Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 47 East 34th Street - by H. Thomas O'Hara

Ha ha -- I figured pictures of the progress of the monstrosity-to-be would blocking my view would bring pleasure to some plus i have to document for my children-to-be that we used to have a great view. yeah- i will post pictures. their website indicates "winter 2007" so it will be a while.

after much eye squinting i think i might retain a quarter view but it is nothing compared to what i have now. we shall see.

antinimby -- not sure if this is what you are suggesting, but do you think if i were a native new yorker i would not be against this building? (I assume you mean native new york city person).

Quote Originally Posted by DKNY
    Ha ha -- I figured pictures of the progress of the monstrosity-to-be would blocking my view would bring pleasure to some plus i have to document for my children-to-be that we used to have a great view. yeah- i will post pictures. their website indicates "winter 2007" so it will be a while.
    Important thing is: you're hooked. (On the forum.)

I'll stick my head out to say that as much as I am a proponent of tall buildings often in lowrise areas, I'd be happy if this monstrosity isn't built.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I'll stick my head out to say that as much as I am a proponent of tall buildings often in lowrise areas, I'd be happy if this monstrosity isn't built.
    So you see, it's not the height; it's the architectural (in)competence.

If it were an architectural masterpiece, DKNY would still lose his view, but he would gain a new one to compensate.

Of course, i knew a great view wasn't my god given right. just a nice perk that i will enjoy until the 29th floor (from my rough calculations) goes up.
    If the NIMBY scenario played out to complete view preservation, you'd have to get them to knock eight floors off the top. But what about the guys on lower floors and in other buildings? We'd have to accommodate them too.

Five story building, anyone?

How about a nice 37-story sculptural object by, say, Frank Gehry?

Or make that 47 stories.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I agree... and what is more disturbing is that is in a major street!

Yuck! Hopefully they built better buildings that will sandwich this thing.

The Dude Abides

Wow, that is horrible. Shouldn't a city like New York hold developers to stricter standards than that? I can understand it's not feasible in every case, but it should be done at the very least on our most prominent streets - 57th, 42nd, 34th, etc. I mean, this is the same street the ESB and Macy's is on. Surely it's deserving of a better design. This is a rare case where I'd prefer to see non-descript low rise buildings remain. At least then, it's a case of "Oh, maybe development hasn't caught up to that area yet" or "That building's falling apart, but I guess the owners don't want to sell." This building is truly an insult, the architectural equivalent of a giant red middle finger in Midtown. They could call it, "Obscenity on 34th Street."

Someone needs to put H. Thomas and his minions out of their misery. I have quite the urge to blast off a not-so-nice email to him or whoever it is that would read it, not that it'd make one iota of difference, but at least I'd have blown off some steam. Garrrrr.....

Maybe we all should send emails. It could be a virtual group therapy of sort.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Shouldn't a city like New York hold developers to stricter standards than that?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I can understand it's not feasible in every case...
    Why not? There are plenty of review commissions, boards, societies, etc. already. Trick is to appoint smart folks with good judgment, don't expect perfection in all cases, and maybe accept a little...um...conflict of interest. Could still be better than what we have now, which in many places is nothing but numbers in a zoning code. I think I'd rather have the flawed judgment of committees.

The Dude Abides

I guess it's doable if you have a large enough staff, but I meant to emphasize that certain areas need this kind of regulation more urgently than others.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

antinimby -- not sure if this is what you are suggesting, but do you think if i were a native new yorker i would not be against this building? (I assume you mean native new york city person).
    The reason why I asked about your background is because I just wanted to know how people would choose to come to New York (and into the middle of Manhattan no less!) and not expect to see highrises go up in their neighborhood.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    Someone needs to put H. Thomas and his minions out of their misery. I have quite the urge to blast off a not-so-nice email to him or whoever it is that would read it, not that it'd make one iota of difference, but at least I'd have blown off some steam. Garrrrr.....
    Maybe we all should send emails. It could be a virtual group therapy of sort.
    Yes, yes please do. And to provide extra motivation for you to write that email, take a look at what he has done on W. 42nd St.:

^ Ugh!!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink Luxury housing!

*smirk*

was that Building a School or a Solice station

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast