Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City vs. Chicago

Default New York City vs. Chicago

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to just gain some knowledge. I have been to NYC (only once so far) and hope to move there in 3 years when I graduate from college. My friend is transfering to a school in Chicago and goes on and on about how great it is, but he's never been to NYC. However, I've never been to Chicago.

I thought I would get more "expert" opinions about the pros and cons of the two and how they match up. Even though this is a NYC board, hopefully people knowledgeable about Chicago will respond too.

Thanks.
    Last edited by LonelyRoad; June 2nd, 2006 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyRoad
    Hi all,

I'm starting this tread to just gain some knowledge. I have been to NYC (only once so far) and hope to move there in 3 years when I graduate from college. My friend is transfering to a school in Chicago and goes on and on about how great it is, but he's never been to NYC. However, I've never been to Chicago.

I thought I would get more "expert" opinions about the pros and cons of the two and how they match up. Even though this is a NYC board, hopefully people knowledgeable about Chicago will respond too.

Thanks.
    One thing that is definitely bad about Chicago is its long, cold winters.

And the flatness. And the fact that it's less historic. And that it lacks New York's heroic density and scale, which extends (in Manhattan) far from the business centres. And lack of much to see or do in the immediate vicinity of the city comparable to what's on the East Coast.

I have lived in both cities and still have family in Chicago. There is really little comparison. Except for the strip along Michigan ave. and Lake Shore Drive Chicago is more like Brooklyn than Manhattan. The tall buildings are in a very narrow strip several blocks wide and about 10 blocks long. No comparison to the breadth of Manhattan. I have always felt Chicago to be a big small town as opposed to a big international city (NYC) with an international population. Tall buildings alone do not make a truly urban city.

I have grown up in NY, but did spend couple months in a row in Chicago this past year.

I really like Chicago overall, and it would be my 2nd choice of place to live. When I was there I almost packed up and moved there, too bad my family and friends are all in NY.

I liked areas such as Wrigglyville and Lincoln Park in Chicago. River North and Gold Coast (area by Michigan Ave and Lakeshore Dri) were very similar to Midtown. Overall I just had a better time going out in Chicago, things were cheaper and my money goes a lot further for a lifestyle VERY VERY simliar to NY! When I was there I met alot of people who left NY for chicago and all had the same feeling as me:

people were nicer in Chicago
    better value even though things like cabs/restauarnts are comparable to NYC
    things are a not as rush/hussle as nyc

One thing thought this winter was beautiful in Chicago, it was actually worse in NY this year. But I have heard some horry stories of winter in chicago.

With all that said.. what I would do is look where there is a better market for your degree.

If you have a career that entails domestic travel chicago is great since it is almost the center of USA.

Both are great cities and have their positivies over the other, so find another major factor to help you decide.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool

It's been 30 years since I lived in Chicago. I've heard from others that with global warming, winters are not as severe as they used to be. Chicago is always a great deal of fun in the summer.

Default NYC vs Chicago

We just branched out to Chicago with our nycsportingnews.com website. We launched chicagosportingnews.com because we felt that it was the logical place to go next. I was there a few months ago for the first time and will be there many more times during the summer.

I found it to be a nice place but I didn't venture too far away from the hotel. I did go to a restaurant that looked like a high class NYC restaurant but the prices were GREAT! and the food was very good as well.

I'm a lifelong New Yorker and cannot imagine anyplace being better. (Just less expensive)

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    I've heard from others that with global warming, winters are not as severe as they used to be.
    Yeah, it will now go down to -12 degrees instead of -15 degrees.

Banned Member

I feel that Chicago is very much an "American" city and one of the finest ones at that. New York, on the other hand, is much more of an international city.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I feel that Chicago is very much an "American" city and one of the finest ones at that. New York, on the other hand, is much more of an international city.
    Yea NY is definitly much more of an international city. I actually wanted to start a forum about a city I have been to, and Chicago and NYC were the two that I have been to the most and were most knowledgable about. But I decided to go with NYC. I have been thinking of doing a forum about either Chicago or Miami next but I need to get my site http://LocalApple.com established first.
    Because I grew up in NYC, I felt that when I first went to Chicago it was almost a replica of NYC but that is just a matter of my opinion. Both are generally really nice cities!

I've lived in Chicago for 4+ years now and I absolutely adore it. I've never lived in NYC so I can't effectively compare, but Chicago is beautiful, fun and has all the excitement of a big city (great dining, shopping, nightlife, cultural attractions, etc.) but its still Midwestern so it's still family values. I work in the tourism industry in Chicago and it took very little time to turn me into a cheerleader for this city. The summer is amazing, hanging out on Oak Street beach or eating in outdoor cafes, plus shopping on Michigan Ave or (my preference) State Street. Grant Park is gorgeous in the summer. I have a lake view from my apartment and it's to die for. It's got its fair share of diversity too with great neighborhoods like Devon Street and it's own Greektown, Little Italy and Chinatown (kind of a dodgy area). I live in South Loop which is in my opinion the best area (but I am biased).

Culturally there's a ton - the museums are fabulous (I worked for one of them for 3 years), theater is really top-notch, and there's constantly free music concerts all over downtown. In the summer there's Summerdance, a free series of 1-hour dance lessons followed by open dancing in an outdoor setting, right in Grant Park. It's amazing! There's ballroom, salsa, congolese, and all kinds of dancing on different nights (even bhangra!).

Winters are rough, no doubt, but I don't find them that different from NYC (which I've visited in January every year for the past 4 years) or Washington, D.C. (where I lived for 2 years) or Michigan (where I grew up). The lake effect makes it quite windy, but its pretty much cold everywhere in the midwest or northeast in the winter.

Oh yeah, and the EL is fairly clean, safe and easy to navigate (D.C. has by far the best subway system ever though - it's totally clean and VERY simple to learn).

This post is by no means to make any statement about NY btw, just my opinion of Chicago. I love it - it's my kind of town.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by amaluu729
    Winters are rough, no doubt, but I don't find them that different from NYC (which I've visited in January every year for the past 4 years) or Washington, D.C. (where I lived for 2 years) or Michigan (where I grew up). The lake effect makes it quite windy, but its pretty much cold everywhere in the midwest or northeast in the winter.
    Winter is much, much milder in NYC. It's cold in January and February for sure, but November, (early) December and March are rarely below freezing, so to my great lakes-raised senses there's about half as much winter (off set by as much more excessive heat in the summer).

You thought DC had the same winter as Michigan?!?

I really did, Ryan ... see I'm freezing everywhere - I'm always cold. I'm cold right now cause the A/C is too high in my office, but its 80 some degrees outside. So anyway, yeah - I was in D.C. from 95-97, and the winters I experienced were more or less the same as the winters I experienced in Metro Detroit & Ann Arbor, MI. Chicago is probably a BIT colder, cause of lake effect, but not so much so. Pretty much I hate being cold anywhere.

Maybe NY is much milder - it makes sense because of all the people and the heat of a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by amaluu729
    I've lived in Chicago for 4+ years now and I absolutely adore it. I've never lived in NYC so I can't effectively compare, but Chicago is beautiful, fun and has all the excitement of a big city (great dining, shopping, nightlife, cultural attractions, etc.) but its still Midwestern so it's still family values.
    I am just curious to know what you mean by "family values"? You mean, more conservative socially? Or, that they go to church on Sunday? I guess in Chicago "family values" means something extremely positive. I have never livied in Chicago. But in New York, we have a surprising number of families living here

I'm curious too about what "family values" midwesterners have that we apparently lack in the northeast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast