Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 47 East 34th Street - by H. Thomas O'Hara

That building on 42nd St is almost as pretty as the new brick building on the north side of 35th between Madison and 5th. I can see that one out my window (will get a pic if you haven't seen it when sun is brighter).

For your chuckling enjoyment, here is my current view of ESB (looking due west - the "finger" will arrive from the left of this frame). Must have been St Patty's day.

The Dude Abides

Yeah, we know what you're talking about. I think the building on 35th is a new hotel by Gene Kaufman, otherwise known as O'Hara's sidekick. Sorry about the view. Even though I don't think people are entitled to unobstructed views forever, I do feel that what ends up blocking them should at least be pleasant to look at.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, I think the building on 42nd was supposed to be senior/lower-income housing. Still, nothing excuses that kind of effort, or lack thereof.

Default info@basilebuilder.com

"Dear Basile Builders,

I am writing to you as a citizen and lover of New York City. It has come to my attention as well as many others the half-hearted design for a building at 47 E 34th Street. In case you are new to our dear city. 34th Street is one of our preeminent streets. It contains some of the world's most renowned and important buildings including Macy's and The Empire State Building - perhaps you have heard of them?

To commit such a crime on such important real estate is criminal. I beg you to seriously reconsider the artistic qualities of this design. Your company is more than capable of building better as seen through your upcoming Tribeca developments, which are not nearly as offensive - even respectable. I will be forwarding this email along to the various community groups, organizations and government officials to be sure that you are not allowed to destroy our city without a good long fight.

New York City deserves better than this-- and you know it.

Thank you for your time"

Kevin Wilen

Now if anyone here knows how to actually force a developer to improve their designs please, please let me know. We cannot in good faith continue to allow these greedy developers from cashing in so cheaply on the bubble boom craze.

The police station is across the street from that gorgeous (sarcasm) brick building they just built us. There used to be a lumber yard there. As for senior/low income housing, there is a new sign across the street about a new development for seemingly low income housing, but there is a lot of print that I didnt read. It seems as if they are finally renovating or maybe tearing down that condemned building next to the CVS. I'm sure someone on here knows more.

The building on 35th is also lower income according the guys working there -- it was built as part of some deal the developer made to be able to build some luxury building.

Kevin - I like your letter. Mind if I borrow it?

They need to hire "Ismael Leyva" or "Richard Meier"
    And they would be ok with even "Costas Kondylis",

(even though all you people on this site don’t like "Costas but his not bad, and look what he has just done at 45 Park Avenue for SJP.)

Thumbs down

I've been away for a few days, and when I come back I have to see this POS?

Height is fine, but it is such an ugly design, even at that small sized rendering.

What's happening around the Empire State building is a horrible shame, but it isn't the heights of the new projects, which the ESB easily dwarfs. The new residentials are just so badly designed, cropping up like an unsightly fungus all around the ESB, and without a shred of their own architectural beauty or dignity, yet all bragging of the views their wealthy residents will have of the grand building constructed during the Depression! Something has gone terribly wrong here, folks.

We're getting a crop of buildings that contribute nothing to the neighborhood but cheap materials and blank walls. Zero dignity.
    ...Deep breath....

Soon there will be more of them in that neighborhood. Let's hope they don't all look like this one.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Very good letter Kevin.
    This has got me thinking.
    Instead of us venting our frustration here on this forum to each other, why don't we work together on some kind of letter writing campaign to let the developers (and possibly some of the worst architects) know how we feel about their "product."
    I can come up with a list of some of the more common developers in this city and we can each then help write letters to forward to them.
    I figure that if we can flood them with lots of letters, maybe we can get someone's attention.
    What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Very good letter Kevin.
    This has got me thinking.
    Instead of us venting our frustration here on this forum to each other, why don't we work together on some kind of letter writing campaign to let the developers (and possibly some of the worst architects) know how we feel about their "product."
    I can come up with a list of some of the more common developers in this city and we can each then help write letters to forward to them.
    I figure that if we can flood them with lots of letters, maybe we can get someone's attention.
    What do you all think?
    I'll try anything to prevent more junk from entering this city. It's when the Nimby is rightfully deserved. The best course is surely to convince a developer that stronger design = stronger profit - even if this isn't neccassarily true.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Ah, but IT IS true.
    Don't sell yourself short. I liken it to a neighborhood, where everyone puts in an effort to keep their homes and property look as good as they can, thus making the property values in the neighborhood rise. Imagine if your house is next to a dump, would it command as good a price on the market? So that's an example.
    So you sound like you are onboard.
    Anyone else?
    We need letters from many people. This will make our voice sound louder, if you will.
    Also, we can share and compare letters and offer each other constructive criticism.

Unless the buying/renting public demands qualiity design, and I see no evidence of that, a minority appeal to developers will fall on deaf ears.

There has to be a policy change in city government. There should be a design review agency that sets minimum standards, similar to what exists for public property.

Arts Commission

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    There has to be a policy change in city government. There should be a design review agency...
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy the Chimp
    ...that sets minimum standards, similar to what exists for public property.
    But on a case by case basis, not by writing another set of canned formulas. We need engaged assessment of each specific reality, not pious generalities meant to apply to all cases; zoning gives us that.

Meanwhile, a letter or two will do no harm.

I happen to know that Basille is looking to sell the site, and with projects planned in much nicer areas, i'm guessing it will be awhile before they build it even if they don;t sell it.

Sales to start next month at 125 West 22nd Street 24-MAR-06 The Basile Builders Group, which is based in Brooklyn, is erecting a 13-story building at 125 West 22nd Street that will contain 33 condominium apartments and is known as Verde Chelsea.

The project has been designed by H. Thomas O’Hara and sales are anticipated to begin next month with completion in about a year.

The red-brick building has a couple of setbacks and features a 1,045-square-foot garden with a waterfall for the residents’ use.

The building will have a doorman and apartments will range in size from 778 to 1,838 square feet and in price from about $695,000 to $2,850,000. The largest unit will also contain about 530 square feet of outdoor space.

The developers are also involved in several other projects in Manhattan such as a 76-unit condominium tower at 47 East 34th Street and, in TriBeCa, 78 Laight Street and 55 Vestry Street.

I hope that they sell the site to a bigger developer who can acquire the adjacant, dumpy buildings and tear them down too.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHobo View Post
    Sales to start next month at 125 West 22nd Street 24-MAR-06

The Basile Builders Group, which is based in Brooklyn, is erecting a 13-story building at 125 West 22nd Street that will contain 33 condominium apartments and is known as Verde Chelsea.

The project has been designed by H. Thomas O’Hara and sales are anticipated to begin next month with completion in about a year.

The red-brick building has a couple of setbacks and features a 1,045-square-foot garden with a waterfall for the residents’ use.
    CHELSEA VERDE

http://www.corcoran.com/property/nd/...asp?ndevid=203

125 West 22nd Street
    New York, NY 10011

Overview

Verde Chelsea offers an escape from the world’s most dynamic city to quiet, relaxation, and private fun. With just thirty three homes, and no more than three homes per floor, this intimately scaled building provides the feeling that it belongs only to you. And with its beautifully designed interiors and common spaces, home will be your haven.

Verde Chelsea, designed by New York high-rise expert H. Thomas O’Hara, may be better known as the hanging gardens of 22nd Street. The building features multiple garden terraces that transform the architecture into a sculptural play of brick-clad volumes, and overflow with plants in spring and summer. Generously sized, double-hung windows drench the interiors in natural daylight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verde Chelsea_01.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	2215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verde Chelsea_02.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	2216  

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast