Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbus Square - 808 Columbus Avenue between West 97th & 100th - by Costas Kondylis

But that see-through sidewalk is an interesting touch

^ Right-oh. They should save themselves the money and move those two underground floors up above. Then we won't have what looks like a 1920s auto dealership done up in modern Toyota corporate architecture in the middle of one of the most dense cities in the world.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The city should just allow them to build another tower on top of the other end of the block-long one-story base.
    The amount of dumb designs we see in this city is just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    The city should just allow them to build another tower on top of the other end of the block-long one-story base.
    The amount of dumb designs we see in this city is just unbelievable.
    Yeah. The space sould have been used much more efficently. when do they plan to start demolish?

29-story tower planned at 808 Columbus Avenue

12-JUN-06

A 29-story residential tower and a low-rise base with 220,000 square feet of retail space is planned at 808 Columbus Avenue on the Upper West Side by PWV Acquisitions, the owners of the large Park West Village rental complex between 97th and 100th Streets, Central Park West and Columbus Avenue, that surrounds the site.

Several stores on Amsterdam and Columbus Avenue have recently been closed in and around Park West Village, which was bought by Joseph Chetrit of the Chetrit Group and Laurence Gluck of Stellar Management, from Helmsley-Spear Inc., in 2000 for about $122 million.

Martin J. McLaughlin, a spokesman for The Chetrit Group, has told CityRealty.Com that no change contemplated for the residential buildings in the complex.

Park West Village, a large “towers-in-a-park” development, was erected in 1961 along Central Park West between 97th and 100th Streets and designed by S. J. Kessler & Sons. It has 7, red-brick, balconied, slab towers and four of them are condominiums and three are rentals.

The proposed retail space at 808 Columbus Avenue will have 60,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, a 80,000-square feet basement and a 80,000-square foot second story, according to an article by Elisabeth Butler in the May 17, 2006 edition of Crains.

According to an article by Alex Mindlin in the June 11, 2006 edition of The New York Times, the apartment tower, which is on the west side of Columbus Avenue, is expected to be completed in 2008 and it will be “13 stories taller than its immediate neighbors and will cut off the bottom of Park West Village’s ‘U,’ filling some open space and funneling residents bound for Columbus Avenue through two covered walkways.”

Costas Kondylis & Partners are the architects for the planned tower and retail complex.

Extell Development is erecting two high-rise apartment towers across from one another on Broadway between 99th and 100th Streets and as a result a taskforce of Community Board 7 has recommended rezoning parts of the Upper West Side above 96th Street to limit building heights.

The proposed rezoning reflects concerns in the community about a number of “soft” sites, that is, sites current built to less than half the permissible bulk, on Broadway north of 106th Street and elsewhere in the community.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY

The Dude Abides

Just when you thought Costas had reached his nadir and was starting to improve, now he unleashes this...

Does the Met have a working guillotine in its collection? Because I could think of few things more appropriate than launching Costas up into the air so that he can look down on one of his crap buildings in his final seconds before he splatters on it.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That's just a sign of mediocrity.
    He is sometimes good, sometimes bad, but mostly mediocre.

Does anyone know about 25 firefighters were called to the site of 760 Columbus (currently under demolition, or at least heavy construction -- as previously mentioned, without a permit; the future site of one of the one-story retail shops indicated in the rendering) on 6/27 at about 3 in the afternoon? Three big firetrucks came down with sirens on (as I overlooked the entire event from the building next door). About 25 firefighters in full uniform climbed onto the roof (via truck ladder) as two began drilling off parts of the ceiling, then others began hammering away removing some of its pieces, revealing the interior of the building (which must now be flooded given yesterday's rain). They spent a good two hours up there, drilling away at various parts.

If nobody knows, I'll head over to the local firehouse to try to find out. Very odd.

Forum Veteran

The buildings on Amsterdam at 99th St. or so are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek View Post
    The buildings on Amsterdam at 99th St. or so are gone.
    What exactly are they going to build there. I can see the site right outside my window. Lately they've just been dumping dirt there.

Arrow photo op

Quote Originally Posted by Thethinkingman View Post
    What exactly are they going to build there. I can see the site right outside my window. Lately they've just been dumping dirt there.
    I walked by there today........just a lot of excavation work in progress. I do no know the plans are for this site. Mabe this is what will be built.

Being that this site is "right outside your window" this will be a great oportunity for some ON-Site photos.
    Last edited by infoshare; January 3rd, 2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I walked by there today........just a lot of excavation work in progress. I do no know the plans are for this site. Mabe this is what will be built.

Being that this site is "right outside your window" this will be a great oportunity for some ON-Site photos.
    Well that's actually a bit further away. I'm looking down at Amsterdam. I should still be able to see 808 popping up at some point because there is a building that is blocking my view of the site from my window. Don't wory about the pics though, I'll make sure to keep people updated

Ok, here are the pics I took today of the sites.

100- ~99th and Amsterdam

Where 808 Columbus will rise

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast