Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Condo Lofts - 133 West 14th street - by William Q. Brothers

Cool New Condo Lofts - 133 West 14th street - by William Q. Brothers

I'
    Last edited by seven; July 29th, 2006 at 10:55 PM.

Tell us more about the building / developer so people can offer their two cents.

Is there a website? How big are the lofts? What floor would you be on and are you facing 14th Street? Whats the price per sq ft?

REAL DEAL says 7 units here.

DOB Records (Schedule A) show 6 Floors plus Penthouse.

APPLICATION for conversion from Commercial to Residential (originally Filed in 1999, Approved in 2005) shows:

Gross Sq. ft.: 14,555

Lot Dimensions: 103.5' x 25'

By those numbers (and considering common spaces) each unit @ 1 unit per floor will be < 2,000 ft. sq.

It seems that the Architect is:
    JACOB KANNER
    JK DESIGN
    Phone:718-544-2686
    41 KEW GARDENS RD
    KEW GARDENS, NY 11415

Is the price right (including purchase + maintenance)?

There are a relatively small number of units in this building so any future maintenance, up-grades, etc. will be apportioned at a fairly high rate per unit. What is the condition of the building + building systems? What is the quality of the work being performed for transition from commercial to residential?

What has happened with other conversions along 14th St. in the immediate area of your building regarding re-sale?

I would think that these should be your major points of focus / research.

14th St. is not the best location (although it could be argued that this particular block is in some ways better than the blocks immediately to either the east or the west).

But who would have thought the Bowery would ever go condo (as is currently happening)?

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    ... all i want to know is if there are any plans to improve 14th street, or is there any other project in the works that will make it prettier looking, etc
    Website for the BID for that area (although it sems it only covers 14th St. as far west as 6th Ave.): http://www.unionsquarenyc.org/

For some perspective on how far 14th St. has changed here is a NY Times 1990 article on improvements / 14th Street-Union Square Local Development Corporation:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A966958260

Another NY Times article from 2000 with info on your block: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A9669C8B63

I found this listing:

http://www.theurbanaddress.com/listi...ting_id=955442

i dont love the floorplan but having a keyed elevator into the apt is great. the price psf is good a sub 1000 however its hard to tell about the finishes.

that block will improve although it will always be 14th street and will be a major cross street with lots of commerical space.

given the decent price psf and monthlies that look okay, your equity is probably pretty safe.

The placement of the fireplace (the black square in the picture below) is somewhat awkward. Given the entry to the kitchen it doesn't seem that you can ever sit in front of it and enjoy it:

Seven: Don't mean to trash your place before you even move in

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    ...124 west 18th (aren't you there, Lofter?)
    Not I ... and nowhere near there (using "near" in the usual NYC context).

if you like the other apt just as much or more, why would you sign on this one?

What has the marketing agent said about that? How aggressively have they been marketing the development?

From a contractual perspective, you need to find out how having a majority of unsold units will effect your closing, rights after closing, common charges, etc. As you said, your attorney can help you with that.

You should definitely mark up the contract heavily in your favor (and think about getting a price concession or help with closing costs) if they haven't sold anything yet.

Default Hi

I lived on 14th Street between 5th and 6th and I would never do it again. Of course, everyone is different. But 14th street is loud and always busy. I guess if your in the mood for KFC or Popeyes Chicken your in luck. I think 14th street has more fast food chains than any other street in nyc.
    The one aspect that bothered me the most, was the little store that always had people playing Mario Brothers Nintendo game out front. Everyday I walked by I would hear that same game playing. Yikes!

I recommend a residential block with less traffic and noise. Have you seen any other apartments? Did you already go to contract?

Default One last thing...

I have done a walk thru in that building when it first opened. The finishes are somewhat cheap. You will probably need to dump 100-200K in renovations.

That ^ should cheer up Seven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast