Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 785 Eighth Avenue - 40-story Condo - Theater District - by Ismael Leyva Architects

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime / city realty
    New condo tower in Theater District

... Records on file with the city indicate that the project has an air rights easement from Letterbeg Restaurant Inc...
    DOB records show that corporate ownership of Letterbeg Restaurant lists two addresses:

(1) 783 8th Ave.

(2) 944 8th Ave.

A recent DOB APPLICATION for 783 8th Ave. shows:

Owner:
    CORPORATION
    MCGEE, DOUGLAS PRESIDENT
    LETTERBEG RESTAURANT INC.
    944 EIGHTH AVENUE
    A recent DOB APPLICATION for 944 8th Ave. shows:

Owner:
    CORPORATION
    MCGEE, DOUGLAS PRESIDENT
    NEW RIDGE REALTY CORP.
    26 GLENBY LANE
    BROOKVILLE NY 10505

More information on Ismael Leyva's website.
    http://www.ilarch.com/projects/ontheboards.html

Considering the diagonal property line running along the North side of this site it seems that the most interesting perspective would be to see how it will look viewing it from the NE.

The building from the SE:

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    That tower is freakish ...oddball.... desperate looking. Considering the space limitations, it looks like the architect did "the best he could"..... the way surgeons do after a bad accident.

Whatīs the point of this building? The residents will have their views blocked-in, in a big way, soon enough.

Letīs hope something nice goes up, right along side it.
    Looking at your posts, you don't seem to like any of the new buildings. If you look at the link he gave to this architect's site, they have a record of amazing designs - from Time Warner Center to Toscana on Upper East Side. This building is no excpetion - it's simply beautiful. You have to remember that they are working around many ridiculous regulations (like zoning, that is uniquely New York rule).

The Dude Abides

Time Warner Center was a David Childs/SOM project. Ismael Levya only did the interiors for the apartments. That said, they do have a record of better-than-average residential tower designs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice
    You have to remember that they are working around many ridiculous regulations (like zoning, that is uniquely New York rule).
    How do zoning regs make the design of this building a problem?

They are building tall and maxing out the foot-print of the lot on the south / east / north (the diagonal) property lines.

It seems the limitations are due to the size of the lot and very little else (unless you think the developer should go 60 / 80 /100 stories on what is basically a 24' wide lot)

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Relax guys, MrSpice is a self-professed, non-development junkie like the rest of us and isn't familiar with the technical stuff.

He's only offering his opinion on the appearance of the building, which I actually find refreshing because of his untainted or unbias mindset.

That's why I have asked before on what he thinks of how a building looks to him because I know that is probably what the average, non-follower of development/construction, New Yorker feels.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Relax guys, MrSpice is a self-professed, non-development junkie like the rest of us and isn't familiar with the technical stuff.

He's only offering his opinion on the appearance of the building, which I actually find refreshing because of his untainted or unbias mindset.

That's why I have asked before on what he thinks of how a building looks to him because I know that is probably what the average, non-follower of development/construction, New Yorker feels.
    This city is full of non-followers As long as buildings look good to the most of us, we're in good shape. The buildings are built for the crowd, not for the elite few that can provide 50 arguments why something can be done/built better.

Just snooping around, applications for this new building were submitted June 23rd. We have a height figure....a quite impressive 566 feet. At first I didn't care for the look of this building, and I still would like it more if it was on the corner rather than surrounded by utter crap, but I'll be excited to see this one rise.

Yesterday, I saw scafolding on the one building where this one is suppose to go. This one might get built after all.

I just hope that the north part of the building is not a blank wall though. You know like 325 Fifth Avenue.

This one has all glass / windows up the entire south facade, BUT ...

The hideous red + yellow mid-block building along with the former Bennigan's site will be cleared and something big will go up there -- just a couple of lots down from the Levya porposed tower. That construction will render those views fairly worthless.

I'm sure they want to get his one up and sold before work starts on the neighbor to the south.

^ You know what I doubt it... Yesterday I also saw that the Bennigan's site had a sign that it was offering long term leasing on the site.

This led me to believe that this new 785 eight avenue tower had bought all air rights from all the adjacent buildings to built that high. hopefully I am wrong, since I want that tourist bus tour hideous building to just dissapear aswell.

Not sure that the 785 tower needs additional air rights to go this tall (based on earlier calculatons for the current lot size and rights from the building already attained from 783).

Sad that Bennigans / Red + Yellow monstrosity aren't coming down Pronto

The 8th Avenue building on this site has started to be demolished. Top floor of 3 floors is gone. The portion around the corner on 48th St. has scaffolding up, but demolition has not yet started there.

Thanks for the update! I have my fingers cross to see this one go up!

Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast