Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162

Thread: WTC (Original) 3D Model

Was the former WTC concourse under the elevated plaza level, or actually in a basement floor under street level?

Both, since the street level slopes down a great deal from Church to West St. So what started as being on the lobby level of both towers became a "basement" level at Church St.

Default Virtual WTC Model - CS_NorthTower >

I built this model of the WTC complex for the game Counter Strike Source (CS:S) back in 2005.
    I spent a month making textures and another month building the map. There was only photo's on the net to work with back then so it's not perfect but a reasonable likeness. CS:S was updated so I re-compiled the map to work with the new version (2011).

Being a 3D game engine you can walk and even fly around the map. You don't have to play the game you can just spectate. Just keep in mind that it's all smoke and mirrors. Only the north tower has internal details. You can fly to areas on the level that wouldn't be accessed while playing the game and there are holes.

Here's some more images

Or you can download the map for free from http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/154051
    You will need the CS:S game but that can be downloaded for $20 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Both, since the street level slopes down a great deal from Church to West St. So what started as being on the lobby level of both towers became a "basement" level at Church St.
    Very true. The concourse covered 2 levels. The main one, at Elevation 310 (310 feet above the NYC datum) was also the street level entrance for the towers. There was a mezzanine level partially under 4 World Trade and part under the plaza that was 12 feet higher than that, though after Alexander's closed up, this level became accessible only from 4WTC 2nd floor lobby (plaza level), whereas before there was a stairway with direct access to the main level.

4WTC Church St. Level lobby, looking west at the strairs up to the Plaza Level, and down to the concourse mezzanine.

I'm rebuilding my WTC model from scratch now that I'm pretty much done with the new WTC towers. Unlike last time, I have a fairly complete set of blueprints to go off of, though they're construction prints. The WTC, particularly 4WTC, went through extensive modifications through the years. Reconciling the oringinal plans and the site as it was as of 2001 has been tricky and has actually consumed more time than the building of the model itself.

Eastern Liberty St. Entrance. Look familiar to anyone?

Plaza Level lobby for 4WTC

4WTC from the east

4WTC from the north.

Facade details

Tower Lobby

Looking down

Looking up

Compare and contrast

Up close

Up closer

Not as close

Last edited by STR; March 21st, 2011 at 03:32 AM.

Just amazing work, STR.

I remember well that stair leading out of 4WTC to Liberty Street.

The base of the new 1WTC looks pretty damned fantastic and the details you've accomplished throughout are mindboggling. The elongated entry along the west facade looks great. The entire base of 1 WTC is a great blend of classic unified architecture + modernism.

The WTC as a whole was an odd mix of stylings. I'm not aware of any building like it, at least approaching this kind of scale. Anyway, good to hear I'm on the right track.

Last edited by STR; March 22nd, 2011 at 05:54 PM.

Building the pax elevator system.

Aside from the roof, the exterior and perimeter of the interior is done.

While work continues in the interior.

STR: Are you doing this for your own fun / edification? Or is it part of a project supported by outside resources?

Why Lofter, I'd be happy to let you sponsor my work. I really need a new PC, I'm running this on a 3 year old laptop.

As soon as I line up somebody to sponsor my work, I'll let you know.

^Touche

Redid the penthouse ribs.

Given that the redux of the penthouse was the last thing on my facade checklist, I copied and dropped the height by 6 feet to make 2WTC's exterior.

One with the new 3WTC

The roofs were a bit different between the two towers, mostly because 2WTC's 110th floor was considerable smaller, since there was no broadcasting facility installed, though both buildings could have structurally supported the antenna. The antenna mount and hat truss (which connected the perimeter columns to the central core) is what formed the hump on the roof of both buildings. That's about it for this week. I'm taking the weekend off.

Any news or progress? Such a great project...

Hi, I really like your 3D models, they look very detailed Iīm also building a model of the World Trade Center, but mine is not a virtual one on the pc, Iīm building a model of all seven WTC buildings (and the streets) out of wood and aluminum. The only problem is, that I donīt exactly know, how some parts of the buildings and plaza looked. For example I donīt know what the plaza looked like between WTC-1 and WTC-3, I also dont know how many entrances 1 and 3 had and where the were located. I would be really thankful if one of you could maybe post some pictures of those parts. I also donīt know were the entrances from the streets to the substation and the mall were. Regards, Pablo

STR, are you still working on this at all?

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162