Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

Ok, i don't really want to drag this line of thinking into too many threads, AND I really like 56 Leonard, but I still really like 432Park. Show me another building with the nuts to be so square. Even the original WTC had chamfered edges and strong verticals with no horizontals. It doesn't even need to be the tallest in the city with, what I believe, to be one of the highest height to width ratios ever.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Ok, i don't really want to drag this line of thinking into too many threads, AND I really like 56 Leonard, but I still really like 432Park. Show me another building with the nuts to be so square. Even the original WTC had chamfered edges and strong verticals with no horizontals. It doesn't even need to be the tallest in the city with, what I believe, to be one of the highest height to width ratios ever.
    I don't mind that it's square all that much. Sure, the facade is somewhat repetitive and the form factor is boring, but I'd be open-minded about it if it were executed with style. But what exactly did Vinoly spend his time designing on this project? You'd think that since he didn't focus on the facade or form factor he'd give at least *some* thought to endowing the building with a modicum of proportion and grace. 432 is garishly ill-proportioned. It's completely out of whack. Just because you slap together a design that a 5-year-old could make with Legos and erect it on one of the most prominent corners in the city doesn't mean you have 'nuts.'

Vinoly should be ashamed, but given what I've heard about his sweatshop of an architectural firm, he has no shame.
    Last edited by Hamilton; March 6th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Look at the POS he designed for Greenwich St. He's a back.

March 8th, 2014

You can clearly see in the last photo above how they have left balconies off the main floor slab for now. (Rebar sticking out and coupler receivers visible)

©tectonic

I only just noticed that they changed out the tower crane. The costs and delays even to perform that are incredible.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You're right. It was a white-colored crane and now it's yellow. They did it so swiftly and quietly that no one here even noticed. Pros.

Must have been something really wrong with the previous one. Disaster averted?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    You're right. It was a white-colored crane and now it's yellow. They did it so swiftly and quietly that no one here even noticed. Pros.

Must have been something really wrong with the previous one. Disaster averted?
    Not at all. The previous one was brand new. It belonged to the concrete contractor forced off the job.

I just supposed they would have been forced to rent it to the next contractor but it appears otherwise.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I like that staggered corner in the mid section.

I don't think it's going to end up that way. I think those corners are going to be balconies added on later.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I don't think it's going to end up that way. I think those corners are going to be balconies added on later.
    Exactly. There are 7 or 8 balconies being added to all of those middle floors. In varying locations; they never stack.

If I lived in that low floor unit with the outcropping living room with giant windows, I would have to regularly stand naked just to amuse the fine Tribeca folks.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It would also be perfect for doing drag shows.