Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1216

Thread: 785 Eighth Avenue - 40-story Condo - Theater District - by Ismael Leyva Architects

Forum Veteran

To be fair, that massive concrete wall is necessary for structural reasons in such a narrow building. But it certainly could have been clad in something more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek View Post
    To be fair, that massive concrete wall is necessary for structural reasons in such a narrow building. But it certainly could have been clad in something more interesting.
    I always thought brushed stainless steel would look cool, while keeping the horizontal lines marking the floors? Perhaps vertically-brushed panels between floors, and horizontal brushed steel on the floor plates - which are currently painted dark. That would be maintenance-free - unlike the painted surface, which will need attention every several years.

They could have done it structurally as a steel truss, and worked windows into it. But that would have been more expensive.

And it just sits there empty. What a waste of land.

I would like to see how close to completion the units are inside. There must be lots of angry people out there whos deposits are locked up in litigation.

Don't think they ever sold any as single units. An Irish syndicate bought up a whole chunk of units. Seems the rest were ever put on the market. Must be stuck in bankruptcy limbo. The website & webpages mentioned in the linked Curbed article are all dead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0713.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	14803

"I would like to see how close to completion the units are inside."
    I saw several units in late August, 2009, when they were still on the market. Everything I saw looked essentially complete. Not a thing was going on as of a few days ago when I went by. See the bottom of this link:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9353&page=72
    Last edited by bill schintler; January 25th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

This is a partially blank wall, but they clad it in reflective glass to make it look like windows.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.661368...9.73,,0,-45.77

this may be a bit off topic. long before plans for 785 were made and even before Worldwide Plaza was built, did this block that 785 is on (47th 48th streets) have a lot of prostitution and trouble makers? I remember a Ray's Pizza and a lighting store but would you also see a lot of addicts, drunks, loiterers around? what was the block like after the theaters closed? i'm real curious

It was just as you described. Very sketchy stretch. Especially '75 to '90.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It was just as you described. Very sketchy stretch. Especially '75 to '90.

I remember that block when I first went to NYC in 1983 (I was 19). I was asked if I wanted to buy by the hour any teenage midwestern farm girls, any fake ID's. and had a knife pulled on me just as I was entering my hotel lobby. That was the first night and my first in the City. It has changed just a little since that time

Of course, I was still enthralled with NYC and have been back more times than I can count.

were you staying at that little hotel (765 8th Ave between 46th and 47th) that is now the NY Inn?

right across from 785 on the next block i remember a red colored tenement with the windows all boarded up it was eventually destroyed to build the Biltmore Condo Tower but i remember back decades ago there was always a bad element hanging around that structure. I don't know if there was some kind of shelter or clinic in there but there were always people who looked like they were addicts or alcoholics over there

I always wondered how that hotel at 790 (between 48th and 49th) managed to survive in this area. It was a Ramada Inn then a Days Inn then it became a Hilton Garden Inn. When it was a Ramada was it just a glorified fleabag hotel or was it actually a decent place?

maybe you were staying at The Sherman Hotel (which is now an Econolodge) at 302 W 47th street which was a notorious fleabag hotel

I just can't get over over how bland 8th Avenue has become, even the few X rated video stores look bland and in no way look like the X rated bookstores that were there decades ago

I don't know if there was some kind of shelter or clinic in there but there were always people who looked like they were addicts or alcoholics over there
    There were indeed a few methadone clinics in the area.