Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC (Original) 3D Model

^ Are the bottom shots from the concourse mall?

Looking good ...

You might want to take another look at the Vesey Street wall -- it seems that at the top of the stair / escalator the raised area there "bumped out" towards 7WTC and was square with the grid of both the street & 5WTC / 6WTC (rather than an angled wall as it seems you're showing along Vesey west of the stair).

These two shots show what I'm talking about:

http://www.angehr.com/images/GZ7.jpg
    http://www.angehr.com/images/gzs16.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    ^ Are the bottom shots from the concourse mall?
    Yes. The first is from near the PATH super-escalator setup, looking west towards Tower 1. The second is right near the concourse entrance to Tower 2.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Looking good ...

You might want to take another look at the Vesey Street wall -- it seems that at the top of the stair / escalator the raised area there "bumped out" towards 7WTC and was square with the grid of both the street & 5WTC / 6WTC (rather than an angled wall as it seems you're showing along Vesey west of the stair).
    Yeah, I know, the 2nd corner just isn't visible in any of those shots, but take another look at the one below.

Hi STR...
    Last edited by jpdc; July 28th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdc View Post
    ...is it possible to load the cs_northtower map into Half Life 2?
    The map needs to be setup and compiled for use in HL2. Most of the clipping and layout has been set to be played in Counter Strike Source so it would not be very interesting.
    You can however use Gary's Mod to load content (like cs_northtower) and look around, spawn AI's etc in the HL2 engine.

STR, just if you're interested, here's a sweet angle showing the base of 3WTC...

http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/plac...eaked-1-GS.jpg

That stretch of West Street ^^^ was a mess back then, eh??

Yeah, it was... but I must say, that photo is pretty interesting. It shows the little awning over the entrance to 3 WTC pretty well. If only it gave you a shot of the lobby.

I was just looking back at some of the first screenshots on page 3 of this forum (I think) and I only just realised the steps leading down from between 4 and 5 WTC down to Church Street. I'm just working on adding it to my model, and it's proving to be pretty damn annoying.

Just out of curiosity (and for the sake of my own model) what was the 1993 memorial? Was it the sculpture in between the Twin Towers out in front of the Marriott, or was it the black pyramid sculpture between 4 and 5 WTC?

I ended up having to redo all of the plaza buildings (4, 5 and 6) today because of that little nuisance with the eastern plaza steps, between 4 and 5...

The 1993 Memorial was the circular installation just to the south of 1WTC at the north east side of the Marriott
    (looking at the 2nd photo below it would been found just beyond -- and to the right -- of the angular sculpture) ...

Info: http://www.ifar.org/911_memorial1.htm

Elyn Zimmerman. World Trade Center Memorial, 1993.
    Red, black and white granite

Photo: Port Authority of NY and NJ.

WTC site before construction of the Memorial, looking west.
    Tower One is on the right. Tower Two is on the left.

Photo: E. Zimmerman

Are you sure it wasn't to the left of the angular sculpture? In this picture (made by STR himself, for his paper model of the WTC) near the Marriot there is a small group of trees surrounding a big black circle. Maybe that was it?

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8wtcua1.png
    Last edited by Joelio; November 29th, 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Did Vesey Street and Liberty Street slope upwards to meet up with the plaza level?

Vesey and Liberty both sloped up from West Street to Church Street -- evidenced by the high wall at the intersection of those two streets at West Street and along the West Street frontage of the Vista Hotel / North Tower / 6 WTC.

Interesting shot HERE showing the relationship of the Plaza level between 2WTC / 3WTC and St. Nicholas Church / 90 West Street across Liberty Street.

My memory (never to be trusted) is that the 1993 Memorial was closer to the south side of the North Tower than what is shown in the image you linked ...

However the 1993 Memorial was designed to be installed directly above the site of the 1993 bombing.

A very good description of the design process for the 1993 Memorial from one of the artists (including the placement in the plaza) is HERE

This tiny picture (the link to a larger image is not working) seems to indicate that the Memorial was farther from the south side of the North Tower than I remember ...

This drawing shows the bombing site was a bit farther south than I previously noted -- and more in line with your linked image ...

I'm a bit confused about the memorial. This image here shows a lego model of the WTC (you should scroll through the pics, it's really good) and the gold piece must be the memorial. I'm not sure where to put it, but I'll go with your memory and the lego model...

That's a cool picture of the bomb location, where did you find it?

I myself never had the chance to go to the World Trade Center. What was the plaza like? I can imagine that it would have been really awesome, being surrounded by these six buildings, two of which rise higher than any of the other buildings in Manhattan..

Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast