Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Neighborhoods to avoid???

Default Bad Neighborhoods to avoid???

Whats are the bad neighborhoods/areas to avoid in NYC. I'm talking about the places where if you walk through, you might get mugged. I know North Manhattan (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights) are supposed to be pretty bad...so what are they in the other 4 boroughs???

Forum Veteran

You sound racist to me

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike9110
    Whats are the bad neighborhoods/areas to avoid in NYC. I'm talking about the places where if you walk through, you might get mugged. I know North Manhattan (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights) are supposed to be pretty bad...so what are they in the other 4 boroughs???
    East New York, parts of Flatbush and Crown Heights in Brooklyn
    Jamaica in Queens
    South Bronx. Many areas in the Bronx are not very safe at night (much safer than a few years ago, but still not very safe).

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    You sound racist to me
    Is anyone who is concerned with his/her safety a racist? I think what you're saying smeel like unreasonable political correctness. All of us living in the city know that some neighborhoods are safer than others. That's just the truth.

Forum Veteran

true, but if your not from here, and the first thing you ask is what safe or not, thats just wrong, come here and see for yourself, dont judge people and areas just on the race they may or may not be.

Maybe Kliq6 is talking about the post where IronMike said that he didn't want to live with any blacks or Chinese, only "Italian-Americans."

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Maybe Kliq6 is talking about the post where IronMike said that he didn't want to live with any blacks or Chinese, only "Italian-Americans."
    Then why drag that into a thread that had nothing to do with the other?

He did not call out any races in his question, and that should be avoided in the answers as well.

Maybe the mods should sanitize this thread a bit.
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; May 22nd, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

Forum Veteran

Inwood seems ok to me.

Madison Ave. in the high 30's and into the 40s -- lots of lawyers around there, so watch your wallet

I never mentioned race in this thread...Yea, a couple months ago i made the thread about italian americans but thats because i always wanted to live around other italians because i mainly lived with german and irish my whole life i thought it would be cool to live with people of the same heritage. I can care less what color or nationality you are, dont mean **** to me, and if it did i dont think i would want to move to NYC. Example of how i can care less, I just switched from a 90% white gym that to about a 65% black gym with some whites,mexicans and all other races mixed along with it. I will never go back to the other gym,i love this new gym, and guess what, the equipment isnt half as good as the old gym, but the people in the new are cool as hell and their all different races.

---

All i wanted to know was what areas where unsafe, so anyways, someone said most of the Bronx is bad?? What would be the good neighborhoods then??? And would you reccomend moving to Brooklyn instead if im going to be college student and fresh in the city, or do you think ill be fine in the Bronx? thanks.

Forum Veteran

Madison Avenue can be avoided in it's entirety. But that's my own wishful thinking...

Default big city

I think that every big city can be "unsafe"!
    And I agree with Lofter... your wallet can be in danger if your neighboords are lawyers!!! Oh God... I was forgetting that I'm a lawyer too! Ah ah ah!

Forum Veteran

Woodlawn, Belmont, Eastchester, Country club/Throgs Neck and Riverdale would be places for you to look at in the Bronx.

as for Bk or BX, it depends where your going to school

By my racist strict standards, avoid anything on the eastern side of Brooklyn, and central Brooklyn is not for you unless you enjoy the great diversity of jewish ghettos, if you want Italians, Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst are your best guesses in this borough but you guys are dying out here and fast (I miss you ) so unless you like halal meat and la-di-da-da-da-dum-da-li-di-d-ta music all the time this may not be such a great place either. These days Italian neighborehoods are as Italian as Tunisia (aha, that's actually a great comparison I think)

Simply put if you have the money to buy a house move to Bay Ridge because there's plenty of places away from the masses that are quite beautiful, how much you'd actually enjoy renting here I don't really know.

People on this site are quick to jump to the RACIST! conclusion. Is it REALLY that goddamn outrageous that I want to live in a place that has American values and American culture? I TOLERATE others but nothing more than that, I have never said anything about the fact that I must see these people on the street but it's that everything American has been pushed aside for some crap in foreign languages is unacceptable to me.

Cut the liberal crap, you can't evict me for preferring THIS country over China, Mexico, Iraq, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, and everyplace else.

ironmike where do you live? I'll trade you my fake-italian/irish-but-really-arab neighborehood for your german irish, how about that?

or better yet, save some money and move to Battery Park City or Lennox Hill where nobody is racist but employs minorities to help those good old aspiring Americans.

Jake, cut the crap.

The man asked a question. The thread is not another soapbox for you to spew your venom, and lament how miserable your life in New York is.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast