Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC (Original) 3D Model

I haven't started with 7 yet. Right now I'm finishing up 6WTC and starting on 5WTC. Five will probably take until the weekend, as there was a lot of stuff beneath it.

Rough time table
    *6WTC and parts of WFC North Bridge, connecting to the lobby of 1WTC. Will include WTC freight doors.
    *5WTC, Vessey street entrances, the shops beneath building 5, escalators and stairs located in the building (including the "Survivors Staircase" and landscaping around the northern half of the superblock, including in front of 1WTC. Also, I will add elevation to the ground, as the site slopes almost 20 feet from West St. to Church St.
    *Plaza, most of the concourse beneath the plaza is already done, so it's just a matter of making the plaza itself, as well as the steps/ramps leading from Church St. I will also complete the tower lobbies at this time, as they're not done yet.
    *4WTC, Liberty Street entrances, shops beneath building 4 and landscaping on the southern half of the site, including around 2WTC.
    *3WTC and its lobby and conference spaces, if I can find photos.
    *7WTC if I can find interior photos.

Between those steps, or maybe when I do the plaza, I'll add all the public art. I guess I should add the 1993 Memorial as well.
    Last edited by STR; November 2nd, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

This is the only shot I have that shows any of Tower 7's lobby. It was 4 stories high, with the overpasses connecting to the elevator lobby through the middle.

Work on the concourse continues.

I always had in my mind that the overpass between 6 WTC and 7 WTC was a sort of plaza for 7 WTC by itself. But now that I think about it, it is pretty much just an overpass... it doesn't really matter.

It's great to see your progress on this model when it's this far into the modelling. I find it particularly interesting that you have all the columns inside the concourse mall and inside the U.S. Customs Warehouse. Do you have little elevators in the Twin Towers? That'd be pretty cool...

I can't wait to see your progress on 7 WTC. One other thing, how do you find the time to go between making the model of the Original WTC and the new model (which, by the way, is coming along fantasticly)?

I haven't worked on the NWTC in about a month and I don't have any elevator cabs, just a low polygon copy of the elevator system that looks like the real deal from inside the model.

Without the tower, the elevators just look like this.

Awesome work!

In my model all I've got inside the towers aside from the lobbies are about 20 columns that aren't exactly what should be there... I need to fix that...

Also in my North Tower I've got a staircase shaft, but it sucks. It's just one flight of stairs (there should be three) that just goes all the way to the top..

Tehehe... the first photo is looking back to my first tower... completely out of scale and probably without anything inside the lobby, but it's still cool to look back...

The second one's also a funny one - my first pair of towers. I copied tower 1 and moved it down a little bit. The plane is a "half assed" (as STR once put it) attempt at trying to make a plane. I then downloaded one of www.max-realms.com. This pic is also way back at the beginning of my model's creation.

The other pics are just pics of where I am with the model currently (although the third is a bit harder to identify - it's the flight of stairs in between the North Tower and the Marriot Hotel). STR, I hope you don't feel as if I'm challenging you to see who's the better model-maker. I needed a model of the Trade Center, so I built one. I don't expect it to be anywhere near as brilliant as yours is.

I am going to try and build a very simple concourse and also make a more detailed version of 7 WTC. After that I'm just going to be adding finishing touches to my model, e.g., dirt patches for the trees in the plaza, the roof of 7 WTC, chairs in the plaza around the fountain and hopefully a better looking fountain in general. It's still got a little way to go but at least I've got the hard bits (building the buildings) sorted out.

Awesome, AWESOME work!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_1.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	2859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_8.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	2860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_23.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	2861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_26.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	2862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_new_27.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	2863  

Oh, and by the way, I keep forgetting to ask - have you got any pictures of the overpass between the WTC plaza and 7 WTC (the one with the big red sculpture)? I need some pics of the sculpture so that I can put that into my model.

Thanks heaps. I can now get to work on adding the overpass details to my model.

So work continues. 5WTC is comming along nicely, and I've got the ground properly elevated/depressed, plus/minus a possible error of 3 feet or so in some areas. But having not been there, I've got to ask a few questions for anyone familair with the site:

1) Was the ground along Vesset St between the 5WTC lobby exits (near the infamous staircase) really 20 feet below Church St?

2) Were there any level changes within Building 5? I know there was a ramp within the Borders store, but were there any other 3-4 foot level changes on the plaza level?

Any photos of the Vessey St. side of 5WTC (I'll take ANY 5WTC photos while I'm at it) would be immensely appeciated.
    Last edited by STR; November 2nd, 2006 at 07:59 PM.

Directly to the east of the Koenig Sphere in the area where the large black scupture was situated the Plaza dropped down to Church Street -- if memory serves me correctly there used to be steps at that point, and then at some point it was redesigned to make the area between Church Street / Plaza accessible via long sloping ramps (on either side of that sculpture).

20 Feet drop from the low point at Vesey east to the intersection at Church St. could be correct -- the wall at the end of West Broadway / Vesey just to the west of the staircase was massive. Also consider that the pedestrian overpass between the Plaza and 7WTC had to be high enough to allow for major trucks to pass underneath on Vesey.

Hope this is clear -- and that it helps.

No, I've got pics of the Church St. entrance. I'm talking about from Church to West Broadway St via Vessey. Anything west of W Broadway is already done, as it's just a 22-28 foot high wall.

In this photo of the Masayuki Nagare sculpture you can see a set of steps leading up to the Plaza in the background ...

I count six steps ... at standard height of 8" / step x 6 steps = 48" rise

Following photos from: http://www.survivorsnet.org/stairway/1_9-11-05.html

If the doorway in this picture of the damaged staircase is the standard height then 20' from Vesey Street to Plaza seems about right ...

In this picture I count ~ 34 steps --

At 8" / step x 34 steps = 272" / 12 = 22.667' ...

This next photo is from: http://www.nationaltrust.org/11most/...de_center.html

In this image I count 36 - 37 steps, which would make the rise from vesey > Plaza ~ 24'

The next shot clearly shows the wall along Vesey Street and was taken ~ 9.14.2001.

It is from: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=372383

"Pruning the Pile view to west; from left: 5WTC, 6WTC, remains of 7WTC"

by Robert Segal
    Yashica T-4

And in this one you can see the beginning of the slope of Vesey Street as it moves west from Church St.

This is a shot taken January 30, 2000 from: http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/events/2...E-NY/0130.html

The shot is fairly dark, but it does show some of the details of the sidewalk area along Vesey from West Broadway east towards Church (probably taken from the pedestrian overpass between 7WTC / WTC Plaza) ...

"A view east down Vesey Street in front of the World Trade Center."

There is a big shot taken just post 9.11 showing 5WTC / Vesey St. here: http://www.angehr.com/images/GZ7.jpg

Another showing 5WTC / the Vesey Street wall with the Staircase in the background: http://www.angehr.com/images/gzs16.jpg

Similar viewpoint as the one above: http://www.angehr.com/images/gzs38.jpg

And another -- "Vesey St. facing West ( 7 WTC Overpass collapsed in background )": http://www.angehr.com/images/gzs9.jpg

^Thanks, I think I got it close enough now.

Continuing work on 5WTC and adding the Plaza, the latter coming out just awesome if I do say so myself.

Last edited by STR; November 3rd, 2006 at 02:07 PM.

Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast