View Poll Results: Which starchitects deserve a demotion?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Calatrava

1 2.44%
  • Foster

2 4.88%
  • Gehry

7 17.07%
  • Zaha Hadid

8 19.51%
  • Libeskind

21 51.22%
  • Koolhaas

10 24.39%
  • Mayne

3 7.32%
  • Nouvel

5 12.20%
  • Diller & Scofidio

11 26.83%
  • Piano

9 21.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Starchitect Deserves Demotion?

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I'm not sure what you mean. The latter of what?
    Yeah, do you mean forumers prefer practice over theory? If so, please elaborate.

Yes. The forum prefers the finished product. Not that theory is necessarily superior to product when assessing the quality of architecture, only that it is understated here. Perhaps it would help us appreciate more of New York, rather than raising the hue and cry for mass demolition/replacement. I've certainly found that investigating the theoretical premises of many of the rather conventionally ugly buildings I come across has helped me gain a greater sympathy for them.

As for Foster and Calatrava being conservative- perhaps better words are uncontroversial and unprovocative. Their buildings tend to be found endearing by the public at large- Foster for his nicknameable geometry, Calatrava for his ultimately meaningless- by his own admission -aesthetic flourishes (see the Tenerife opera). Their buildings may be unprecedented, but are quite unchallenging. Neither cause us to ask "what is architecture? what is a building? what is urbanism?" There is a prepackaged, basic vocabulary in their work, one which allows it to settle in so well with the city and its people but ultimately fails to allow it to reach the level of a Guggenheim, which manages to transcend the city while still complementing it. Zaha and Koolhaas are not Frank Lloyd Wright, but we may need them to serve the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Yes. The forum prefers the finished product. Not that theory is necessarily superior to product when assessing the quality of architecture, only that it is understated here. Perhaps it would help us appreciate more of New York, rather than raising the hue and cry for mass demolition/replacement. I've certainly found that investigating the theoretical premises of many of the rather conventionally ugly buildings I come across has helped me gain a greater sympathy for them.
    You have a point. If you talk architectural theory on the forum, you can expect to get no response.

The Dude Abides

^I think that's a little harsh. Certainly, you wouldn't get the same number of responses, but there are definitely some people on this forum that would be willing to step out of the conventional framework of "I don't like this because it's ugly" and do some critical analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    ^I think that's a little harsh. Certainly, you wouldn't get the same number of responses, but there are definitely some people on this forum that would be willing to step out of the conventional framework of "I don't like this because it's ugly" and do some critical analysis.
    OK, pianoman, you're right; that was a little harsh. I take it back but still find myself wishing for more discussion of theoretical first principles.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    If you talk architectural theory on the forum, you can expect to get no response.
    When this was a brand new website the conversation was mostly about architecture, but eventually the topics broadened encompassing many other aspects of the city and city life. I've been noticing the current active members are discussing architecture a lot once again. Seems to come in waves with new skyscraper news.

More than half of us think Libeskind deserves to be demoted.

Every time I see the thread title I read it "Which Starchitect Deserves Demolition".

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Every time I see the thread title I read it "Which Starchitect Deserves Demolition".
    Maybe that can be the next poll question.

More than half of us think Libeskind deserves to be demoted.
    If that's so, then Childs requires assassination, and Costas slow, cruel torture.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    If that's so, then Childs requires assassination, and Costas slow, cruel torture.
    Those guys were already lowly in our eyes, while Libeskind may have been overrated and due for a reputation correction.

Rumor has it that Libeskind seems to be in line for some new work out west ...

The Heidi Chronicles

In which our heroes survive roadside breakdowns, barren deserts, abandoned towns, a brothel war, and an assortment of cowboys, pimps and angry locals on the road to America’s first stud farm

LA WEEKLY
    By STEVEN KOTLER
    July 5, 2006

If you get on the freeway in Los Angeles and drive east into the dead heat of the Mojave Desert, take a left past the red rock spires of the Spring Mountains, then continue down lonely roads, past a string of one-horse towns and barren landscapes and a wide sky that will not quit, you’ll eventually find yourself at the ass-end of a forgotten highway, in the town of Crystal, Nevada, population 100 — no kids. Since this is just about the driest spot in all of America, you’ll be thirsty and wanting refreshment and thus may find yourself sitting in a bar caught in the middle of the state’s slowly burgeoning brothel wars, doing what essentially amounts to espionage with an assortment of cowboys, pimps and hookers. And if you’re like me, or like other people from Hollywood who suddenly find themselves in such a compromising position, you may wonder how things could ever have gotten so precarious. Well, the long answer is what follows, but the short answer is Heidi Fleiss.

Heidi Fleiss, the ex–Hollywood Madam, the woman who used to stash clumps of cash beneath her mattress, the woman who took the fall and didn’t name names, the woman who served three years’ hard time for being, in her own words, “a flesh peddler,” is going legit. Oh, sure, she’s still going to peddle flesh, but she wants to do it legally this time. Her plan is to open a brothel in Crystal, about 80 miles outside of Las Vegas. It isn’t going to be like any other brothel in America, or anywhere else for that matter. Her establishment will cater to women. Only women. Her hookers will be men, gigolos to be exact.

Heidi Fleiss is trying to open a stud farm. Technically, she’s trying to become America’s first stud farmer.

I had called Fleiss at her home in Nevada because I wanted to drive out and see her stud farm.

“You know there’s nothing to see,” she told me. “Nothing’s built. I’ve got 60 acres of desert. It’s just cactuses.”

... In earlier statements to the press, she told CNN that the building would cost about $1.5 million ... Her plans now include everything from a spa to peepshow rooms. To design those rooms, she told me, she had hired World Trade Center architect Daniel Libeskind, and they were in “preliminary phases.” Whatever those phases are, when I reached Libeskind’s office, no one there had any idea what I was talking about, nor, they said, had they been in contact with Fleiss...

© Copyright 2006 LA Weekly, LP

Did she hire him to design or be in the peep show?

The Dude Abides

Both of those^ are scary and disturbing possibilities.

Well, it's been almost two weeks, and Libeskind's the runaway winner of this one (was there ever any doubt?); fully 55% of voting forumers think he should be kicked downstairs. Will Danny make a comeback?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast