Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC (Original) 3D Model

^3D Studio Max.

Just got amessage last night, though I won't able to see the program until it re-airs tonight. An A&E documentary will feature this model, albeit moderate to heavily modified to suit the program.

Trapped in the Towers: The Elevators of 9/11
    Saturday, September 09 @ 8pm/7C
    Sunday, September 10 @ 12am/11C
    http://www.aetv.com/listings/episode...isodeid=184793

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    On 9/11 there was a temporary stage for a presentation of a series of free concerts in the WTC Plaza; the stage was set up just south of east entrance to the North Tower:

http://www.newyorkled.com/Past_Event...r_Concerts.htm

The David Parsons Dance Company was set to perform at 7PM that evening.

The previous evening the David Gordon Pick Up Company performed there.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http:...eningstars.jpg

The "Center Stage On Stage!" and the "Evening Starts On Stage!"
    at the Twin Towers, June, July and August 2001...

©2001-2006 NewYorkInPhotos.com.
    That picture from Jean Alan's design site (http://images.google.com/url?q=http:...eningstars.jpg)... That's actually MY brochure. I sent her that scan. I picked it up at 2 WTC's TKTS booth on June 15, 2001, 88 days before the attacks. It was the singular WTC experience of my life-- visited there only that day, once, and that was it. That visit plays an integral part in who I am today. I sometimes feel as if it were a dream... but this brochure confirms it to me-- I was actually there. It happened.

Here's the whole scan (large with both sides): http://static.flickr.com/92/23666575...ade507_b_d.jpg

I found this thread by searching for "WTC 3D model", because I'm looking for someone who made it their endeavor to virtually recreate the entire WTC complex. Including the Mall underground. I dream of a WTC program-- in a hyper-realistic environment similar to Half-Life 2's (without the violent elements of course), so one can virtually tour the WTC site as if it were still there.

I'm looking desperately for someone to create this-- and the renderings here are absolutely amazing. If these could somehow be created into a handle-able format for computers, similarly to the way HL 2 handles, that would be an ABSOLUTE, incredible tribute.

Specifically, if anyone has pictures of the doors of 5 WTC on Vesey St, right next to what is now the "Survivors' Staircase", and the entrance area right when you walk in, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

I'm actually looking for anyone who has video of the Mall underground. And the 2 WTC lobby. It's OUT THERE... I just don't know how to find it. Imagine all the tourists who have filmed these areas. It must be in the thousands and thousands.

I see that you recently put up a map of the concourse mall. I found the PANYNJ's diagram they originally had up on their site:

If that's any help. It's harder to read, though. Thanks for the higher quality NIST version.

I'm really looking forward to future developments of this incredibly detailed 3D model. You can do great things with this.

-Sam Jackson
    Last edited by mrjoanofarc; September 11th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

STR, I must say, I was truly inspired by your work. I have my own 3D animation/design program, thought it musn't be quite as good as yours (it's available for download at www.daz3d.com - it's called Bryce 5.5). I used renders of your model, especially the one on the first page of this thread where it shows the sign and then the building going up, to help make mine better - but yours is far better than mine is (at the moment I've only got the outside and a very un-detailed and inaccurate lobby). I really love this model!

Are you going to do every single room in the towers? Because there must have been about a thousand rooms in one of the towers alone!

I'm sure you have this, but here's a picture of the TKTS booth from the northeast corner of 2 WTC:

^ That's actually 5 WTC in the distance, though it looks a lot closer from the perspective lens used (you can tell because the sun-bleached-out Sphere blocks a part of the under-curtain).

Also-- do you have any pictures of the *inside* of the plaza/entrance doors next to the tkts booth?

STR, have you any pictures of the lobbies in WTC 1 and 2? I'm just a little confused as to how it was set out. Maybe a floor plan, or something? on Documentaries I've seen you walk in straight below the overhead walkway, but I've heard that WTC 2's lobby was different. I just don't think my model is quite accurate...

Golly, your model is soooooo detailed. I wish I had your potential... how does one find every single corner and detail of seven buildings that don't even exist anymore? You must have your sources (apart from the ones on this thread).

Following is a photo of my current lobby in WTC 1 (this is not quite accurate as I have sinced edited it - I also haven't got many textures for it yet).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_4.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	2409  

STR, why did you choose to make the Plaza seating configuration hooklike:

...when one week before 9/11 (and probably a while before that), it was perfectly circular:

If you want to recreate it to look the way it looked September 10th, 2001, you should re-design the seating to be circular. :/

*EDIT* Oh, and to be more accurate with the signage... I believe the official font is Helvetica. It looks like you're using Tahoma.

(Helvetica Bold)
    Last edited by mrjoanofarc; September 18th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
    STR, why did you choose to make the Plaza seating configuration hooklike when one week before 9/11 (and probably a while before that), it was perfectly circular:

If you want to recreate it to look the way it looked September 10th, 2001, you should re-design the seating to be circular.
    Because it was only in a circle for about the last week. For the years prior, it had been set up in the spiral pattern shown. I'm not entirely sure they wouldn't have moved everything back to the way it was in another week.

But whatever. I can switch the benches around in like 10 minutes.

The seating was moved about to make room for the stage and seating for annual PERFORMANCES

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The seating was moved about to make room for the stage and seating for annual PERFORMANCES
    Yeah, I put that together after I just saw this: http://www.panynj.gov/drp/images/pan...ptr2_P4_m1.jpg

I just found some new images of the Observation deck and 2 WTC lobby. I'll put them in the Skyscraperpage forum. (Check them out, they're really good)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=115522
    Last edited by mrjoanofarc; September 18th, 2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added Skyscraperpage Forum Link

For all the negative talk about the WTC Plaza I found the the re-do had done a lot towards making it a terrific public space -- particularly in the warmer months.

The fountain surrounding Koenig's Sphere was magnificent.

I've always felt that the plaza was doomed not due to its design but rather due to the extremely high volume of passerbies. I've always enjoyed the place but was annoyed that it felt like sitting in the middle of a crosswalk.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    NEEDED:
    Photos of Tower 7's lobby.
    Photos of Twin Tower local elevator lobby.
    Photos of 2 World Trade Observation Deck.
    Photos of Plaza building interiors, preferably main lobbies.
    Concourse mall photos
    Any Elevator related photos.
    More Tower lobby photos, specifically of the concourse level.
    I keep forgetting to give you this. I'm not sure whether you need it or not, but I found a diagram of the elevators online. If you don't need them just tell me, but otherwise, here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC elevator system.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	2515  

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    I keep forgetting to give you this. I'm not sure whether you need it or not, but I found a diagram of the elevators online. If you don't need them just tell me, but otherwise, here it is.
    ^That diagram isn't entirely correct. The only below is closer, although not entirely accurate because it's from the first draft to the design.

Thumbs up

How in the world did you obtain that WTC blueprint? Nice work!

^I got that one from a 9/11 conspiracy site. Those idiots ARE useful for something. Only problem is its dated 1962 and was far from what was finally built. If you'll notice, in that plan they kept using the H&M terminal for PATH, instead of the brand new terminal near what used to be Grenwich st.

I do have a map of the concourse level dated sometime near 2001. It's insanely detailed. Here's a crop of 6WTC

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast