Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC (Original) 3D Model

Default WTC (Original) 3D Model

Some of you may have seen renderings of this here or on other architecture/hi rise sites. It is my attempt to build a model of the WTC as it stood on 9/10/01 as accurately and as faithfully as possible without breaking my computer (which is better than most, but still chugs at some points due to the complexity of the model). This includes the entire 7 building complex, the plaza, and once the Trade Center is complete, the surrounding buildings as well, especially 130 Liberty, as it won't be around for too much longer.

This model shows every colum in every Trade Center building from the concourse level up. However, it's not a structurally accurate model in the engineering sense of the term. For example, I did not recreate the transition from box columns to I beams in the upper levels of the core. However, every item seen and used by visitors and regular workers and tenants will be depicted, plus a few things people saw but never noticed. Like the 6ft difference in the towers height caused by the higher 43rd and 67th floors in the North Tower.

Still Renders

360x360 panoramas (Quicktime required)
    http://skyscrapermodels.us/pics/wtc1_m.mov
    http://skyscrapermodels.us/pics/wtc2_m.mov
    http://skyscrapermodels.us/pics/wtc3_m.mov

More renders:
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=106842

TO DO:
    Twin Tower's roofs.
    Tower lobby details including signage, railings and plants.
    Tower emergency stairwells.
    3WTC bend, roof, and machinery band.
    4,5 WTC: Elevator core and basic interiors. There is no public record of the layout of 6WTC as built, so I've given up on it.
    7WTC: Entire builing.
    Plaza: Add the rest of greenery, benches, lamps, 1993 Memorial, more stairs and Vessey St. Escalator. Plaza "Sphere" redux. Massive rock sculpture between 4 &5 WTC. Plaza bridge over Vessey st. to 7WTC. Tube-ish overpass to 7WTC.
    Concourse: If there are more photos, I will recreate the concourse mall. So far, I have two photos and the map from the NIST report (ironically, I couldn't have made this model without the help of the FEMA and NIST WTC reports).

NEEDED:
    Photos of Tower 7's lobby.
    Photos of Twin Tower local elevator lobby.
    Photos of 2 World Trade Observation Deck.
    Photos of Plaza building interiors, preferably main lobbies.
    Concourse mall photos
    Any Elevator related photos.
    More Tower lobby photos, specifically of the concourse level.

Any comments, criticisms and corrections are also more than welcome. Especially corrections. I never had the chance to see or walk around the center and find out what's in the obscure corner. I'm also not quite sure if this is the right forum for this, so if it's wrong, feel free to move it. I'll find again it eventually.
    Last edited by STR; June 6th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.

Here is a pretty good collection of interior shots. Not sure if you have already seen these:

http://www.nycfoto.com/showPage.php?albumID=52

Fantastic work! Please keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrobel
    Here is a pretty good collection of interior shots. Not sure if you have already seen these:

http://www.nycfoto.com/showPage.php?albumID=52
    Yes I have, though I notices another WTC album I hadn't noticed before. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    Fantastic work! Please keep at it.
    Don't worry. I won't stop until EVERYTHING looks great. In the next set of renders the plaza will be looking much livlier. I've already replaced the saucer-like depression around the fountain with real stairs and those bench/planters that ringed the area. On my immediate to-do list is the plaza benches (the ones arranged in that spiral pattern the last few years of the complex), those light posts around the fountain, all the planters. I'm hoping to have it done tomorrow, though it may take longer because I'm messing around with light tracing and radiosity for more realistic looking renders. Then I really have to finish up the Mariott. I've specifically made sure this was out of view, but there's a pie piece-like chunk of 3WTC missing from the bent section.
    Last edited by STR; June 7th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Excellent job!! keep it up!

Been messing with the Mental Ray hi-def renderer. This is new to me so it's been a lot of work getting everything set up and there's still errors I need to get rid of, but the shadows and lighting just look amazing.

Plaza fountain with materials removed.

WTC with materials removed.

Semi-finished product with some rendering errors.

Don't know if you have this image of the sculpture that sat at the eastern edge of the WTC Plaza between the two low-rise buildings:

Figure 2. Masayuki Nagare. WTC Plaza Sculpture, 1972.
    Black Sweedish granite over steel and concrete armature.
    Photo: Port Authority of NY and NJ

I have about a half dozen photos of the rock scuplture. I just haven't made it yet. I'll add it later today/tomorrow when I add the plaza benches.

And after:

Masayuki Nagare Sculpture in The Plaza with Top of Broadcast Tower at Right;
    view to west; tower 2 at left; tower 1 at rear; 5WTC at right
    by Robert Segal
    Yashica T-4

Did they trash it or was it preserved like the Sphere? That side seems almost intact, though it looks like some of the stone facade may have fallen off.

Not sure what has become of the Nagare sculpture ---

I'm checking some sources to try and find out if it was trashed or salvaged.

For what it is worth:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...90/ai_91210281

WTC sculpture: lost or destroyed? - Artworld - World Trade Center - Brief Article

Art in America, Sept, 2002 by Janet Koplos

Masayuki Nagare's large public sculpture Cloud Fortress (1975) survived the collapse of the World Trade Center but was lost in the rescue and recovery efforts. When a photograph of the smoking ruins appeared in New York magazine's Oct. 1, 2001, report on the attack, the black stone sculpture stood, intact, in the foreground. It may have been precisely its position that was fatal: the sculpture was set at the Church Street entrance to the central plaza. According to sources at Jason McCoy Gallery, which represents Nagare [see review on p. 136], as well as Mark Wagner of Voorsanger Architects, who is involved in the archiving of art fragments recovered from the site, the sculpture was bulldozed and removed, probably within the first 24 hours, to allow heavy machinery to facilitate the rescues anticipated in those early hours. No trace of it has come to light at the landfill on Staten Island or elsewhere. The sculpture seems to have endured like a fortress and then vanished like a cloud.

It was bulldozed over by rescue/recovery workers on or around Sept. 18 to make way for heavy equipment. No pieces have been recovered. Even though it was the only piece to survive intact, it's also the only sculpture at the site not having any remnants at all. I'm a little p.o'd at that.

EDIT: Removed the duplicate link posted above. The remaining article has Nagare's response to the loss of his work.

http://polymerclayart-japan.com/naga...culpture2.html
    Last edited by STR; June 9th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

WTC/Tobin Plaza

Tower 1: Plaza Level to 110th.

Close up of signs.

Default Model Citizen

WoW STR.....you truly are a MODEL citizen. AWeSOME!

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast