Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: 785 Eighth Avenue - 40-story Condo - Theater District - by Ismael Leyva Architects

Any recent updates or photos? I'm especially curious as to the treatment the top "triangle" section is getting.

- bill

I was around 8th Avenue this afternoon. The building's cladding is nearly complete. All the floors appear to have been cladded with just the triangular portion remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
    I was around 8th Avenue this afternoon. The building's cladding is nearly complete. All the floors appear to have been cladded with just the triangular portion remaining.
    Sheesh, is this going to become another BofA, what is it with them not finishing the crowns?

How is the cladding now?
    Is there anybody around that block taking pics today???

Terrible day for taking pictures.

What happened to all the Irish Investors who supposedly bought all the units in this building way back when it was a hole in the ground?

An article on the building from November 2008:

Completion Nears On NYCs Skinniest Tower

skyscrapernews.com

Nearing completion in New York City is what will be one of the thinnest towers ever built on the planet called 785 Eighth Avenue after the address it's situated on.

Standing on the south western corner of Eighth Avenue and West 48th Street in the heart of Manhattan, the building is 172.6 metres high with 42 floors above ground. What makes it extraordinary though isn't the height but rather the frontage on West 48th Street of a tiny 5.08 metres, whilst Eighth Avenue is barely bigger with a mere 7 metres.

This gives the building a height to width ratio at its narrowest of 33.98 to 1 compared to an 11 to 1 for 1 King West in Toronto. Everything about the dimensions scream anorexic - even the maximum width of the T-shaped site is only 7.18 metres.

Designed by Ismael Lavya Architects, they have really pushed the envelope in what is accepted for a tall building when it comes to the available dimensions, with the towers asymmetrical shape taking advantage of the air-rights next door and allowing it to expand out slightly over its neighbours.

Being more the sizes of studios than sprawling lofts, they may not have massive internal space but the fit-out of the apartments is relatively luxurious nonetheless.

With higher than average floor to ceiling heights, full height glass thanks to the glass curtain walls that sheath the tower, wooden floors, and marble stone finishes throughout the specification. Balconies feature on the edges of the tower, something of a rarity for New York's residential skyscrapers.

For those able to afford the penthouses in the 39th and 40th floors the sloping summit of the skyscraper means they will be able to enjoy the rooftop which will feature a large terrace, and even an outdoor hot-tub so the occupants can comfortably bubble away whilst taking in the Big Apple's skyline.

Now nearing completion, residents will be moving in during the first half of 2009.

Last weekend I saw they had started on the triangle on top. There was a glare from my perspective, so I can't say how the glass looked, but it's started.

I wonder if the slenderness of the tower will ever be an issue with wind?

^^^ Nearly complete.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
    ^^^ Nearly complete.
    And is it nice? Some pictures?

They've dotted the "i" ...

785 eighth

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Oh shoot. I would have liked to see them leave that hole open, ala Shanghai's WFC:

At first, I thought the circle vent was a dust spot on Lofter's lens (it really looks like one on his last shot), but now I find it looks like some '80s Memphis Group joke. It trivializes the hard, chiseled modernism here much in same way the "HI" does to 2 Columbus Circle.

Great visual update. The tower has always been fascinating.

and the north side? is the concrete still there???