cultural scene in Chicago pale in comparison to NYC, Chicago is better compared to Boston, DC, or SF in terms of culture and amenity offerings, definitely not NYC.

That's about it for now, but I mainly wanted to address the winters and public transit differences.

Honestly areas of San Francisco remind me more of NYC than Chicago does, it also feels more international than Chicago (and is)
    Last edited by misterpickles; August 5th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

^ Good post. In terms of seasons, while winters in Chicago are far harsher than those in NYC, it should be noted that (this year not withstanding) summers in Chicago tend to be milder and less humid than NYC summers. Also, I am not sure I agree that NYC gets 1/3 more sunlight than Chicago, or if it is true it is at least surprising to me as my perception is much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    I have become a big fan of the city and I'm planning to fly up there-- next Spring, after it thaws out-- and see for myself what I have been learning about the place.
    I've been to Chicago exactly twice, once just passing through, and once (I was about 9 years old) when my Aunt took me to Navy Pier and a Cubs game, so I have zero firsthand knowledge about the city. That means it is ripe for exploration.
    Hof, I am wondering if you ever made it to Chicago, and if weather or not the city met your expectations. I would love to know where you visted.

Both perception about the weather of the two cities (sunlight and humidity) are wrong.

Chicago actually measures more sunlight, but also more humidity, than New York City. The differences are only in numbers; subjectively they are almost the same. You would notice that New York City is much less humid than Chicago in the spring.

Unless the city is in a climate pattern like the Northwest, sunlight is mostly influenced by latitude. Chicago and New York City are both at about 40 degrees.

Both cities get warm humid air pumped at them in summer - either from the Gulf up the midwest plains, or from the Caribbean up the Atlantic coast.

The "Windy City" is really just average in windy-ness, about 1 mph windier than New York City. One of the windiest cities in the US is Boston, but I suspect this has more to do with population than geography.

Regarding the comment on humidity, I wonder if this holds true in the summer. Maybe it is perception, but mine is that NYC summers are imminently more humid than those of Chicago.

EDIT:

After further researching, I was surprised to learn that NYC is slightly less humid than Chicago in all months of the year including summer
    http://www.cityrating.com/relativehumidity.asp (click on individual cities to view month over month humidity levels)
    Last edited by eddhead; August 8th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

We get the ocean breezes.

its very true about the sunlight due to the ocean climate.

another trivia that has nothing to do with chicago really but nyc is well know to artists and photographers for its silvery light effect.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234