Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 785 Eighth Avenue - 40-story Condo - Theater District - by Ismael Leyva Architects

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This is one of the worst blocks in Manhattan. That Burger King/ NY Tours building makes me particularly naseous. Sadly, the Irish pub that was razed across the street from here was a nice building. It's gone, yet this monstrosity is still standing. Given the sore need for hotels and rentals, I hope that this whole block is included in the project planned for that tiny site in the middle.

^ That photo looks weird. Like it is not real. Like looking at a minature made up skyline. Cool.

I went past this site today and there were cement trucks pouring cement behind the barricades. Could they have dug a foundation this fast? Last week there was still a tree on this land and no activity.

They got a Permit on 9.27 for:
    Filing herewith for underpinning / shoring for the excavation of a new residential building.
    Probably the concrete was to stabilize the buildings next door -- after that the real excavation will begin.

Here's the link to DOB Application (I notice that these DOB links go haywire after 'x" amount of time and when you click them they take you to an entire different building -- anybody know aht would casue that???)

The tree is gone and they've dug out about 4/5 of the lot --- they're down about 12 - 15 feet below the street level on the 8th Avenue side.

Is the entire space just that little empty lot in the picture above?? If so, talk about a sliver, that thing is small enough to be a sliver in my foot.

I am not too sure... but I have notice that the lot raps around that building on the north corner. So there is another lot facing on 48th street.

The lot actually follows the diagonal of the south wall ^^^ of the building just to the north at the corner of 8th Ave. & 48th ... and does NOT include the building in the upper left corner of the photo as demarcated in the shot above.

The west wall of the building to the north is literally 8.4' in length!

The frontage on 48th is 16'.

The Lot is "T" shaped ( see HERE )

Yep -- This one will definitely be a sliver --

Per DOB : 23.7' wide on 8th Ave, 566' TALL

At 785 8th Ave. the Height / Width = 23.88 !!!

F***dom Tower: H (1776) / W (200) = 8.88

Latest filing at DOB for "New Building" here was DISAPPROVED on 10.03.06.

I wonder if this building is continually being disapproved because of concerns over its structural integrity.

It's probably just some technicality. Architects and engineers are being paid to know and design according to code. Most completed new buildings have gotten disapproved permits before their construction started, so I take disapprovals with a grain of salt.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I wonder if this building is continually being disapproved because of concerns over its structural integrity.
    Well, if that's the case, then the city should allow them to build additional slivers next to it, so they can "lean" on each other for support.

Anyway, I agree with Derek, probably just a few minor technical issues. Wouldn't be surprise if it's just filing some more paperwork.

I really hope that this does not get built. If it does, the horrible building just to the north will never be redeveloped. Moreover, the developer may have purchased the air rights for the whole block, and we will be stuck with this miserable block foreover.

It seems that they've grabbed the air rights to the building just to the south (the "Latitude" building @ 783 8th Ave.) -- and possibly the one you hate on the corner.

They've yet to publish an image of the north facade of this building.

Methinks that if your hated wedge-shaped building on the corner had some restoration work that it could be perfectly fine.

IMO for this area it's better to have low rise buildings on the corners when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Methinks that if your hated wedge-shaped building on the corner had some restoration work that it could be perfectly fine....
    I agree with you. The sad reality, however, is that no one is going to spend money to restore the building on the north corner.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Don't be silly.
    Let's get this one built first, then worry about the other eyesores later.

Those can be redeveloped (or fixed up) you know, maybe not much taller than they are now but can be redeveloped nevertheless.

Build it, I say.

Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast