Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Condo Lofts - 133 West 14th street - by William Q. Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by jefffields25
    I have done a walk thru in that building when it first opened. The finishes are somewhat cheap. You will probably need to dump 100-200K in renovations.
    that is grim...

Banned Member

Sounds like you are confident and excited and THAT is the best way to go into a purchase. Congratulations!

I took a look at this development and have to say it was underwhelming - not enough thought gone into their creation, cheapskate completion and high asking prices for this 'quality' level.

They really should have put balconies on the bedrooms at the back to give each floor some air and space for a coffee chair, and the detail finish is just too low grade - with penny pinching ruining the deal. the kitchen units and fittings are dreadful, same in the bathrooms. fireplace horrible and in a bad position. you're paying for stuff you'd have to rip out.

sellers asking prices are high but falling. Unless you got a really good deal (for me that would be something like 1,250,000) then its simply too much for 14th st. I'd back out if you are paying above this. just eat the costs so far and look again. its turning into a buyers market out there and something better will come along.

I didnt mean to come down hard on it, but you really should be getting an excellent price on this if you are the first one in there. It does sound like it suits your specific needs, and it is good that there's just one unit per floor - but thats my best positive shot.

actually my requirements are not so different to yours, and if the lower units were around 1,250,000 I might be interested (though with a long list of things to be fixed). The amount of space is ok, but there are no views to speak of, and its not a great street by any means. also be sure that the ground floor retail unit is not and cannot ever be a restaurant - unless you love KFC fumes.

The prices are going gently down at the moment - there's a slow down in sales for sure, so be cautious with your hard earned $. If you are happy with it in every other way and prepared to throw out the crappy fittings and spend many $ replacing the kitchen and bathrooms, then fine. (for that matter the main front windows are the cheapest they could find too)

The tide is going out, and your offer may have been a fair one 4/5 months ago, but now its beached a little high. If you haven't signed, I'd drop it by $100,000 or move along.

all of this is just my 2c worth, of course.
    Last edited by peegeenyc; July 29th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.

what happened to all the original posters messages on this list - why have they all been deleted?

I biked past this bulding today and realised its directly opposite the huge 14th st Salvation Army homeless shelter. strange nobody has mentioned that here, as its quite a big factor in the quality of the life in the neighbourhood.
    Last edited by pyardley; July 30th, 2006 at 12:19 PM.

Looks like SEVEN has done some housecleaning and deleted all his posts ....

Quote Originally Posted by pyardley
    what happened to all the original posters messages on this list - why have they all been deleted?

I biked past this bulding today and realised its directly opposite the huge 14th st Salvation Army homeless shelter. strange nobody has mentioned that here, as its quite a big factor in the quality of the life in the neighbourhood.

I'm back.
    I erased my posts because i was starting to sound retarded.

FYI the Salvation Army Building is NOT an homeless shelter (not that there is anything wrong with that) but is a beautiful building (art deco?) that is an administrative office.

And i do believe that NY is changing fast. KFC today will become an avant guard boutique tomorrow, you'll see
    Last edited by seven; July 30th, 2006 at 09:32 PM.

Banned Member

Any bets on whether Seven is a broker trying to do a little guerilla marketing, which backfired?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

If that's the case he's seriously barking up the wrong tree.

Default interesting

I have definitely noticed that on a few threads there are some folks who feel like they could be brokers (thread on 20 Pine is one that comes to mind)

Banned Member

It gets tiresome. Any blatant posts by broker should be flagged by clicking the icon on the top left of the post with the red triangle and exclamation point. We all try to keep the site clean of TOS violations.

didn't seem like a broker to me - felt genuine. but maybe I'm being gullible?

anyway this thread pops up #1 if you google that address, and it fairly critically assesses the studios. not great news for the seller. they still seem ambitiously priced to me, even at 1.4m.

I am seeing places in the 1.4- 1.5 mark dropping their prices by $150,000 after 50/60 days on the market. the choice is getting better out there, and poor quality builds or weak locations are going to have to be discounted to sell.

if seven was genuine, then looking at the posts (Google>Cache) he seemed to be paying 1,450,000. they are now accepting at 1,400,000 so... it seems a premium is being asked of him.

looks like he's gotten bitten a little by being the first. That can't be a nice feeling, so I'd pull out if not in contract. just quit and go clean away, then you can always come back when they've woken up to the new market of H2 2006.

Are they double hung windows?

If so is the upper window installed on the inside of the lower window? That could allow water to gather on the top of the lower window.

Or maybe I'm not understanding how the water is coming in.

(Assuming you've checked to make sure there is GLASS in the windows )

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

If you look at the old thread, I thought seven said (s)he was a first time buyer, but then everything was deleted. Others mentioned being able to google the old deleted posts but I could not find them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast