Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

Looking at the view from my windows of this big yellow crane, 56 Leonard is set to rise in a direct line from my place down to 1 WTC. From here none of the 56 structure is yet visible, but I'll eagerly watch watch as this goes higher, hoping it doesn't eclipse too much of 1 WTC. Based on what I can see of the brutal brown phone building on Thomas, I'm thinking 56 might top out just below the upper vent floors at 1 WTC.

©tectonic

I'm sorry man, I feel like I've asked you this a million times, but you post-process, not shoot with a T&S lens, right? The pics always look so good.

Ha, post process, Photoshop to remove distortion. I use a filter on the lens as well, that makes the colors pop and gives that dark blue sky. Don't do much more than that, the rest is up to nature.

Looking at the recent site photos by Tectonic: it appears to me as if the are doing some sort of 'finishing' treatment on the outer edges of the exposed concrete floor/ceiling slabs. It would be great to see a smooth off-white skim coat finish go onto those edges: the blotchy raw concrete look is not 'appropriate' for this building IMHO. The same smooth off-white skim coat that is applied to the interior ceiling slabs need to 'also' be applied to those exterior edges. I realize there may be some technical issue with using the same interior skim-coat plaster on the exposed 'exterior' surfaces - but some weatherproof
    Formulation surely is achievable in modern day construction materials innovation.

I am always somewhat disappointed with the overal mediocrity and ineptitude that is rampant within the US construction industry as a whole: it will never be perfect, but could be a LOT better.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Looking at the recent site photos by Tectonic: it appears to me as if the are doing some sort of 'finishing' treatment on the outer edges of the exposed concrete floor/ceiling slabs. It would be great to see a smooth off-white skim coat finish go onto those edges: the blotchy raw concrete look is not 'appropriate' for this building IMHO. The same smooth off-white skim coat that is applied to the interior ceiling slabs need to 'also' be applied to those exterior edges. I realize there may be some technical issue with using the same interior skim-coat plaster on the exposed 'exterior' surfaces - but some weatherproof
    Formulation surely is achievable in modern day construction materials innovation.

I am always somewhat disappointed with the overal mediocrity and ineptitude that is rampant within the US construction industry as a whole: it will never be perfect, but could be a LOT better.
    They are definitely not touching the slab edges with any sort of finish coat. Nor the underside of exposed slabs. Any balcony or terrace that will be seen from below is finished by pouring the concrete on thick plastic sheets. This gives the finished concrete a glassy smooth look with random ripples and "creases".

And I disagree in that the edges could be better. Getting the methodology together for what you see now took about a year. The only way to make the reveals even better would have been to incorporate precast units which would have blown any sort of workable budget out of the water and introduced a host of compatibility and other buildability issues.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's pretty darn fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    They are definitely not touching the slab edges with any sort of finish coat. Nor the underside of exposed slabs. Any balcony or terrace that will be seen from below is finished by pouring the concrete on thick plastic sheets. This gives the finished concrete a glassy smooth look with random ripples and "creases".

Sorry to hear that they are not doing a smooth skim-coat finish on the exterior exposed slabs: but those "glassy smooth" concrete finishes sounds promising. I will have to wait and see the final results: even without the smooth white skim coat
    - the facade finishes will probably turn out fine.

August 16th, 2014

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Do those qualify as exposed floor plates?

I'm guessing they should.

I think so, but very acceptable ones.

a few more from 08.14.14.

©tectonic

Nice!

This type of intricate structure takes SO MUCh more time and money to build than a simple uniform concrete box like 432 Park; but is really worth the effort/expense when you see results that fascinate and delight in the way a building such as 56 Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Do those qualify as exposed floor plates?
    They do and on DKNY's 3rd picture from the top you can clearly see the creases I mentioned. Also, you can see how much better the balconies look compared to the slabs they butt to. When the glass goes in to hide the joint between the two the effect will be complete. The bottom of those balconies looks excellent.