Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool local coffee shops in Murray Hill

Talking Cool local coffee shops in Murray Hill

I'm new to the Murray Hill area and looking to find a fun local (aka not Starbucks!) coffee joint to chill in on weekends - a great place where people may know your name, and is great to go to on a rainy day/read your Sunday Times.

Plenty of such places on the UES, but I can't find anything around my area.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by metisles16
    I'm new to the Murray Hill area and looking to find a fun local (aka not Starbucks!) coffee joint to chill in on weekends - a great place where people may know your name, and is great to go to on a rainy day/read your Sunday Times.

Plenty of such places on the UES, but I can't find anything around my area.

Any suggestions?
    Can you tell us about your favorite coffee shops on UES? I live on UES and don't know that many good local coffee shops.

This isn't exactly Murray Hill, but it's close:

http://www.irvingfarm.com/index.cfm?...rvingplace.cfm

I really don't see too many independent coffee shops in NYC. The Friends lifestyle seems to be not much more than a myth, thankfully.

Forum Veteran

It doesn't help metisles16, but Brooklyn's got a bit of coffee culture. Tea Lounge in Park Slope, Read in Williamsburg - low margin businesses need cheap rent...

Why is Murray Hill so dull? Does anybody know?

Real estate agents promote it to recent grads like it was the second coming. The recent grads believe the hype and move in, paying out the ass for their apartments. Thus, you have Murray Hill.

Default Re: UES Coffee shops

There's a very small, but cute spot called "Java Girl" - 348 E. 66th St. It's small, not much seating, but very cute and in the realm of what I'm looking for down in the midtown area.

Here's a list of all the coffee shops in the NYC area, about 98% of which are Starbucks:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/yellow...er=cw1&cw1=106

It doesn't look like there are any in Murray Hill. Maybe you could find a bar you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Real estate agents promote it to recent grads like it was the second coming. The recent grads believe the hype and move in, paying out the ass for their apartments. Thus, you have Murray Hill.
    So, the recent grads make it dull?

But how do they actually do it?

No, the sort of people who are duped by realtor hype make the area dull.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Why is Murray Hill so dull? Does anybody know?
    I think Murray Hill Neighborhood Association is fighting the developers better than any other neighborhood. Whatever the raeson is, I don't see much construction that part of town..That alone will keep new stores from opening up..There is less commercial space...

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    I think Murray Hill Neighborhood Association is fighting the developers better than any other neighborhood. Whatever the raeson is, I don't see much construction that part of town..That alone will keep new stores from opening up..There is less commercial space...
    I guess the dull need a place too.

You could think of New York as a collection of city-states, like ancient Greece. A New York neighborhood might have about the population of Athens, Sparta or Corinth --and Greece as a whole might have harbored about as many souls as New York City.

Each city-state had its own character as an outcome of who was attracted to it and how they raised their children. Thus Athens contained more than its share of intellectuals and dreamers; Corinth was known for its materialists, worldliness and fleshpots; and Sparta was a refuge for militarists and proto-Nazis. I don't know which city was known for its appeal to dullards, but I'm sure there was one.

With their neighborhood associations and community boards, New York neighborhoods enjoy a degree of autonomy and self-government somewhat comparable to a city-state in the Delian League. I guess each neighborhood attracts the folks it deserves and reinforces its identity by a kind of direct participatory democracy or at least obeisance to tyranny.

The only thing missing is the Peloponnesian War.

Last edited by ablarc; June 14th, 2006 at 09:01 AM.

Default Murray Hill coffee shops

I'd recommend looking up coffee shops in that area on neighborwork.com... They have lists of restaurants/bars and you can specify which area you're looking for in particular. Or, you could just look up the Murray Hill zipcode and ask members who belong to that site. I've found it pretty helpful when I'm looking to find restaurants in certain areas... Hope this helps!

Murray Hill in Manhattan, or the one in Queens?

Quote Originally Posted by capoeta cypher
    Murray Hill in Manhattan, or the one in Queens?
    Where is it in Queens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast