Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Columbus Square - 808 Columbus Avenue between West 97th & 100th - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Our developers and architects aren't inherently evil.
    ^^^ Just witless.

All built out realities of the zoning envelope. I wonder if we didnt have these rules, would we get better buildings? I'd say yes. No other 1st class city builds such banal buildings in their prime areas. There must be something wrong with the rules. Our developers and architects aren't inherently evil.
    Again I ask: why is it Battery Park City very succesfully re-created parts of the Upper West Side yet it's not being done here? A common cornice-line and set back towers is not wrong... it's the ugly execution. BPC had/has a strict zoning envelope and design guide-lines ...and it works.

---
    Last edited by Fabrizio; July 12th, 2007 at 03:49 AM.

All built out realities of the zoning envelope. I wonder if we didnt have these rules, would we get better buildings? I'd say yes. No other 1st class city builds such banal buildings in their prime areas. There must be something wrong with the rules. Our developers and architects aren't inherently evil.
    Stupid rules make stupid buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    That's a very 'meh' design. The excavation is going well, I'll see if I can get pics later. It'll be kinda fun actually seeing a building rise from my apartment808 is just about done with excavating I think (at least that is what I've seen when I pass by.

^ boy is that a breath of fresh air.

Seems there's been a setback for 808 Columbus Ave. One of the walls has collapsed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=5511780

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy

Uh-oh!

Thumbs down Wall Collapse

Quote Originally Posted by Thethinkingman View Post
    The excavation is going well.......
    What a difference a day makes!

Yeah, that's too bad. They'd gotten far along the excavating process.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Is that because of shoddy construction work or something?

Doesn't anyone else think that we should have corrected the previous mistake of creating this super block and at least not develop the lots on the avenue that could in the future allow for the restoration of the former streets? The space could temporarily be used as outdoor cafes or something unique until the rest of the red slabs are torn down.
    Last edited by NYCDOC; August 26th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Default 808 columbus stop work rescinded

There's a notice on the building that the stop work order was rescinded on 8/31. It looks to me like the foundation is built and they've basically fixed the collapse when i went by it.

I'm still confused about 775/795/805 columbus (across the street). There are new building permits, but it doesn't actually look to me like they've laid foundations, so I would think that means they can't build anymore because of the rezoning. Hopefully they build something there though - its gonna be bad for 808 columbus if there's a giant pit across the street indefinitely.

Default also, is the 801 Amsterdam becoming a building?

There's a shed, and it seems like they are digging a foundation, but not completed yet. Here's hoping the rezoning doesn't cause a giant pit to be left there. Otherwise, we'll have Lake Related North.

Default ok, I think I figured it out - the other buildings are short enough ???

OK, so here's my guess. The other buildings besides 808 Columbus might conform to new zoning. I don't see how, especially 801 columbus since its not on an avenue. I'm actually guessing a bit, as I'm not a lawyer.

But I'm really hoping all the buildings go forward.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast