Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

They thought he was taking too long?

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    They thought he was taking too long?
    They probably thought he was taking too long AND charging too much....... LOL

Cheers

The owners will pay more and take longer by changing the contractor. The site sat dormant for a month, that helps no one. It's all politics and under the table stuff even at this level of construction. The building got started when the current contractors were busy, they were always going to be brought in. The original deal was rotten from the start.

Interesting.

Does anyone know who the facade sub-contractor is for this project? Or where the glass is coming from?

Framing the 12th floor. Pace should pick up soon. Overall I'd say 4-6 months behind original schedule.

Hasn't changed much in the last two weeks.

See 56 Leonard's Facade O' Jenga Blocks Become A Reality

by Hana R. Alberts

The Tribeca Citizen has snapped a photograph of the rising Herzog and de Meuron tower at 56 Leonard Street from the exact same angle as a prior rendering, and it's supremely cool to see how the two match up. Enjoy this now, because apparently the next phase of construction is a "less exciting midsection," but get excited, because we can actually sort of envision what that corner will look like.

Seen & Heard: 56 Leonard Is Taking Shape [TC]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._a_reality.php

There must be some way to improve on that dirty/blotchy/raw look of exposed concrete form work. I know there is a school of thought on the intended "gritty urban industrial" look ; but I don't agree - and I believe most people just don't GET IT.

So why keep doing IT..

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    There must be some way to improve on that dirty/blotchy/raw look of exposed concrete form work. .
    It's called "precast concrete".

For wet poured concrete in the weather that Manhattan gets? 56 Leonard looks pretty damn good.
    Last edited by IrishInNYC; March 5th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    56 Leonard looks pretty damn good.
    The two adjoining pictures below are a perfect 'reference' point: the smooth whitish 'finished look" depicted in the top image/rendering - that 'looks good' . The 'actual photo' below, that looks crummy: if the 'as built' result looked like the 'rendering' - that would be better. IMHO.....

The two adjoining pictures below are a perfect 'reference' point: the smooth whitish 'finished look" depicted in the top image/rendering - that 'looks good' . The 'actual photo' below, that looks crummy: if the 'as built' result looked like the 'rendering' - that would be better. IMHO.....
    You can't seriously compare a render of concrete to the real thing. It is poured in temperatures ranging from 20 to 100 degrees over the duration of a project like this. It is mixed using natural aggregates over the course of months and years. It is poured, pumped and cajoled up increasing heights where it is then vibrated, shoveled, spread and vigorously molested into position.

And actually, IMHO (and considerable experience with concrete and this project) the second picture above makes the concrete edges look quite exceptional. When the light hits them from varying angles they will look even better.

I can't wait (I know it will be a while) for the sculpture to be installed. I really hope they widen the sidewalk there or do some kind of an island. I think if they were to eliminate the lamppost on that corner it would make for countless beautiful new pictures. Instagram galore.

There must be some way to improve on that dirty/blotchy/raw look of exposed concrete form work. I know there is a school of thought on the intended "gritty urban industrial" look ; but I don't agree - and I believe most people just don't GET IT.

So why keep doing IT..
    Really??

I will take blotchy concrete on an building design that required some imaginative effort any day over clean and perfect cement (which we know its not) on that mental excrement Vinoly gave us on 432 Park .